My Series on "War & Peace"

Right & Wrong
mattrose

My Series on "War & Peace"

Post by mattrose » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:55 pm

I have been facilitating a discussion on Christianity and war in 2 settings (a small church where I preach on Sunday mornings & a Sunday school class at my home church). I thought it might create some discussion to post my outlines here.

Series Overview
We will consider the Christian position on war

Nov. 27 Yahweh: God of War?
Dec. 4 Jesus: King of Peace
Dec. 11 Paul: Apostle of Peace
Dec. 18 Early Church: Community of Peace

Dec. 25 Special Service/No Sunday School
Jan. 1 Matthew Away for Best Friend's Wedding

Jan. 8 Constantine: The Merger of Kingdoms
Jan. 15 Augustine: Theology of Merger
Jan. 22 Church History: Sad Stories of Merger
Jan. 29 Minority Report: Exceptions to Merger

Feb. 5 America: The Myth of a Christian Nation
Feb. 12 Varieties of Pacifism & Peacemaking
Feb. 19 Answering the Tough Questions: Part 1*
Feb. 26 Answering the Tough Questions: Part 2 *
* Please submit ‘tough questions’ before February 19th

mattrose

Re: My Series on "War & Peace"

Post by mattrose » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:59 pm

God of War (OT)?

Initial Disclaimers
1. The Bible does not approve of everything it records. There are many instances of violence and war in the Old Testament that God did not approve of.
2. Truth is revealed progressively to humanity. God prefers to work with His creation rather than upon it, changing hearts rather than making rules.
3. We are called to emulate God’s character, but that doesn’t negate the distinction between God and people. In other words, God has the right to end life.

Case Study: The Promised Land
In the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them… as the Lord your God has commanded you. (Deuteronomy 20:16-17)

Top 10 Considerations

1. The Canaanites were an especially wicked people
2. God was slow to anger in regard to the Canaanites
3. War was the language of the deities in that day
4. The establishment of Israel was FOR the nations
5. It wasn’t favoritism… God later attacked Israel
6. If the Canaanites remained, it would corrupt Israel
7. The wars only brought forward their inevitable death
8. The destruction says nothing of individual salvation
9. God’s command was different for distant enemies
10. These accounts teach us valuable spiritual lessons
* I do not find all 10 of these considerations equally helpful in dealing with the issue of Yahweh's command to eliminate the Canaanites, but I do find all 10 to be worthy of discussion. Verse references available upon request.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:03 pm

King of Peace

A New Kind of Kingdom

1. Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.” Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan!” (Matt 4:9-10)

2. See, your king comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey. (Matt 21:5)

3. Once, on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is in your midst.” (Luke 17:20-21)

4. Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.” (John 18:36)

Principles of Peace

1. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth… Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy… Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. (Matt 5:5-9)

2. You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. (Matt 5:38-39)

3. You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. (Matt 5:43-45)

4. You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant (Matt 20:25-26).

Rejection of Violence

1. When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear. But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him. (Luke 22:49-51)

2. When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, “Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?” But Jesus turned and rebuked them. (Luke 9:54-55)

3. Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” “No one, sir,” she said. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.” (John 8:10-11)

4. Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?” (Matt 26:52-53)

Apparent Contradictions

1. Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn ‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law— a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’ (Matt 10:34-36)

2. In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!” His disciples remembered that it is written: “Zeal for your house will consume me.” (John 2:14-17)

3. He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. (Luke 22:36)

4. Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment. (Matt 8:13)

Responses to the Apparent Contradictions:
1. The sword was not only/primarily a symbol of violence, but also, a symbol of division. Here, Jesus is clearly referring not to violence within a family, but division.
2. I believe this was more a prophetic action than a violent action. Peacemaking should not be confused with doing nothing. Jesus took agressive action to expose the sin in the temple, but He acted violently toward no person (only used whip on animals and flipped over furniture).
3. I believe, here, that Jesus is alerting His disciples to the dangers that await them, but He's obviously not flip-flopping on His previous peace platform, otherwise more than 2 swords would have been necessary.
4. Just because Jesus didn't address the violent vocation of the centurion doesn't mean He approved of it. This is an argument from silence.

Some may ask, "Isn't principle of peace #2 really bad advice?" My response would be that in Jewish culture people hit with their right hand (to hit someone with your left hand was a taboo). So to hit someone on the right cheek was a backhand (degrading) slap. Jesus is saying that instead of fighting back when someone treats us as if we have no real value, we should turn and face them (teach them to see us as a human being and not an inferior/worthless thing). This may or may not work in the short term, but it is the only long term hope for ultimate peace.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Apostles of Peace

Did the Apostles Teach Jesus’ Peace Ethic?

1. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse… Do not repay anyone evil for evil. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. (Romans 12:14, 17-18)

2. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:19-21)

3. Be peaceable and considerate, and always… be gentle toward everyone. (Titus 3:2)

4. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called… seek peace and pursue it. (1 Peter 3:9, 11)

A Very Different Kind of War

1. Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-13)

2. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. (Romans 13:12)

3. The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. (Romans 16:20)

4. Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back… They triumphed over him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death. (Revelation 12:7, 11)

How Does a Christian Relate with the State?

1. But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges!… We must obey God rather than human beings! (Acts 4:19, 5:29).

2. Rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. (Romans 13:4)

3. Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. (1 Peter 2:13-15)

4. I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. (1 Timothy 2:1-2)

The quotes in section 1 are there to show that the answer to the question is a clear yes. Jesus' peace ethic was not dismissed by His representatives. Rather, it was repeated.

Section 2 was designed to show that, though Jesus' followers refused to use physical violence, they still engaged in battle/war of a different kind. This war is fought with spiritual armor, through sacrifice and witness.

Four key points can be taken from section 3. First, the idea of government is a good/god idea for a fallen world. Government is supposed to promote good and punish evil. Second, b/c of the first point, Christians should submit to governing ...authorities (this teaches us submission to God). Third, there are exceptions to that rule... when the law of the land contradicts the law of the Lord, Christians must follow the law of the Lord. Fourth, we should pray for governments, specifically that they do what they are supposed to do (create peaceful environments). We pray for environments well-suited for the spreading of the Gospel for ultimately it is the Gospel of the Kingdom of God, not the success of America (or any nation) that is the hope of the world.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:10 pm

Community of Peace

Did the Early Church Practice Peace?

1. We who formerly murdered one another now refrain from making war even upon our enemies… we have changed our swords into plowshares, and our spears into farming implements. (Justin Martyr)

2. It is not in war, but in peace, that we are trained… An enemy must be aided, so that he may not continue as an enemy. (Clement of Alexandria)

3. How will a Christian man participate in war? The Lord has taken the sword away… The Lord, in disarming Peter, disarmed every soldier. (Tertullian)

4. For we no longer take up ‘sword against nation,’ nor do we ‘learn war anymore.’ That is because we have become children of peace for the sake of Jesus who is our leader. (Origen)

5. It is not befitting that those who strive to keep to the path of justice should be companions and sharers in this public homicide. For when God forbids us to kill, He prohibits more than the open violence that is not even allowed by the public laws. He also warns us against doing those things that are considered lawful among men. For that reason, it will not be lawful for a just man to engage in warfare, since his warfare is justice itself. (Lactantius)

6. The age of persecution down to the time of Constantine was the age of pacifism to the degree that during this period no Christian author to our knowledge approved of Christian participation in battle. (Historian Roland Bainton)

Could a Christian Serve in the Military?

1. A soldier of the civil authority must be taught not to kill men and to refuse to do so if he is commanded, and to refuse to take an oath. If he is unwilling to comply, he must be rejected for baptism… If an applicant or a believer seeks to become a soldier, he must be rejected, for he has despised God. (Apostolic Tradition)

2. Of course, if faith comes later and finds someone already occupied with military service, their case is different… when a man has become a believer and faith has been sealed, there must be either an immediate abandonment of the military office, which has been the course of many—or else all sorts of quibbling will have to be resorted to in order to avoid offending God. (Tertullian)

Did the Early Church Peace Policy Work?

1. Christians engage as the priests and ministers of God, keeping their hands pure… our prayers defeat all demons who stir up wars… So none fight better for the king than we do. Indeed, we do not fight under him even if he demands it. Yet, we fight on his behalf, forming a special army—an army of godliness—by offering our prayers to God. (Origen)

2. It would not be difficult to prove that (after the name of Christ was heard in the world), wars were not increased. In fact, they actually diminished. (Arnobius)

3. The Pax Romana (Roman Peace) was a period of about 200 years (27 B.C. – A.D. 180) during which time there were no major wars (Historian David Bercot)

