Thoughts on pet ownership

Right & Wrong
john6809

Thoughts on pet ownership

Post by john6809 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:11 pm

I was just wondering how everybody feels about the place for pets in the life of a Christian. Not whether they will be with us in eternity, but how many resources we should be putting into them in this life. Obviously there is a big difference between a single lapdog and a few horses in the field.

Vet costs, feeding costs, time spent, and attachments to animals add up to a significant investment. In light of the fact that people are starving around the world, how do we deal with this? What about giving our extra resources to the expansion of the kingdom? Also, differences of opinion between spouses have been a source of considerable friction, in my observation.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks, John
"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior." - John Newton

steve

Re: Thoughts on pet ownership

Post by steve » Wed May 23, 2012 8:48 am

I had a friend who was against having dogs, on principle, because Jesus said, "It is not right to take the children's food and give it to the dogs" (Mark 7:27). This man's opinion was that extra money could be used to feed starving children, and should not be used to feed pets. (This was the same man who amorously said that having insurance is just a way of guaranteeing that, "if God rips you off, you can get it all back"—a very countercultural guy).

On the other hand,the ability to domesticate and use animals for man's good is one of the things that God gave to man, as part of his dominion over the earth. Farm animals, for instance, produce more food than they consume (Prov.14:4).

Dogs and cats may provide for some people a benefit more valuable than material things, as God seems to have made them (especially dogs) with a propensity to be great companions to humans (some of whom may have too few of the human kind). Who could wish to deprive them?

I have chosen not to have pets simply because my travels would prevent me from being able to attend to them, and they seem like a responsibility similar to having children. Children, normally, grow up and become independent. Having a pet can be like having a severely disabled child, who needs care for its whole life. I have known many people who are tied down with their pets to a degree that I would find, for my life, unacceptable. However, many people have different patterns of living and different needs from mine, and I think pets can be a Godsend to some.

john6809

Post by john6809 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks for your response, Steve. I am certainly not one who would wish to deprive people of their pets. I have had pets throughout most of my life.

I wasn't very clear with my question though. My question is: when is there too much of a good thing? If a family is struggling to make ends meet and the animal population consists of adog, cats, chickens, a guinea pig, and several horses, none of them producing food except for the chickens, is there a place where the sheer numbers should be cut back? The family I am thinking of are believers and are, in my estimation, living beyond their means. One spouse would like to modify the current arrangements to create some sustainability, while the other seems to have a lot (too much?) of attachment to the animals to allow for an easy solution. Both have a desire to do what is right but see things differently. Some of these animals are simply yard ornament, being of very little use and consuming time and food just to stand in a field. The intentions of the owner are to do some training with them to improve the enjoyment of these animals however, time is not on the side of the owner and after many years, the situation remains the same. I hope this clarifies my question.

Thanks, John
"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior." - John Newton

MMathis

Post by MMathis » Mon May 28, 2012 1:03 pm

I haven't had pets for years as I've had my fill of cleaning up after them.

As for deciding that someone else is living beyond their means and suggesting they off their dogs. wow

If I had to decide between buying dog food or feeding my kids, well the decision gets very simple. I'd find a home for the pets.

If your wife likes the kids and the dogs and you can feed both, then grin and bear it.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nooobbooddy happy. I don't know if that's Biblical, but it sure is true. :D
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

john6809

Post by john6809 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:04 pm

MMathis wrote: As for deciding that someone else is living beyond their means and suggesting they off their dogs. wow
Thanks for the input. I get the "happy wife - happy life" concept, but this situation is far from "happy life." Not that Jesus told anybody that they would have a happy life. Nobody is saying "off the dogs" at any point though.
John

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon May 28, 2012 2:15 pm

I have a very close, borderline embarrassing, relationship with my dog (not the one pictured... that's an old pic). My wife and I are moving overseas in the fall and although we are both very attached to him, the expense and stress (his stress, and ours) of bringing him with us would be too great. So we will have to find a good home for him. Although this is the decision we've made, I couldn't very well judge another person for choosing the more costly option. I'm going to miss my dog's particular way of communicating and his very human-like personality, but he wouldn't fit in very well where we are going to live. I'd rather that he be happy without us than miserable with us.

steve

Post by steve » Mon May 28, 2012 2:28 pm

I understand the attachment, which is why I prefer to avoid it. I have never had a dog of my own, and don't want one. However, my daughters are in the process of moving, and they needed someone to watch a dog while they are in transition, so we took (for a couple of weeks) the old blue heeler that was a puppy in our home before my divorce, 11 years ago. I don't want the dog, but I have already become very attached to her. It will be good when my daughters take her back. It is like having a child in the home again.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Thu May 31, 2012 5:26 pm

The friction in your friends' marriage over pets - it is not the pets - it could be finances. I had some friends - he was the big spender and she was very controlled - it took a long time and much friction and the children suffered, but it passed and the children, young adults now, see the change in them and through that, know that God is real. It works out through much suffering, but that's life. And it wasn't just finances - there were much deeper issues going back to the emotional dependencies fostered into them as children. It's awfully complicated but God knows all about it. Pray for them and just love them.

This morning I watched the dogs playing in the South field and then as I walked into the bush where my husband was, there they show up all happy and wet from the ditch - their youthful energy is very enjoyable to watch. We live fairly isolated and do not travel much, so it is a joy to have other beings around.

john6809

Post by john6809 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Jepne. Difficulties encountered in life and marriage seem to ebb and flow. Thankfully, this situation is seeming to smooth out again.
John

Return to “Ethics”