Masons

darinhouston

Masons

Post by darinhouston » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Tom called with a comment about his experience with Masons being largely evangelical and seemingly "Christian." I don't know much about them but heard a historian discussing George Washington's supposed Masonic influences and he made a point I'd never heard before. He said there was a big distinction between the European Masons and those that formed in the U.S., and suggested that the US Masons didn't have the same ritualistic influence and other things typically associated with Masons. If true, I suspect over the years there may have been some intermixing or posing or downright adoption of some of those such that it is difficult to make universal statements about modern Masonry in the US.

Does anyone know more about this?

mattrose

Re: Masons

Post by mattrose » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:43 pm

it is difficult to make universal statements about modern Masonry in the US
I think that is true. Since the Masonic Lodge does not have a central headquarters (each state has it's own Grand Lodge), there is probably a lot of variety amongst US lodges. To further make the point, most Masons don't get past the 3rd degree level and, therefore, probably just treat the Lodge like a charitable social club (like the Rotary or Lion's Club). I'm not denying that there is some occultism/paganism present in US Masonry at the higher levels, I'm just saying that each lodge is different and each member thinks of the lodge differently.

I just read a bunch about the Masons as part of a men's group discussion. I created the following little informational guide (but I nuanced various points during the meeting)....

What is the origin of Masonry?
Originally, the ‘masons’ were simply a guild of stone workers in Europe during the Middle Ages. Individual members of the guild shared various religious perspectives with the group. In the 17th century, these close-knit guilds began allowing non-masons to join what was becoming an active fraternal organization. By 1717, the Grand Lodge of England was formed, uniting masons throughout the country. Masonry soon spread throughout the developing world.

How does it work?
Many communities have a Masonic Lodge. Men can either be invited or request membership and begin progressing through various degrees of Masonry. Membership appears to be on the decline (roughly 5 million), but Masonry has often yielded considerable influence relative to its size.

Is Masonry a religion?
Not all Masons think of Masonry in the same way.
 For many (perhaps most), being a Mason just means being part of a social club/fraternity and is akin to joining the Rotary or Lion’s Club.
 For others, Masonry is an understanding of 4 key principles (The Fatherhood of God, the brotherhood of man, the immortality of the soul, and Masonry as the hope of the future).
 Still others think of Masonry as the 1 true religion. This variety of Masonry tends to be very mystical and is connected to paganism and occult practices.
The higher up you go in Masonry, the more ‘religious’ it becomes.

From here on, we’ll focus on religious Masonry.

What do Masons believe?
 God: Masons must confess theism (atheists are excluded). Members are granted freedom to define God however they want. As they rise up the ranks, members are informed that the gods of various religions are the same God. In the highest degrees of Masonry, God is defined as pantheistic.
 Salvation: Masons believe that, in the end, all men will be saved (universalism). Salvation comes by acknowledging the truth of Masonry and, therefore, engaging in personal reformation (toward good works).

What are the significant symbols/rituals?
Symbols and ritual are used to teach Masonic ideals. The most famous symbol uses the square, compass, and often the letter G to emphasize morality, spirituality and God respectively.

What is good about Masonry?
 Masons are theistic
 Masons emphasize close fellowship/brotherhood
 Masons may be motivated by a desire for ultimate unity
 Masons are active in various ‘good works’

What is bad about Masonry?
 Masonry is a ‘secret society’
 Its higher degrees are thoroughly paganized
 It ultimately rejects the uniqueness of Jesus Christ
 It calls for the full allegiance of its members

Can a Christian be a Mason?
A Christian man might be ignorant of the teachings of Masonry and treat his Lodge just like one would treat any other social fraternity. But if a man comes to acknowledge the religious nature of Masonry, it would seem necessary for him to leave the Lodge out of allegiance to Christ. Besides, if a Christian Mason is looking for theists men to fellowship with and do good works, why not start a men's group in a church?

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:31 am

I have no personal association with any Freemason group or anything similar and I don't knowingly know anyone who does or ever did. I've just read the relevant Wikipedia pages and browsed various other informational sites and local masonry sites.

While reading, I was reminded - rightly or wrongly - in various ways and in no order of 1) the military 2) the Boy Scouts (for adults) 3) LARPing, and, of course, 4) religious ceremony.

The direction of a particular lodge depends mostly on the group of guys, I guess.

As has been stated and seconded, "it is difficult to make universal statements about modern Masonry in the US."

And that's pretty much all I'd say.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:30 pm

I have a friend whose family was very tied to the Freemasons and she has one big hairy story to tell one day. I would not touch them with a ten foot pole.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:43 pm

The only first-hand experience I've had with Masons as a group is to see those in the upper echelons march around the circus ring in their costumes prior to a Shriner's Circus.

Their is no doubt in my mind that their circus is top notch — far above most circuses in quality.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Here is something I just read that sounds like it is related to Masonry ceremony - but it is Mormon. Joseph Smith was a Mason.

danboyle
I never knew why people called mormonism a "cult"... until I went through the temple, in 1979.
I got the full cult treatment: naked washing and anointing, new name issued, then I, along with my parents and family, got to slit our throats together (ear to ear), disembowel ourselves, pledge everything we have and will ever have to the church, and promise not to disclose these secrets.....

It was, and still is, the most cult-like thing I have ever been involved in. I felt like running for the door, but just like every other cult, the peer pressure, family pressure and 19 years of indoctrination kept me there.

What a mistake I made by not getting the hell out of there.

"Recovery from Mormonism - http://www.exmormon.org"
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Return to “Other”