Terry Schiavo

Right & Wrong
_Damon

Terry Schiavo

Post by _Damon » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:59 pm

Has anyone been following the story of Terry Schiavo in the news? Any thoughts?

Damon
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:08 pm

Very tough situation with no easy answers

I hate the idea of someone starving to death

I also don't like the idea of courts over-ruling a husband who, most likely, truly is seeking to carry out his wife's will

I am sure, however, that if she'd been given the opportunity...she wouldn't have wanted to die by starvation.

Also, the video I've seen of her looks incredibly similar to tons of people i see in hospitals and nursing homes. And this could set a scary precedent.

So my emotions are mixed. Sometimes people play God by killing others or themselves. Perhaps other times we play God by keeping people alive.

I have no concrete position in such a sad case
Reason:
Hemingway once said: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for'

I agree with the second part (se7en)

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:34 pm

Er, just how much of the story have you heard?

There's a strong possibility that her husband originally tried to strangle her to death, and that's the reason she's in the state she's in now. Also, he's made many comments over the years about how he wishes she would die more quickly, like "When will the b*tch die?" Finally, he's even tried to help the process along by injecting her with insulin to force her into a lethal hypoglycemic reaction.

As far as being in the position of playing God by killing or allowing someone to die who has expressed a wish to not remain alive in such a state (and we only have Terry's husband's word on it that she ever did)...I agree that it's a very difficult position to be in.

That's one of the reasons that I respect Clint Eastwood's movie "Million Dollar Baby". Even though I disagree with what happened, I think it's very true-to-life. (And if you haven't seen the movie, see it first before you try to guess what I'm talking about.)

Damon
Reason:

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:24 am

I've seen the movie and do respect the difficulty of such a decision

I've never heard the accusations you've heard about the husband. I still won't treat them as truth. He has been demonized by some, so it's clear where such stories could come from (I'm not saying they aren't true, just that they may not be). I think it's a little irresponsible of you to state as seeming fact what you've heard through some media.

I've also heard that he has visited her more than anyone through the years and that he's rejected millions of dollars to give up custody b/c his first priority is carrying out her will. And I've heard he'll make no money off her death.
Reason:

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:04 am

Terry's parents are the ones who claim that her husband tried to strangle her. Several people, including relatives as well as employees at the hospice where Terry is kept, have heard what her husband has said about Terry. And there was a nurse who found Terry in convulsions several times after her husband's visits. She found used syringes in the trash as well as needle marks on Terry herself on these occasions. So this nurse checked Terry's blood sugar, which was so low that the machine wouldn't even register it. When she went to the authorities to ask for an investigation into this, she was fired.

As far as her husband not accepting money in order to "carry out Terry's will," the difficulty is that he stands to benefit if in fact he tried to murder her and will end up getting away with it. So just because he won't financially benefit isn't proof of anything.

By the way, in case you want references to all of the above information, I can give links to the relevant news articles on the 'net.

Damon
Reason:

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:21 pm

I'd appreciate the links

I have heard one nurse talk a little about such things on the radio, but that's it.

I guess my caution is that it's still their word against his and it's a very emotional situation and people say regretful things in such a scenario.
Reason:

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:01 pm

I found a link which sums up the whole case, from beginning to end.

Damon
Reason:

_mattrose

Post by _mattrose » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:12 pm

After reading the article in its entirety...I'd have to say there is enough doubt in this case as to the husbands intentions to warrent a serious trial.
Reason:

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:25 pm

Right. And the court system being what it is, that's exactly what won't happen. I hope and pray that the DCF (which I'm not crazy about as an organization) intervenes and rescues Terri despite the judge's refusal to comply.

The world is a wicked place. One of the things that I'm glad about is that, in the world to come, those who have perpetrated such wickedness will be made supernaturally sensitive, and will be forced to endure the pain and suffering that they've inflicted on others in this life.

That's basically what the lake of fire is, by the way.

Damon
Reason:

_moe

Post by _moe » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:41 pm

Please explain Damon if you will the lake of fire and your opinion on "hell"
thanks,
Moe
Reason:

Return to “Ethics”