Commissioned to heal

SteveF

Re: Commissioned to heal

Post by SteveF » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

:D Hi Steve, even though you said you didn't disagree much with what I said, I hope you don't mind if i throw in another 2 cents.

I think you're doing well to illuminate the subtle error in the WOF teaching. There is a fine line between what they espouse and what the focus of scripture is. But on either side of that fine line is a significant difference. Here's two classic examples:

In the story where the 10 spies had a discouraging report and the 2 spies had an encouraging report I would say that Joshua and Caleb demonstrated their faith in God by what they said. The same way Abraham demonstrated his faith in God by leaving his father's house, offering up his son etc..etc.. The WOF teachers would say that it was because they said what they said that it set motion a spiritual law of faith. I simply don't see that.

Another example is Mark 11 where Jesus said to "have faith IN God". Again, they would look to the verses about speaking to the mountain and focus on spiritual laws that are set in motion. I would say that speaking to the mountain and not doubting is a way of demonstrating your faith in God. To reiterate, it's not because something is said , but rather a demonstration of who your faith is in.

As I said, I see a fine line but a big difference.

God Bless
Steve

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:33 pm

Another example is Mark 11 where Jesus said to "have faith IN God". Again, they would look to the verses about speaking to the mountain and focus on spiritual laws that are set in motion. I would say that speaking to the mountain and not doubting is a way of demonstrating your faith in God. To reiterate, it's not because something is said , but rather a demonstration of who your faith is in.

Hi Steve,
Yes i agree and as you may know some WOF teachers claim Mark 11 says "Have the God kind of faith" which any decent greek scholar will tell you "Have faith in God" is indeed the right translation. So i agree the power is from God, there is no magic in just words, yet it was Jesus who did say to speak to the mountain , in faith, without doubt or fear and without unforgiveness in the heart.
The "confessions" or words are an expression of our heart but IMO if we express doubt in our words we give the devil a foothold in us to interfere with our prayers being answered. Satan can't read our hearts or minds but he can hear our words , and when he has the opportunity he will try.
I understand what you said previously said about your prayers being answered and of course God is sovereign , but for myself i just try to follow Mark 11 as best i can , and i consider it to be part of Jesus consummation statement in Matthew 28 reminding us to remember all that he commanded and he will be with us until the end of the age.

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:30 pm

When we talk about Christians being able to heal, through the Holy Spirit, faith, or the power of God, do we then denounce the doctors work? Or is it THROUGH the doctors, medication, hospital staffs, etc., that the healing came? I pray for the nurses and doctors to know what to do, to see what is truly needed, for God to give them wisdom and understanding. Miraculous recoveries have happened, tumors shrink quicker than expected, fevers break suddenly, bones heal in record time. Is this the same? Or are we talking about hands-on-miracle-healing where a blind man suddenly sees or a cripple gets up and walks? And what about the miracle of an alchoholic suddenly giving up the bottle, cold turkey, after coming to Christ. That is a great healing is it not?

I tend to be skeptical of those preachers who lay hands on and "heal" instantly. I don't think I've ever believed a person could actually do that, no matter how strong his faith and love of God. Does this say something about my faith?

Return to “Missions & Evangelism”