"Somehow ...", "Some kind of ..."

Singalphile

"Somehow ...", "Some kind of ..."

Post by Singalphile » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:58 pm

This is random, but I'm in a posting mood (me and grayham, which is a cool name, btw, assuming it's a Lord of the Rings reference).

It's probably not all that insightful, but I want to mention this observation (which came to me as I was listening to a sermon by a guy whose name I don't recall):

When you hear a person trying to explain a view that he or she disagrees with, you'll often hear him or her use words like "somehow" and "some kind of".

That strikes me as a bit of subtle, disparaging rhetoric. It seems meant to imply that the concept being explained is convoluted or half-baked or just plain nonsensical. Not always, of course, but if a person doesn't fully understand another viewpoint, then he or she should say so up front, I think. Otherwise, I expect that he or she should accurately, fully explain the view. And I think it's very rare that a person (especially a theologian) would explain his or her own view using those "somehow" words.

So just for fun, next time ya'll try to explain a view that you disagree with, see if you can do it without using those words. :)
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Paidion

Re: "Somehow ...", "Some kind of ..."

Post by Paidion » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:01 pm

So just for fun, next time ya'll try to explain a view that you disagree with, see if you can do it without using those words. :)
Okay. Somehow I'll do it in some kind of way.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Teaching/Preaching”