160,000 people die every day. What is their eternal destiny

IceAndFire1328

160,000 people die every day. What is their eternal destiny

Post by IceAndFire1328 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 pm

Poll Survey: The World’s Mortality Rate

Over 162,000 will die on an average day. What is their eternal destiny? Obviously, we have no idea. However, some people have estimated that only 7% of the world’s population adheres to the Biblical plan of salvation. Even if that estimate is totally wrong and the number is actually 70%, that still means that over 48,000 are going to Hell every day.

What is the relevancy of these numbers? Should these numbers have any impact on our lives? I’m conducting a poll and would like your opinion on this issue.

-Totally irrelevant: there is nothing we can do to alter the eternal destiny of these people.
-Totally relevant: there is much we can do to alter the eternal destiny of these people.
-I am unsure:

Calculations:

World’s population: 7.08 billion
A little less than 1% (0.837%) of the world’s population died last year
7.08 billion x .837% (.00837) = 59,259,600 deaths a year
59,259,600 divided by 365 days = 162,355 deaths a day
162,355 x 30% (.30) = 48,706 people going to Hell

dwilkins

Re: 160,000 people die every day. What is their eternal destiny

Post by dwilkins » Thu May 09, 2013 7:37 pm

7% of 160,000 is about 11,200, which is up substantially over day 2 averages (assuming on day one that the batch of all believers from history past showed up at the same time, skewing the numbers a bit). I expect in another 2,000 years that our success rate will be significantly higher, which means by percentage and absolute numbers that a very large number of people will be arriving in heaven on a daily basis. In another 10,000 years, we'll really be rolling. Those who don't make it will be meeting the destiny that they have earned, which is punishment that they receive for doing bad acts and then they are eliminated from existence. For the majority of those, because infant and child deaths have always accounted for the majority of people who come into existence, this means no real punishment at all since they are too young to be accountable for their actions (and it's possible they are given an automatic pass, which means that in reality the majority of people end up in heaven).

Yes, this is an important issue.

Doug

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Thu May 09, 2013 9:16 pm

What is the relevancy of these numbers? Should these numbers have any impact on our lives? I’m conducting a poll and would like your opinion on this issue.
Do the numbers really make a difference? What if they were smaller or larger? What if only one person a day died? On some days it would be a believer, other days it would not. If you, iceandfire, are moved by the large numbers, would it be different in that case?
-Totally irrelevant: there is nothing we can do to alter the eternal destiny of these people.
-Totally relevant: there is much we can do to alter the eternal destiny of these people.
-I am unsure:
I am unsure.

I'm not sure what people you're talking about. There is nothing we can do to alter the eternal destiny of the people who have already died; there is much we can do (and are doing) to alter the eternal destiny of people who are now living.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu May 09, 2013 10:34 pm

I would suggest that there may be fewer than 1% of people who are right with God prior to death.
But if we're talking about their ETERNAL destiny... well, that destiny is the same for all people. I believe in the reconcilation of all people to God.
However, most people, perhaps over 99%, will require a TEMPORARY season of correction. They must be regenerated, just as you and I were. Call it "Hell" or call it "Purgatory."
God will do His best for every individual. And His best is A LOT!
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Thu May 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Hi.

I would have thought that far more people die each day (out of 7,084,000,000 *).

Like Michelle, I'm not sure whether or not you're asking about those who have already died.

I do not think that anyone is in "hell" now. No one has faced final judgement, I think. So I do think it's just possible that those who have died have opportunity for repentance until the day of judgement and the second death, if they are in some conscious state now. There are some hints in that direction from a few Scripture passages which speak of those who have died as well as a few things I've read about experiences with dead spirits (though that may of course be pure imagination or even demonic deception), I think. I'm not sure that we living can do anything for them, though.

So I guess I vote "unsure", too.
Last edited by Singalphile on Fri May 10, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:55 am

. I believe in the reconcilation of all people to God.
However, most people, perhaps over 99%, will require a TEMPORARY season of correction. They must be regenerated, just as you and I were. Call it "Hell" or call it "Purgatory."
God will do His best for every individual. And His best is A LOT!

