Justification for Salaried Clergy

darinhouston

Re: Justification for Salaried Clergy

Post by darinhouston » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:21 pm

mattrose wrote: 3. I've questioned the appropriateness of female pastoral/elder leadership. Though I myself don't consider this a huge issue. The Wesleyan Church is passionate about getting women involved in leadership.
Why don't you see it as a huge issue? If you interpret the passages in the way that teaches against it, it seems like pretty clear teaching and disregard would be blatant disobedience. If you interpret them otherwise, then I see no reason other than pragmatic ones to discourage women. Some just sort of don't care what Scripture teaches (I know you're not in that camp, but if your church does so, I would see that as a big deal).

Also, how is Wesleyan different from United Methodist? UMC is pretty dogmatic on infant baptism, for example, though I can't pin them down on their reasons for women leadership other than social correction of past discrimination and political awareness (not very good reasons in my opinion).

mattrose

Re: Justification for Salaried Clergy

Post by mattrose » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:53 pm

Why don't you see it as a huge issue? If you interpret the passages in the way that teaches against it, it seems like pretty clear teaching and disregard would be blatant disobedience. If you interpret them otherwise, then I see no reason other than pragmatic ones to discourage women. Some just sort of don't care what Scripture teaches (I know you're not in that camp, but if your church does so, I would see that as a big deal).
Yeah, I should have figured that line wouldn't go un-noticed :)

I guess what I mean is, the Wesleyans I know that argue for female elders/pastors believe they are interpreting properly. They don't have a "I don't have to listen to Paul" mentality, as some liberals or feminist theologians do. I have far less problem with someone who interprets something differently than me than with someone who just rebels against an agreed upon interpretation, if that makes sense. So when I say I don't take 'huge issue' with my fellow Wesleyans, its because, for Wesleyans, ones heart being right is most important, even if our interpretation skills are lacking. Hope that helps clarify.
Also, how is Wesleyan different from United Methodist? UMC is pretty dogmatic on infant baptism, for example, though I can't pin them down on their reasons for women leadership other than social correction of past discrimination and political awareness (not very good reasons in my opinion).
Wesleyans are pretty different from UM's it seems to me. The origin is the same, of course, but the split is pretty far back. Though every local church is different (I have a number of good UM pastor friends), most Wesleyan churches are more conservative and evangelical and most UM churches are more liberal and mainline. I’ve never seen a baby baptized in 25 years in the Wesleyan Church.

Return to “Teachers, Authors, and Movements”