Why I think the Age of the Earth Matters

anochria

Re: Why I think the Age of the Earth Matters

Post by anochria » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:49 am

mattrose:
If we're honest, Old Earth Creationism is not a Bible-first approach to the issue. It's a science first approach. Scientists say the earth is very old and so we re-read the Bible in that light. I'm not saying this antagonistically either. It might be RIGHT to approach scientific issues (like the age of the earth) with a science first approach (this is usually connected with the idea that the Bible is not a science textbook, which is true enough). But I think if we are honest we'd have to admit that most people reading through the entire Bible would assume that it teaches a recent creation.
I find the biblical evidence for an old earth to be quite solid. And notable ancient interpreters thought the creation week was longer than a mere 168 hours without being influenced by modern scientists.

steve:
In my opinion, Christians should not try to wed their biblical interpretation to controversial scientific scenarios.
In my mind you're describing "scientific" creationism, not the old earth scenario, which no one but some Christians consider controversial.

steve:
That is, we should not, without compelling biblical reasons, hitch our wagon to any current paradigm which has not yet accounted for all the existing evidence.
But I do think there are compelling biblical reasons to reject the 7 24 hour day creation week view, Ussher's chronology, the macroevolution young earthers must support to get speciation from the ark, etc.... (the list goes on)

To Homer, I'd just say that I think you're overly cynical, but this is merely a battle of our opinions :D However, on scientific issues, again, I'd point to the damage done in church history due to the church refusing to engage with science. If you are reminded at how often the scientific community has been wrong on scientific issues, how about how often the "church" has been wrong on scientific issues?
Pastor Josh Coles, Aletheia Christian Fellowship
Visit the Aletheia Discussion Forums

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi Anochria,

You wrote:
To Homer, I'd just say that I think you're overly cynical
And you would be correct :(

If you are reminded at how often the scientific community has been wrong on scientific issues, how about how often the "church" has been wrong on scientific issues?
Good point. "The Church" has been and continues to be wrong about many things :oops:

God bless, Homer

anochria

Post by anochria » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:30 am

And you would be correct
:lol:

Well, I guess I'm glad there are cynics out there... we all need them around ;)

Jill

Post by Jill » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:49 am

Last edited by Jill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:58 am

Hi Anochria,

You wrote:
Well, I guess I'm glad there are cynics out there... we all need them around
Perhaps I should clarify:

Definition of cynic:
1. A person who believes all people are motivated by selfishness.
2. A person whose outlook is scornfully and often habitually negative.
3. Cynic A member of a sect of ancient Greek philosophers who believed virtue to be the only good and self-control to be the only means of achieving virtue.
1. Correct, unless you are born again. And then we still struggle. :oops:

2. Not me :D

3. Not me :D

As one who remembers well the scare in the 70's when scientists were warning of the coming ice age, and the numerous hoaxes among the evolutionists, a little cynicism is good. Have you read the book Icons of Evolution by Jonathan Wells? He demolishes several of the supposed proofs of evolution that are in our textbooks. I highly recommend the book.

God bless, Homer

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:09 pm

I just watched these videos recently (actually I still have to watch #4):

Why Young Earth Creationists Must Deny Gravity, Part I
Why Young Earth Creationists Must Deny Gravity, Part II
Why Young Earth Creationists Must Deny Gravity, Part III
Why Young Earth Creationists Must Deny Gravity, Part IV

After those, at this point I am largely convinced that the universe shows evidence of great age. I was naturally drawn to this thread and I have to say that I am really drawn to Anochria's ideas, though currently in doubt.

I have some ideas how the universe could be old and the Earth young, but I am no longer so sure that desperately finding some way to allow the Earth to be young is really the best route to go.

Here's my take on it:

I believe that worldly science is improper, as it artificially constrains the exploration of truth to only those things that can be repeatedly tested via very narrow means. Its logic is tantamount to the command to "have no presuppositions; believe NOTHING that has not been scientifically proven." However, it all falls apart the moment you realize that does have foundational presuppositions and they cannot be proven scientifically! One cannot, using this kind of science only, support the idea that only science makes anything worth believing.

Instead, the kind of science I believe in is closer to the following:
  1. Bi-value excluded-middle logic is accepted without proof. Anyone who believes there is no meaning or that logic & reason are not the only tools we use to arrive at, apprehend, and examine meaning, may exit the discussion as I don't want to waste my time. Even spiritually or miraculously-given truth is apprehended through reason: the awareness of the sensation of spiritual receipt of a truth then gives reason for giving it credence, otherwise there can be no distinction from purely random and meaningless organic impulses.
  2. Have no unexamined presuppositions; reexamine one's presuppositions often; don't be loyal to presuppositions but rather to truth.
  3. The truth of a thing is grasped in a way appropriate to that truth. I don't learn whether there are any clouds in the sky in bed with my eyes covered, but by going outside and looking. I might get ideas about it from what I can sense inside the house, but I won't really know until I look. Similarly, if there is a supernature, it would be unreasonable to try to learn about it entirely through material perception, though material perception might in some cases hint at the existence of supernature.
I believe that this kind of science is ultimately nothing more than an exploration of God's truth (a.k.a. all truth) via rational means; and that rationality is one of the primary ways that we bear the image of God. In other words, God is a scientist of the latter kind because he is rational, ordered, coherent, logical, and believes only truth, so we also in our attempt to learn the truth of everything are automatically scientists as well.

