My Series on "War & Peace"

Right & Wrong
mattrose

Re: My Series on "War & Peace"

Post by mattrose » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Exceptions to Merger

The Radicals
Luther protested against the Roman Catholic Church of his day, specifically over its views on repentance, the authority of the Pope, and the usefulness of indulgences. He (and other Reformers like Calvin & Swingli) sought to return the church to the purity it possessed before corruption and man-made tradition gained a foothold.

A strong case can be made, however, that the Reformers (though well intentioned) did not go back far enough in history in their desire to rediscover their Christian roots. They went back to the theology of Augustine (including Just War Theory), but not back to Jesus, the Apostles, and the Early Church.

A group emerged from within the Reformation that sought to return to the true roots of Christianity. Their movement became known as the Radical Reformation. The Radicals spoke against practices like the merger of church/state and infant baptism while advocating a ‘community of goods’ and a peace approach to conflict.

In response, the Radicals were persecuted by the State (beheaded), the Roman Catholic Church (burned), and the Protestants (usually drowned). The movement, however, continued (Schleitheim Confesssion, 1527) to speak out against the merger and against Christian utilization of violence. Today, Mennonite, Amish, and Brethren groups live out this position (and others follow their lead).

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:07 pm

The State: Its Purpose/Performance/Power

The Good
1. Government is God’s interim idea for the fallen world
2. Government exists to limit the results of The Fall
3. Government exists for the benefit of the church

The Bad
1. Government always falls short of its intended purpose
2. Government can only limit (and not eradicate) evil
3. Government tends to turn inward and benefit itself

The Ugly
1. Satan has a purpose for worldly governments as well
2. Satan can use governments to multiply/spread evil
3. Satan can make government a tempting idol

“Simply recognizing that there is, at the very least, a strong demonic presence polluting all versions of the kingdom of the world has to significantly affect how followers of Jesus view earthly governments. Minimally, this recognition implies that we can never assume that any particular nation—including our own—is always, or even usually, aligned with God.” (Greg Boyd)

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:22 pm

WAR & PEACE
The Church

What are We in the World?

All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth. (Heb. 11:13)

Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. (1 Peter 1:17)

Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. (1 Peter 2:11)

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? (2 Cor. 6:14)

Where is Our True Citizenship?

Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people (Ephesians 2:19)

But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ (Phil. 3:20)

So give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.” (Matthew 22:21)

No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. (Matthew 6:24)

Why Does the Church Exist?

Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer. (1 Timothy 2:3-4)

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. (1 Peter 2:9)

To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father (Revelation 1:5-6)

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:13-16)

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:23 pm

WAR & PEACE
Is America the Exception?

The Confusion of Kingdoms

“For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us” (John Winthrop)

“We thank God that it [the atomic bomb] has come to us instead of to our enemies and we pray that he may guide us to use it in his ways and for his purposes” (Harry Truman)

“Today the eyes of all people are truly upon us—and our governments, in every branch, at every level, national, state and local, must be as a city upon a hill” (John F. Kennedy)

A troubled and afflicted mankind looks to us, pleading for us to keep our rendezvous with destiny; that we will uphold the principles of self-reliance, self-discipline, morality, and, above all, responsible liberty for every individual that we will become that shining city on a hill. (Ronald Reagan)

“The ideal of America is the hope of all mankind” (Bush)

“This country is still the last best hope on earth (Obama)

“You’ve got to kill the terrorists before the killing stops. And I’m for the President to chase them all over the world. If it takes ten years, blow them all away in the name of the Lord.” (Jerry Falwell)

“In Revelation, Jesus is a prize fighter with a tattoo down His leg, a sword in His hand, and a commitment to make someone bleed. That is a guy I can worship… I cannot worship a guy I can beat up” (Mark Driscoll)

The Consequences of Confusion (From Greg Boyd)

The Myth Harms Global Missions
“When we associate Jesus with America… we legitimize the widespread global perception that the Christian faith can be judged on the basis of what America has done in the past or continues to do in the present.”