The bible says it is God's will that everyone be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth. Since that has generally not happened in this life i see nothing in scripture precluding the fruition of this statement in the afterlife. Everyone will be judged but each of the two greek words used for judgment in the bible allow for restoration of the sinner in the afterlife. The way the description of the lake of fire is laid out in Revelation from the proximity to New Jerusalem to the gates of the city being always open and other allusions suggest to me postmortem salvation is very likely. So in the end most if not all folks will be with God after justice is dispensed.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Fri May 10, 2013 7:25 am

steve7150 wrote: The way the description of the lake of fire is laid out in Revelation from the proximity to New Jerusalem to the gates of the city being always open and other allusions suggest to me postmortem salvation is very likely. So in the end most if not all folks will be with God after justice is dispensed.
Steve,

I thought I'd focus on the point quoted above for a moment. I think what you are saying is that the bad people outside of the New Jerusalem, which exists in the New Heavens and New Earth, are in some sort of state of punishment like Hades or the Lake of Fire. Here is the section I think you are referring to:

Revelation 21:22-27 (ESV)
22 And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb.
23 And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb.
24 By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it,
25 and its gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there.
26 They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations.
27 But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Revelation 22:14-15 (ESV)
14 Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.
15 Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

From what I've read, your conclusion that the bad people are dead and in some sort of punishment is a common view (regardless of their potential restoration). But, I'd like to point out the context of the passage, which is Isaiah 65-66. If space would allow I'd quote both chapters because I think they are very seldom analyzed as a unit. I encourage everyone to take some time to read them. I'll stick to the key section in 66, however:

Isaiah 66:17-24 (ESV)
17 "Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go into the gardens, following one in the midst, eating pig's flesh and the abomination and mice, shall come to an end together, declares the Lord.
18 "For I know their works and their thoughts, and the time is coming to gather all nations and tongues. And they shall come and shall see my glory,
19 and I will set a sign among them. And from them I will send survivors to the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, who draw the bow, to Tubal and Javan, to the coastlands afar off, that have not heard my fame or seen my glory. And they shall declare my glory among the nations.
20 And they shall bring all your brothers from all the nations as an offering to the Lord, on horses and in chariots and in litters and on mules and on dromedaries, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, says the Lord, just as the Israelites bring their grain offering in a clean vessel to the house of the Lord.
21 And some of them also I will take for priests and for Levites, says the Lord.
22 "For as the new heavens and the new earth that I make shall remain before me, says the Lord, so shall your offspring and your name remain.
23 From new moon to new moon, and from Sabbath to Sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before me, declares the Lord.
24 "And they shall go out and look on the dead bodies of the men who have rebelled against me. For their worm shall not die, their fire shall not be quenched, and they shall be an abhorrence to all flesh."

In this section, Isaiah clearly describes the New Heaven and New Earth as one in which both good and bad people live on earth together. The faithful remnant who survive the wrath of God will go throughout the world to places that have never heard about God. They will teach these men and successfully recruit some of them who are made priests and Levites in the new system. I suggest, then, that the bad guys outside of the New Jerusalem in Revelation represent people throughout the world who are invited into the city during that age. There is no reason to believe that those people are dead and in need of restoration from Hades or the Lake of Fire.

Doug

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 am

I suggest, then, that the bad guys outside of the New Jerusalem in Revelation represent people throughout the world who are invited into the city during that age. There is no reason to believe that those people are dead and in need of restoration from Hades or the Lake of Fire.

I appreciate your point of view Doug and you could be right. My point of view is to take Rev sequentially so since the bad guys in the LOF are there after the raising of the dead and the judgment , i see them as resurrected unbelievers.
Another reason i see them as the raised dead is because Paul expanded an OT statement to include the dead praising Christ in Phil 2 "that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth." Under the earth meaning the dead.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 am

IceAndFire, what do you thinK? I see that you started another thread about the rightness of praying for non-Christians. What's on your mind, if you don't mind me asking?
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Bud

Post by Bud » Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Malachi 3:16 Then those who feared the LORD spoke to one another, and the LORD gave attention and heard [it,] and a book of remembrance was written before Him for those who fear the LORD and who esteem His name. (NASB) :)

Return to “Missions & Evangelism”