False Teachers

_Benjamin Ho

False Teachers

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:50 am

Hi Steve,

There are many warnings against false teachers in the New Testament, and yet we do know that there are genuine Christians who have taught wrong doctrines. What differentiates between a false teacher and a genuine Christian who teaches wrong theology?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:52 pm

I know you most likely want Steve to reply and I dont blame you,
but thought of this;

2 Peter 2:3 the motivation for false teachers is covertousness....
One major motivation propels false teachers.. They are greedy for power, position, and popularity. They draw attention to themselves and away from the word, so that the follower can no longer discern truth from lies.

Gal 1:10,

approval of men/pleasing GOD
please men/servant of CHRIST
desire to fit in

I am awed at Paul's spiritual tenacity. After being stoned and left for dead, his heart still ached for the lost people of Galatia and for the spiritual protection of new believers. These new church's were Paul's babies; he cared for them, admonished them, and nutured them.

My opinion forgive me if wrong;
If a man is greedy for money, concerned more about projects than people, infiltrate new age teachings trying to mix with christianity
not a lover of truth and prosperity gospel he's subject to false teachings
hes a candidate for a false teacher.
IF a man loves truth and is seeking CHRIST yet teaching out of ignorance
and loves GODS people that is not false teaching out of gain but ignorance and he should be skilled in the word before trying to teach
GODS beloved..... Not many of you should become teachers!

Personally, I believe Mr. Gregg is a true teacher he has humility, character
and he's not greedy for money. Its obvious GOD has gifted him.
Reason:

_Benjamin Ho

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:53 pm

Dear believer,

I agree with you that motivation (i.e. what motivates) is something that would identify a false teacher. Like you, I was thinking of 2 Peter when I asked my question.

However, the apostle Paul doesn't seem to be too bothered with people who taught the right truth even if it came from wrong motives.

Philippians 1:15-18
15 Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill: 16 The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains; 17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice.

To summarise my thoughts simply,

1. True teachers teach from right motivations. They should be teaching what they believe are sound doctrines. However if they were to learn that what they are teaching is wrong, they must be willing to be corrected. Also, not all true teachers will share the same doctrinal conclusions after their study of the Bible. [I wonder if people who teach wrong doctrines from right motives can easily become end up teaching wrong doctrines with wrong motives, i.e. end up being false teachers.]

2. False teachers teach false doctrines from wrong motives.

3. A third group are those that teach sound doctrines but from wrong motives. This group needs to be warned to return to their first love (Rev 2:4) otherwise the work that they did would bring them no reward and they may find themselves removed from God's presence.

Those are my current thoughts but they are subject to correction.
Reason:
Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”