Business Dilemma

Right & Wrong
TheEditor

Business Dilemma

Post by TheEditor » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:13 pm

Person "A" is a Christian, or at least tries to be. :-) Anyway, "A" has been in a quasi-business relationship with person "B" for a number of years. The nature of the the relationship morphed from employee to friend. Person "B" for years was a confirmed atheist, unregenerate and given to many vices. Person "B" underwent many life changes that put him in a position to be receptive to the love and acceptance of a contemporary evangelical church. After doing volunteer work for this church, person "B" after some months, accepted a call to be baptized, and was.

Person "A" has noticed some changes in "B", but in many respects person "B" acts as before. "B" was always generous and giving with his time and resources, even prior to "getting wet" at his baptism. This has not changed, but this gift has been primarily directed towards doing work for the afformentioned church. Turn the page.

Person "B" has many new Chrisitan friends that recognize "B's" work ethic and have asked "B" to do work on their homes. "B", however, has no tools of his own, and so asks Person "A" to supply the tools and business legalities, in exchange for one half of the profits. "A" is reluctant to do so, due to some unfortunate past experiences with person "B", but agrees to the arrangement owing to being currently under-employed. Unfortunatley, some of the previously experienced drawbacks to this particular arrangement reared their head once again. Person "B" is given to making promises that cost more time and effort to accomplish, for no additional compensation. "A" is only informed after commitments are made to the homeowner. "A" feels that he must fulfill these obligations, because he has alowed "B" to act on his behalf. "A" has become convinced that if the business relationship with "B" continues, the friendship will be ruined. However, person "A" is concerned that "B" will view this parting of business company as an insult, and this could affect what progress (if any) "B" has made in trying to approach God. If you were person "A", how would you handle this?

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

dizerner

Re: Business Dilemma

Post by dizerner » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:31 pm

Nothing like being generous with other people's things eh? I remember an old Pogo cartoon where one of them says in his political speech "We will spare no self-sacrifice of anyone!" First I'd probably assume B doesn't mean to screw people over but has poor judgment and probably a deep habit of excusing this behavior. This said, I would advise A to do something about it and not just let it to continue to happen. In my experience, compromising one's character in any sense is rarely a good witness, even if it causes inconvenience to others. I'd advise the awkward direct approach, be clear about explaining why it bothers you to A, but without any anger. B may get angry and feel that B is being reasonable and A is just being picky. At that point, it's important for A to put his foot down, yet still try to be as kind as possible to B. You're never doing someone a favor to let them take advantage of you—you're reinforcing bad behavior, telling them that it's okay and they can get away with it. I'd either make B pay the difference, whatever it was, or if B refuses, I'd honor the agreement but never deal with B again, yet still keep the relationship if B allows.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:06 am

I suspect you are correct Dizerner. But person "A" tends to be guilt-driven much of the time. However, I don't think "A" will get any resolution without this kind of step.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:12 am

Dizerner wrote:
You're never doing someone a favor to let them take advantage of you—you're reinforcing bad behavior, telling them that it's okay and they can get away with it.
But isn't that (the underlined) exactly what Jesus did on the cross? We continually "take advantage" of Him.

I know it is a very difficult thing, but I would advocate patience, patience, and more patience. Of prime consideration is the status of "B" as a "babe in Christ". Will what is done cause the person to fall away and be lost? This is easy for me to say, as I do not have a clear idea how onerous the burden is that is placed on "A" in this situation. Somehow, some way, "B" needs to learn that he is hurting "A" while helping others. Perhaps a 3rd party should be involved.

Just my two cents.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:38 am

I suspect you are correct Dizerner. But person "A" tends to be guilt-driven much of the time. However, I don't think "A" will get any resolution without this kind of step.

Clearly A should talk directly with kindness and love to B. If A cares about B then not only does their business relationship need this communication but B as a Christian needs to be aware that his actions should reflect Christ and he has got to know how his decisions impact A.
B may or may not get upset but if he really is any kind of Christian he will think about it and do the right thing. But he needs a chance to do the right thing.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 am

Thank you all for your input. I suspect that "A" appreciates it. ;)

As far as conversation; "B" is aware of the dire financial circumstances of his partner. Part of the problem is that they have quite a history together, and patterns of behavior develop. "A" has dropped the ball in that he realized long ago that this step needed to be taken, but due to friendship and sympathy, allowed it to continue. Now that "B" has gotten wet, another problematic circumstance has been tossed into the mix. Trouble is, "A" suspects (while not knowing) that "B" sees this new era of his life as a needed pragmatic step, rather than a desire to look at life differently. I am sure that any approach will bring some problems.

Regards, Brenden.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:53 am

Trouble is, "A" suspects (while not knowing) that "B" sees this new era of his life as a needed pragmatic step, rather than a desire to look at life differently. I am sure that any approach will bring some problems.

Sounds like a growth opportunity for both A & B if they can have a productive interchange. Worst thing is to not do anything.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:18 pm

Homer wrote:Dizerner wrote:
You're never doing someone a favor to let them take advantage of you—you're reinforcing bad behavior, telling them that it's okay and they can get away with it.
But isn't that (the underlined) exactly what Jesus did on the cross? We continually "take advantage" of Him.
No, because Jesus requires repentance and confession of sins. If you used grace as a license to sin, "I can sin because Jesus will forgive me," then we could say Jesus was reinforcing bad behavior. But that kind of insincerity won't gain favor with God, it will fall into the "Lord, Lord" category. I used to think Jesus, in preaching to turn the other cheek, go the extra mile or give to the one who asks, was preaching a doormat righteousness, where we let people take advantage of us. But I realized one day that wasn't the case, he was merely addressing our own selfish internal attitudes that only consider how something effects us. If we are a doormat to people, we often hurt their character by reinforcing bad behavior, and thus being a doormat can be a self-centered thing, because you prefer not hurting someone over doing what would help them, and being passive over being active. It's like spoiling a child by lack of discipline or giving them everything they want, might seem like love, but it's only encouraging selfishness in both the parent (who feels good about it) and the child (who ends up without discipline or charity).

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:08 pm

because you prefer not hurting someone over doing what would help them,

Usually it's not even about not hurting someone but really about just avoiding a confrontation.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:14 pm

steve7150 wrote:Usually it's not even about not hurting someone but really about just avoiding a confrontation.
True, steve.

Return to “Ethics”