The Myth Harms Home Missions
“When we fail to distinguish between the quasi-Christian civil religious of America and the kingdom of God, two things happen. First… it’s arguably harder to be a missionary in America, for here the majority think they’re already Christian… Second… we end up wasting precious time and resources defending and tweaking the civil religion—as though doing so had some kingdom value.”

The Myth Leads to Misplaced Trust
“As a result, many Americans place exaggerated confidence in the ability of Christians to influence society by political means rather than by distinctly kingdom-of-God means [like prayer].”

The Myth Leads to Less Service
“Many are so conditioned by the ‘power over’ mindset of the world that they can’t even envision an alternative way of affecting society and politics other than by playing the political game [rather than just serving people]”

The Myth Leads to a Messiah-Complex
“When the theocratic-sounding slogan ‘one nation under God’ is taken too seriously, it makes people think of America along the lines of Israel and the Old Testament rather than Jesus and the New Testament… Just as God led Israel in the past, or so some believe, God leads American today. When America goes to war, therefore, God is on our side.”

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:14 pm

WAR & PEACE
Pacifism & Peacemaking

Summary of our Series
1. Christian ethics must be based on Christ and His teachings. The Old Covenant must be interpreted in light of the New Covenant.
2. Jesus initiated a Kingdom of peace. His citizens are to love their enemies, reject violence, and yet respond to conflict in non-violent ways as peacemakers.
3. The Apostles and the early church (first 300 years) practiced peacemaking by refusing to serve in the military and prayerfully engaging in spiritual warfare.
4. The peace position was abandoned as the church became less focused on Christ and merged with state via Constantine and Augustine (Just-War Theory).
5. Merger with state led to the Crusades (outward violence) before turning to heresy hunting (inward violence) with few exceptions (like the Radicals).
6. Worldly government has a God-given role in this age (to limit evil), but governments are not the answer to the world’s problems and are polluted by Satan.
7. Separation of Church and State protects the church from worldly corruption and keeps it on mission (serving as ambassadors for the Kingdom of Heaven)
8. The myth that America is an exceptional case has harmed world and local missions while leading to idolatry, idleness and a Messiah-complex.

Contextual Conclusions
1. We must re-read, re-think and re-apply Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount. It must become our constitution.
2. We must be cautious and skeptical about our participation in government and, especially, military service.
3. We must become people of the 3rd way. We must reject violence and pacifism as legitimate and become peacemakers.

The Wesleyan Church on “Peace”
The Wesleyan Church, knowing that war results in great suffering for the bodies, minds and souls of men and women, staggering economic loss with its legacy of debt for future generations, and the unleashing of the baser passions of life, urges that persons and nations seek by every legitimate means to avoid armed conflict among the people and nations of the world. The Wesleyan Church also urges that holy people everywhere pray earnestly for those in authority, so that peace may prevail (1 Timothy 2:2), and for the quick return of the Prince of Peace.

The Wesleyan Church on “Military Service”
The Wesleyan Church teaches respect for properly constituted civil authority and the proper loyalty to one’s country. It recognizes the responsibility of the individual to answer the call of government and enter into military service. However, there are those within the fellowship of the Wesleyan Church who believe that military service is contrary to the teaching of the New Testament and that their consciences are violated by being compelled to take part in such. The Wesleyan Church will therefore lend moral support to any member who asks and claims exemption by legal processes from military service as a sincere conscientious objector and who asks to serve one’s country as a noncombatant.

Questions to Consider (Next Week)
1. Is physical discipline of children an act of violence?
2. What about self-defense?
3. What about defending innocents (family or strangers)?
4. Should Christians serve in the military?
5. But what if everyone took the pacifist position?
6. Should Christians honor those who serve in the military?
7. What about Hitler?

Ian

Post by Ian » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:24 am

Thanks for uploading all this, Matt.
I have a book "The goodness of God" by J W Wenham. It attempts to tackle many of the thorny issues in the OT. For example there is a chapter on the Canaanites called "the abomination of the heathen". But there are gaps in it, and your notes are helping me come to terms with such difficult subjects.

