Video of Evolution Debate: Steve Gregg and Jon Perry

jonperry

Re: Video of Evolution Debate: Steve Gregg and Jon Perry

Post by jonperry » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:37 am

TheEditor wrote: why you have the conviction that belief in a Creator is an impediment to intellectual progress
You seem to think I said that a belief in a creator is an impediment to progress. I never said that but if you didn't click my links I see how you may have understood my words that way. Instead I said that creationism is an impediment to biology. When I speak of 'creationism' I'm not talking about anyone who believes in a creator. Instead I'm talking specifically about people who reject evolution because they believe in a creator. This rejection is unnecessary.

A belief that a God of one sort or another is behind creation does no harm to anyone; however, teaching kids that scientists are out to trick them, teaching kids to accept a supernatural explanation of things before examining the natural possibilities - these things DO harm us. They make us stop learning prematurely. This poison is the doctrine of the Young Earth Creation movement in the United States. It is the doctrine of Boko Haram in the east. It is garbage. It is not needed.

Please re-read my post above and make sure to check out the biologos link before posting further.

seer

Post by seer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 am

jonperry wrote: A belief that a God of one sort or another is behind creation does no harm to anyone; however, teaching kids that scientists are out to trick them, teaching kids to accept a supernatural explanation of things before examining the natural possibilities - these things DO harm us. They make us stop learning prematurely. This poison is the doctrine of the Young Earth Creation movement in the United States. It is the doctrine of Boko Haram in the east. It is garbage. It is not needed.
To be upfront Jon I am an open creationist, basically that means I don't have a clue - though I have no problem with young earth creationists. Now, I don't see the harm that you speak of. So what if Christians teach their kids these thing? Science will march on with or without us. And remember according to our worldview there is a great deceiver at work in this world who could or does deceive large groups of men, scientists included. Then there is our "sin nature" that tends not to glorify God. So I certainly hold out the possibility that science is completely wrong or deceived in many of their conclusions - including macro-evolution or the age of the earth, lack of a global flood, etc... And it is after all a fact that the materialistic ethos is largely being fueled by modern science. This of course reduces the human person to a biological accident, with no overriding purpose and no more inherent worth than a common house fly... Talk about dangerous doctrine...
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi Jon,

You wrote:
Please re-read my post above and make sure to check out the biologos link before posting further.
I will check out the links you provided as time permits. But, considering this thread stands on it's own, I will respond. I was replying to the relatively few statments you have made here, so if I did not understand your position fully, then I apologize. However, you did use a superstitious view of animism and the grandfathered-in notions regarding the supernatural as an example of religion making one cease to look for an answer, an answer that might have been of benefit. Fair enough; if this were a forum that advocated ignoring scientific inquiry because of superstitious fears. Since this is a forum frequented mainly by people who believe in God and apparently do like to engage in inquiry, I thought it an apples and oranges example.

Regards, Brenden.

PS. My other observations still stand. :)
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:03 pm

wassup with that picture of yours? Update it already
lol...it's an old inside joke...just ignore the pic. A real one of me would be too frightening! :lol:
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:33 am

TheEditor wrote:lol...it's an old inside joke...just ignore the pic. A real one of me would be too frightening! :lol:
LOL... I was actually referring to your comment concerning Jon's elementary school picture :lol:

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:04 pm

LOL... I was actually referring to your comment concerning Jon's elementary school picture
Ha! I get it now. Although, that picture of me does need to be updated as it is from the 1860s or 1870s I believe.... :lol:

Regards, Brenden.

SteveF

Post by SteveF » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:53 am

Seer wrote:
So what if Christians teach their kids these thing? Science will march on with or without us
I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you advocating that it's okay for Christians to live in willful ignorance?

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:55 pm

However, you did use a superstitious view of animism and the grandfathered-in notions regarding the supernatural as an example of religion making one cease to look for an answer (Editor)
True, you can dig up dingbats on either side of the debate. I could go on about how religious people, Christians and scientists have all made huge blunders, and will continue to do so, but we all know that already.

You can basically put all who believe in a great Creator on one side, and all who do 'not' believe in a *Creator on the other.
Making and taking random punches and instances from each side could go on for eternity as humans are on both sides.
The question is ‘Is there a Creator?’ And based on what?
Based on the fact that ‘there is’ a Creation (or a bunch of things that evolved to look as if they were created, if you’re an evolutionist).
I agree YECs are totally off base, just as agnostics and atheists and every human being is off base on something, but that is not the base of the argument, does evolution or creation make sense should be the argument.

How complex does creation have to be before you have to say this could not have happened on its own?

(*Note, I did not say 'God', a creator creates, other gods just stand by and wonder what is going to happen)

seer

Post by seer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:13 am

SteveF wrote:Seer wrote:
So what if Christians teach their kids these thing? Science will march on with or without us
I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you advocating that it's okay for Christians to live in willful ignorance?
I'm saying it doesn't make much of a difference. If their belief, which may include the possibility of massive demonic deception that could taint scientific conclusions, helps to bolster their faith in Christ and the veracity of scripture then I see no down side. In the end will God really be angry if His children took His word more literally?
Thanks to the human heart by which we live, thanks to its tenderness, its joys, and fears, To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears. Wordsworth

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:42 am

Seer, I think Gods Word tells us to seek truth, and be wise of craftiness. We do not want to attribute lies to God, and truth to be coming from the Serpent. In all our learning we are told to get understanding, I do not think Solomon was speaking only of bible knowledge but to seek wisdom in all our thinking. Then you will end up at Jesus.

Return to “Creation/Evolution”