Interfaith Ministries

darinhouston

Interfaith Ministries

Post by darinhouston » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:29 pm

What do you think about Interfaith benevolence/relief organizations ?

steve

Re: Interfaith Ministries

Post by steve » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

I would always prefer to do my good works in the name of Jesus—that is, through organizations that specifically give Him the glory for their benevolence. Doing things through secular or multifaith groups seems too much like being unequally yoked with unbelievers in ministry efforts.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:39 pm

That's how I feel, generally speaking. I only ask because I'm going to a luncheon honoring one of their leaders who has done a lot for refugee relief for the local interfaith group (luncheon is being chaired by my boss, so...) Anyway, my perspective has changed only slightly recently in hearing stories of joint relief projects being run between a local church and a local mosque. Though Christ wasn't front and center to those being relieved, they did get to see that Christians could work with other people and weren't only sign-bearing "haters" when it came to people of other faiths or beliefs. But, like you Steve, I had always looked at it from this "outside influence" perspective. The thing I hadn't considered was the effect on those of the other faith(s) alongside of whom the Christians might work. There were actually a number of conversion stories from that mission where Moslems were having their first real dialogue and shared experiences with Christians who they had never seen as being loving and accepting people. That provided the avenue for them to open their ears to "just who this Jesus guy was anyway." Just something for me to chew on and thought I'd share the perspective.

christopher

Post by christopher » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:54 pm

Darin wrote:
The thing I hadn't considered was the effect on those of the other faith(s) alongside of whom the Christians might work. There were actually a number of conversion stories from that mission where Moslems were having their first real dialogue and shared experiences with Christians who they had never seen as being loving and accepting people. That provided the avenue for them to open their ears to "just who this Jesus guy was anyway." Just something for me to chew on and thought I'd share the perspective.
Darin, this is exactly what I was thinking when I first read the title of this thread. I understand, and agree with, the desire for Jesus to get all the glory in ministry efforts. But at the same time, if Christians can shatter the "prima donna" perception of outsiders by working on kingdom things with non-kingdom people, there's a better chance of winning their audience to share the gospel as well. Once the perception barriers are down and ears are opened, how can anyone resist falling in love with Jesus?

Who knows? the Non-Christian organization could even ultimately be "converted" into a Christian one by the mustard seed that was planted in it.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Those are good points!

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Who is this Steve guy w/o hair on his head? An interloper? I wonder if the real Steve knows about this.:shock:

RickC

Post by RickC » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Steve,

Do you know anyone named "Delilah"?
Just curious, thanx, :D

steve

Post by steve » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:58 pm

The ponytail can't be seen in this picture...it was only a small one at the time (requiring a magnifying glass to see it). It is a bit more substantial now.

selah

Post by selah » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:24 am

RickC wrote:Steve,

Do you know anyone named "Delilah"?
Just curious, thanx, :D
:lol: LOL! It is so nice to pop in and see everyone. So glad to hear the hair is still there... ;)
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Went to another of these interfaith ministries luncheons (our company is a sponsor). I'm really troubled lately when I see how much good fruit and peace and love that seems to come from non-Christians and how little I see from Christians (generally speaking). It's really disturbing to me, and if anything cause me to question my faith, I think it would be the good seen in some non-Christians and the neutrality or downright bitterness and pessimism towards the world that many Christians exhibit.

Return to “Other”