LDS and Evangelicals New Testament Dialogue

selah

LDS and Evangelicals New Testament Dialogue

Post by selah » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:09 pm

The New Testament is the historical account of the Savior to the world, Jesus Christ. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS), evangelicals and Catholics are among the believers of the New Testament. However, people's from these faiths often differ in WHAT they believe is actually meant in scriptural passages. This thread is an opportunity for believers to compare and contrast their views of the many teachings found within the New Testament.

My personal favorite scriptures from the NT both come from the book of John. John 1:1-5 because it describes WHO, in fact, Jesus really is, and John 14 through 17, because it is packed only with Jesus' words. At the time when He spoke the words recorded in John 14-17, He was literally our dying Hero. Therefore, Jesus' words here are impactful to me, because if you imagine someone listening to the final words of a loved one, especially knowing that loved one is about to die for your life, then you hang every breath on their final words! ('all four chapters of them)

Since LDS and Evangelicals differ in their concept of the Godhead, and since salvation is not dependent upon knowing every jot and tittle of theology, I am starting this dialogue in John 14:1. "Let not your heart be troubled; ye believe in God, believe also in Me."

Jesus is saying to His listeners, "Don't worry, since you believe in my Father, believe in Me too." Jesus is affiliating Himself with His Father, saying that if we believe in One, we should believe in the Other too.

In this scripture, we get consolation from our doomed Hero, Jesus Christ. He knows He is destined to die soon, but He consoles His disciples. I believe we can include ourselves as those receiving consolation too, because Jesus later says that everything He wants for the disciples in His presense, He also wants for us--"those who will believe in Me through their (the disciples) word." (John 17:20)

John 14:1 is cross referenced to John 14:27, where Jesus again says "...let not your heart be troubled; neither let it be afraid."

These sciptures cause me to think of a loving big brother or father who is about to give his life for me, and instead of drawing my attention to his pain and suffering, he comforts me and reassures me that there is nothing for me to be afraid of. This dramatic event causes me to love Him more, and deeply desire to bring honor to His name for as long as I live.

I don't know if my view is the "classic" evangelical view. I'm not even sure I am comfortable being called an "evangelical," as some have said I am. To me, I'm just a follower of Jesus Christ, and my way of understanding this verse is simple. I'm open to gaining a deeper understanding of the verse. How would you describe what John 14:1 means to you?
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Jill

Post by Jill » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:02 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

selah

Re: LDS and Evangelicals New Testament Dialogue

Post by selah » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:40 am

post deleted by selah...

God bless*:)
Last edited by selah on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus said, "I in them and you in Me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me." John 17:23

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon May 04, 2009 8:28 pm

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danny

Post by Danny » Mon May 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi Karen,

I think of the Bible as two arrows pointing towards each other, like this: -----> <-----
The left arrow is the Old Testament and the right arrow is the New Testament, from Acts to Revelation.
What is in the center, between the arrows, are the four Gospels; which is where we encounter the words and actions of Jesus.
The Old Testament points forward to Jesus.
The New Testament points back to Jesus.
Jesus is the center.
My blog: http://dannycoleman.blogspot.com

“Both read the Bible day and night, But thou read’st black where I read white.”
-- William Blake

selah

Post by selah » Mon May 04, 2009 11:01 pm

karenprtlnd wrote:As for the book of Matthew for instance. This is where I find the most objective and general writting of the actual event of Jesus Christ. I personally anchor here when opinions start to fly. Many folks have mastered several NT books simultaneously, while I still tend to keep each book seperate and on its own, just in case. How each of the 27 NT books and the order of these particular 27 masterpieces came together is still up for grabs in the various and many arenas including the historical ones. :) Please reply........
I recently ordered the MP3 set of Steve Gregg's lectures through the book of Matthew. You may go to http://www.digitalministries.us to listen and/or order from the webmaster. (If this is not the correct website address, it is linked from http://www.thenarrowpath.com.) This set is I believe, of 95 or 195 twenty minute lectures by our brother, Steve Gregg. When I heard the first lecture for the first time, I was amazed that Steve can find so many reasons to compel anyone, Christian, non-Christian, historian, secularist, atheist, agnostic, even antagonist have good reason to learn about this man Jesus Christ.

I think historians, LDS, Evangelical Christians, Catholics and a few other groups (like Russian Orthodox, etc.) would all agree upon the worldview, life-changing contribution of Jesus Christ. I guess some major questions some might have would be "is it a different Jesus" but for myself, the writer here? my position is one of open-arms. There may be some who would condemn me for that, saying that I allow the tickling of ears, but my position is still to open my arms and fellowship with people who differ with me on theology. My heart's desire is that we learn to live in unity as Jesus prayed in John 17! If we can do this, then rightly dividing the word and figuring out "who is right and who is wrong" would come from a place of total certainty in LOVE, without dispute, arguing and offensive attitudes. Only after proving unconditional lovingkindness does trust grow! Isn't LOVE what it is all about? If I am to be wrong, let me be wrong in loving you and you and you and you... We all need love that Jesus exemplified!
I'm LDS. I find out that you are christian. I get super excited, but I have some personal experience that the interest may not be mutual. So I usually just say nothing.
I think maybe something within this quote might speak of dashed-hope-which-leads-to-silence. From the bottom of my heart, I understand this! In a time of my life, based upon my own personal experiences, I became silent 'to death' and do you know what I think now? I think that is exactly what satan wants! He wants to discourage us and 'take us out' of the ambassadorship role that Jesus has called us into. If this is happening, let us encourage one another!

For we have found Jesus, and we have found others claiming to be Christians. Let's see what their fruits are, and have abundant lovingmercy on them if/when they fail (us) the Savior. It's a paradox to me, that we are to keep our eyes only on Jesus, yet also fellowship with mere humans. To accomplish this, it is good that we get to be in the Word everyday, worship in Spirit and in Truth, and continue growing in the LORD!

I would ask that we get to do this together! You are always in my prayers,
selah*

Jill

Post by Jill » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 am

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

selah

Post by selah » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:24 am

Jill wrote:I am able to admit that the LDS does go well beyond Sola Scriptura in its doctrines and teachings, but is everyone sure that others arn't guilty of these same or similar tendencies?

I'm not so sure...
When Jesus was on earth, the disciples held some beliefs that were not Scriptural. I think all through the ages, people have had a tendancy to minimize certain Scriptural edicts or extrapolate more than the author intended. Personally, it seems to me that I'm challenged daily to shed some thought or theology that is not supported in Scripture.

Jill

Post by Jill » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:49 am

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Latter Day Saints (aka Mormonism)”