So I believe that properly reasoned science is authoritative. Yes, I very firmly believe that the material that comes out of establishment science is almost always skewed sharply away from anything that would point to the reality of God or supernature. Establishment science cannot in fact address supernature at all, overlooks that it cannot support its own foundational presuppositions through itself, and does in fact secretly accept nonscientifically-proven things such as logic, truth, ontological permanence (things are the same each time we look at them, they don't randomly change), and so on.

When science conflicts with my religious views, due to my seeing them both as equally valid evidences, I suspend judgment for a time while staying in uncertainty, and I keep investigating. Yet, I think staying uncertain indefinitely is an error. Eventually, I think decisions ought to come, and I don't give my religious views an automatic win over science. For example, some people believe in transubstantiation of the elements in the eucharist, while I think that all the scriptural and scientific evidences completely militate against this belief, making it little more than crass superstition (with great apologies to Catholics who sincerely believe it for saying that so bluntly). From my perspective as an outsider looking at transubstantiation, I can completely understand an atheist's amazement at the credulity of people who believe in a young Earth and/or universe.

My view of the Bible has slowly been changing, mostly from listening to Steve. I don't esteem it less than before, but I have a much clearer idea now of what I think about it. I actually believe that not thinking of every word in it as magic esteems it more, because making the book into something it is not sets it up as a straw man for easy dismissal by nonbelievers, and that is a tragedy, not honoring to God's word but distorting it unfaithfully.

After watching those videos, I'm starting to think more and more that perhaps the Earth isn't so young after all. I will think about this for a long time—no quick decisions for me. But I am holding less and less to the Traditions I was unknowingly inculcated in (and uncritically accepted). I am more and more yearning for real truth that is supportable. Christians have so often made Christianity into something they shouldn't. Why should I assume that my cherished ideas were right? A ruthless willingness to correct self-delusion is one of the hallmarks of wisdom. I want to be wise.

So... is a young Earth absolutely necessary? Does coming to believe in an old Earth do actual violence to the Bible, or does it only do violence to my ideas about what the Bible was saying, and it really either said something else or was silent where I put meaning in? Is my belief that the Earth is young cherished but not solid rock?

I don't know.

Erik

P.S. If gravity distorts space, and space is curved, who is to say that time cannot also be curved? What if there is a steep, smooth time gradient centered around our solar system that makes time pass more slowly here than in the rest of the universe?

P.P.S. The appearance of age idea is often dismissed as far-fetched and even making God into a liar. But I am not so sure. If I created a world of people in my computer like The Sims™, I'd put stars in the sky for them to see. While I realize this is simply repeating the physical universe's model so I haven't automatically proven anything, I find the analogy useful in many ways. Not the least useful of which is the comparison of nature (wholly within the running program) and supernature (the reality-behind-the-reality of the computer hardware and my, the programmer's, existence). Could I not place stars in the sky and make the photons arrive in the eyes of my little computer people observers correctly, but also allow them, if they developed the means to actually travel to those stars, to do so? There is no problem to making the first computerperson an adult, with hair on its head that implies time passing which actually didn't. In this simulation, miracles stop being so amazing, because they are just the programmer directly altering things at runtime (rather than the physics engine continuously progressing from state to state). And the initial starting state of the simulation had most things intact, not beginning with a Big Bang.
- In the service of the Emperor of the Universe -

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:35 pm

Christians have so often made Christianity into something they shouldn't. Why should I assume that my cherished ideas were right?

I think we tend to pick the wrong battles at the cost of the war. The hebrew word "yom" allows the creation days to be any length of time so why must we insist on 24 hour days when Moses did'nt? In fact "yom" is used in Gen 2 to describe something other then 24 hours and again in Psalm 90 by Moses as again not 24 hours.
I read Hugh Ross's info awhile ago and i think he showed many scientific methods that all show the universe to be around 15 billion years old and if that is true then the YECs must argue that God built age into the appearance of everything but i think this should not be a default position because there is no reason to believe this idea.
If this topic comes up in my world i simply say that the bible allows for an old earth and universe and leave it at that.

anochria

Post by anochria » Thu May 20, 2010 11:56 pm

So... is a young Earth absolutely necessary? Does coming to believe in an old Earth do actual violence to the Bible, or does it only do violence to my ideas about what the Bible was saying, and it really either said something else or was silent where I put meaning in? Is my belief that the Earth is young cherished but not solid rock?
I'm just now reading the last two posts here. And I'd like to say that I'd love to dialogue with any of you about whether or not the old earth view "does violence" to Scripture (perhaps needless to say, I don't think it does).

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri May 21, 2010 3:34 pm

I'm just now reading the last two posts here. And I'd like to say that I'd love to dialogue with any of you about whether or not the old earth view "does violence" to Scripture (perhaps needless to say, I don't think it does).

I guess it would depend on whether you believe the bible lists every Patriarch from every generation since creation or only that it highlights the more important Patriarchs and their generations.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri May 21, 2010 3:44 pm

steve7150 wrote:I guess it would depend on whether you believe the bible lists every Patriarch from every generation since creation or only that it highlights the more important Patriarchs and their generations.
How so? Man wasn't created at the beginning of Day 1.

Return to “Creation/Evolution”