Proof of Existence of God and Man Seeking God

Homer

Proof of Existence of God and Man Seeking God

Post by Homer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:51 am

Excerpt from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
The desire for God is written in the human heart, because man is created by God and for God; and God never ceases to draw man to himself.
One of the proofs I have heard that there is a God is the claim that man has a built in desire for God. It seems to be true in that mankind everywhere seems to have a religion of some sort that points to a higher power. Yet many Christian systems deny that man seeks God at all, God must first draw them or influence them or regenerate them. If this is true, what draws man to Islam or other religions? Aren't they seeking God, but just in the "wrong places"? Surely God is not drawing them there, is He?

Paul appears to say that men do naturally seek God:

Acts 217, NASB

22. So Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I observe that you are very religious in all respects. 23. For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, ‘TO AN UNKNOWN GOD.’ Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you. 24. The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25. nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things; 26. and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27. that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;

We can't have our cake and eat it too; a proof of God and doctrine that undermines it.

Comments?

TheEditor

Re: Proof of Existence of God and Man Seeking God

Post by TheEditor » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:34 am

Hi Homer,

Good point. It would seem that those that hold such an opinion are wrong, based upon the verses you cited. But then again, I am not a Calvinist, so I'll let a Calvinist answer the conundrum. :D

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:30 pm

I, too, think you are right about this, Homer.

It may seem that some people are not seeking God, but are rather seeking things other than God to give them pleasure and joy. However, in my opinion these people, in going after these other things, are actually seeking God without knowing it. Some day they will find the satisfaction that they crave—in God. In the mean time, they will continue their futile search, hoping that they will eventually find that which will satisfy.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

paulespino

Post by paulespino » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:34 pm

I heard someone mentioned in their teachings that there was a woman who lived in one of the mountain in Japan who has been worshiping a God whom she only knew from her heart and through her feelings. She felt that there is a God who is very powerful and who can someday bring her to heaven when she die but does not know this God's name.

One day a group of missionaries went up to this mountain and spoke to her about Jesus, immediately she recognized the God that the missionary mentioned to her and she said to the missionary that he is the one whom she has been worshiping and offering her prayers.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:50 am

I think the basic truths about God are obvious, and we would want to seek Him out except that we would 'rather' believe the lies. Because while seeking the true God we also may realize the truth about ourselves, which we would rather not believe. So having been created to seek Him out we don't, when we become aware of the truth of ourselves. Therefore men rather believe the lies.

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:07 pm

Paidion wrote:It may seem that some people are not seeking God, but are rather seeking things other than God to give them pleasure and joy. However, in my opinion these people, in going after these other things, are actually seeking God without knowing it. Some day they will find the satisfaction that they crave—in God. In the mean time, they will continue their futile search, hoping that they will eventually find that which will satisfy.
Well said. Humans seek and need joy. Though many people never seem to find it for more than a few fleeting moments, we all seek it. We fill our lives with things and stuff we think will make us happy but this is a never ending battle because there is always something newer, shinier and "better" to reach for. So we are never satisfied. My ex-husband is like that. And because his income isn't all that high, he can't always get the newer, shinier, better so he sees his life as less than good. I live on far less than he does and I can truly say I am happy. I am blessed in ways he doesn't even recognize as blessings. This is the true proof of God.

Return to “Christian Evidences & Challenges”