Holy Spirit as connection to Jesus

darinhouston

Re: Holy Spirit as connection to Jesus

Post by darinhouston » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:28 pm

So, did Jesus have a Spirit before his baptism? Whose? What happened when the dove descended?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:17 am

Well since I see the Holy Spirit as God, then I see him as an extension of God in the same way Christ is. The problem is he is differentiated from the Son and Father.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:31 am

I'm not sure if Darin was asking whether or not Jesus had a human spirit or a His own Spirit prior to His baptism, He certainly had 'a' spirit or He would have been dead. Still the manifestation or descending of the Holy Spirit upon Jesus here, was specifically a sign for John, and it does not have to mean The Holy Spirit and The father were 'not' with Him already. It seemed to be necessary for John, to fulfill things, as was the baptism itself. It may be observed that we don't know where the Spirit comes and goes, and as such, we should note the disciples also had the Spirit, even prior to the day of Pentecost. It seems that when The Spirit appears, or is mentioned - something takes place or is fulfilled - that seems consistent with scripture. Not so much as - The Spirit goes and comes back - rather the Spirit when He is mentioned, does something.

“The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God" (Luke). It also seems that if Jesus birth was of The Holy Spirit, then He may very well had the Holy Spirit, as nothing would indicate The Spirit left Him.

I might add that "For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body... and were all made to drink of one Spirit' so I do not see how we can separate The One Spirit from the One Body, and who is Christ Jesus, and who gives us this Living water.

Return to “The Trinity”