The Golden Rule in Eight Religions

Right & Wrong
Paidion

The Golden Rule in Eight Religions

Post by Paidion » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:26 pm

Christianity All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye so to them; for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:1)

Confucianism Do not do to others what you would not like yourself. Then there will be no resentment against you, either in the family or in the state. (Analects 12:2)

Buddhism Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful. (Udana-Varga 5,1)

Hinduism This is the sum of duty; do naught onto others what you would not have them do unto you. (Mahabharata 5,1517)

Islam No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself. (Sunnah)

Judaism What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellowman. This is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary. (Talmud, Shabbat 3id)

Taoism Regard your neighbor’s gain as your gain, and your neighbor’s loss as your own loss.(Tai Shang Kan Yin P’ien)

Zoroastrianism That nature alone is good which refrains from doing another whatsoever is not good for itself. (Dadisten-I-dinik, 94,5)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dizerner

Re: The Golden Rule in Eight Religions

Post by dizerner » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:30 am

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:30 am

It seems the problem for humanity has never been knowing what to do (or not to do), but actually following through on this God-given conscience. What religions lack is a King who leads by example, atones for our wickedness, connects us to the source of power to live love out, fills us with His very own character... Jesus.

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:10 pm

My wife and I are a little over a quarter of a way through the book, Eternity in their Hearts. He gives examples of various ways God has revealed himself to cultures around the world, effectively providing a "bridge" for disciples to share the Gospel and the revelation of Jesus to peoples otherwise thought to be completely in the dark. While not completely on the topic of the original post, it seems that God's global impact would lead to truth revealed even in false/counterfeit religions.

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:40 am

[i especially like the wording in Taoism, regarding your neighbor's gain as your gain, his loss as your own. Eliminates jealousy, multiplies compassion. Beautiful. [/i]

Return to “Ethics”