Perry

Post by Perry » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:21 am

Matt,

Do you record these messages? Are they available to listen to anywhere?

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:39 pm

I have not been recording them. I 'preach' them at a small church where I don't even use a microphone and then (about 15 minutes after my sermon) I 'teach' them to a Sunday School class at a larger church where there is interaction and so recording would not be efficient.

That being said, in the Summer I am considering putting these thoughts into a large pamphlet or small book and perhaps a series of podcast type files. I'll post in this thread if any such things materialize :)

But I would recommend some audio resources that exist now:
Bruxy Cavey's series 'Inglorious Pastors' from 2010 is available to listen to at his "The Meeting House" site. Greg Boyd's series (I think titled 'the cross and the sword') is available on his Woodland Hills Church website. The best books I've read on the subject are by John Howard Yoder and Walter Wink. I'd also recommend such films as Gandhi, The Radicals, and the End of the Spear.

Perry

Post by Perry » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks Matt. I own "End of the Spear" and have listened to the Greg Boyd series, but the other stuff is new to me. I encourage you to do the podcast!

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Speaking of "End of the Spear".... I think this is the "end of the series"

Q&A

1. What about violence in entertainment/sport?
Don’t Assume: That narrative is possible w/o the presence of evil OR that agreed upon physical competitions are necessarily evil
~ There is a difference b/w being entertained by violence and recognizing the role of violence in narrative
~ There is a difference b/w agreed upon competition and violent oppression of the powerful over the weak
Ask Yourself: What is this media/sport saying about evil?

2. Is physical discipline of children an act of violence?
Don’t Assume: That peacemakers are legalistically against any form of physical response
~ There are clear distinctions b/w violence (abusing a child) and discipline (correcting a child)
~ The Bible speaks positively of the physical discipline of children
Ask yourself: Are you doing what you are doing out of love for the person you are disciplining?

3. What about self-defense and/or defending others?
Don’t Assume: That violence would work OR that the alternative is doing nothing
~ Violence might only worsen the situation or not work at all
~ Numerous forms of non-violent resistance are available (run, restrain, rebuke, respond creatively, request help, rescue the others, etc.)
Ask yourself: Is it more valuable, in terms of eternity, for you to have a longer life or for the violent person to have more time to repent?

4. Should Christians serve in the military?
Don’t Assume: That refusal to serve in the military is necessarily a cowardly position
~ Christians engage in spiritual warfare and believe that they tap into more power when they get on their knees than when they march out to battle
~ Given Jesus’ teachings, non-military service should be the default position for Christians
Ask Yourself: If my primary citizenship is in the Kingdom of God, how may I best serve Him?

5. But what if nobody was willing to serve in the military?
Don’t Assume: That war would be an issue in this scenario OR that worldly nations are eternally significant
~ If an entire nation became peacemakers and another country attacked them, they’d die as holy martyrs
~ We don’t exist to perpetuate our worldly nations, but to spread the good news of the Kingdom of God
Ask Yourself: Is this hypothetical realistic or rhetorical?

6. Should Christians honor those who serve in the military?
Don’t Assume: That someone taking the peacemaking approach must disdain those who serve in the military
~ Not all Christians are aware of the peace approach and some follow their conscience to different conclusions
~ People who serve in the military generally possess a number of Christ-like characteristics
Ask Yourself: Are American Christians extremely patriotic b/c ‘Kingdom’ theology isn’t communicated?

7. What about Hitler?
Don’t Assume: That the war against Hitler was wrong OR that a Nazi Empire would have been a threat to God
~ World governments have a God-given role to limit evil while the church has a God-given role as peacemakers
~ Christianity flourished under an oppressive Roman Empire and could have flourished amidst the Nazi’s
Ask Yourself: Would there have even been a Nazi army if all ‘Christians’ took the peacemaking approach?

Return to “Ethics”