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:11 pm

The Merger of Kingdoms

What Happened in History
1. As the Pax Romana continued (the period of peace that lasted most of the 1st & 2nd centuries) Christians began to enjoy greater freedoms, but according to the church historian Eusebius, this brought with it arrogance and sloth amongst Jesus’ people. By the 3rd century, Rome was experiencing turmoil once again.
2. At the beginning of the 4th century, Emperor Diocletian realized that if he didn’t strengthen the army and establish a greater sense of loyalty to the Empire, Rome would soon fall. But because Christians wouldn’t join the army and gave their loyalty to Jesus, they were seen as a threat to his plan.
3. Diocletian instituted the most severe persecution of the church that the world had ever seen, but upon his retirement and death, a number of men fought for control of the Empire (including Constantine).
4. To claim Rome, Constantine had to win the Battle of the Milvian Bridge. Before the battle Constantine had a vision of a cross and heard the words, ‘Through this you will conquer.’ He interpreted this to mean that Christ would help him win the battle and ordered his troops to make the cross their rallying symbol.
5. A victorious Constantine legalized Christianity, lavished the church with gifts, and attempted to Christianize Roman culture. Hoping to use Christianity to unify his Empire, he called for a church council to create a creed (the Nicene Creed) that would unify Christians doctrinally. Dissenters were to be exiled or killed as heretics.

Results of Constantine’s ‘Conversion’
1. Whereas Christians had been part of unique kingdom, they were now welcomed back into the world.
2. Whereas Christianity had formerly been illegal, Christianity now gained favored status in the Empire.
3. Whereas Scripture had been doctrinally authoritative, the Church now possessed doctrinal authority.
4. Whereas local churches were rather independent, Rome became the center of power for all churches.
5. Whereas the following of Jesus had bonded believers, theological agreement became the new basis of unity.
6. Whereas Christians had formerly been persecuted, Christians now began persecuting the unorthodox.
7. Whereas Christians had previously been non-violent, the stage was now set to fight in the Empire’s wars.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:36 pm

Matt,

Thanks for sharing these. They are well thought-out.

Conde

Post by Conde » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Yes, thanks Matt,
This helps me in studying the Word & gets me to look at history more. Now I can spell Eusebius . Can't wait to start researching some of these quotes. I've been listening to Steve's series on church history. I didn't realize how helpful it would be to study church history. Thanks.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:45 pm

The Theology of Merger

As the merger between the Roman Empire and the Christian Church deepened, Christians began participating in Roman military conflict. This provoked fresh theological reflection known as Just War Theory.

The Just War Theory has Roman roots, but was utilized and elaborated upon by Augustine in the early 5th century and codified by Aquinas in the 13th century. The theory attempts to provide criteria through which a Christian may participate in violent conflict.

Some Criteria for Christians Entering into War
1. Just Cause- "Force may be used only to correct a grave, public evil, i.e., aggression or massive violation of the basic human rights of whole populations."
2. Last Resort- “Force may be used only after all peaceful and viable alternatives have been seriously tried and exhausted or are clearly not practical.”
3. Competent Authority- "A just war must be initiated by a political authority within a political system that allows distinctions of justice.”
4. Probability of Success- “Arms may not be used in a futile cause. The anticipated benefits of waging a war must be proportionate to its expected evils or harms.”

Some Criteria for Christians Participating in War
1. Proportionality- “An attack cannot be launched in the knowledge that the incidental civilian injuries would be clearly excessive.”
2. Distinction- “The acts of war should be directed towards enemy combatants, and not towards non-combatants caught in the circumstances.”
3. Fair Treatment- “Enemy soldiers who surrendered or who are captured no longer pose a threat. It is therefore wrong to torture and/or humiliate them.”
4. Love- [in regard to the command to turn the other cheek and love your enemy] “What is here required is not a bodily action, but an inward disposition.”

Critique of the Christian Use of Just War Theory
1. Christian utilization of Just War Theory necessitates a re-interpretation of Jesus’ clear teachings on the subject that may not be justified.
2. While the theory may be an admirable ethic for a worldly nation, it is questionable whether Christians should participate with the world in these ways.
3. Unfortunately, the criteria are not very black and white. Gray areas and unknowable factors leave the theory vague enough to be almost meaningless.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Sad Stories of Merger

The Crusades (1095-1291)
Once the justice of occasional violence was established, Christians came to justify violence more and more often. Urban II rallied a broken Europe by calling Christians to crusade (take up their crosses) in defense of the Holy Land. Just-War gave way to Holy-War.

Wonderful things were to be seen. Numbers of Muslims were beheaded. Others were shot with arrows and forced to jump from the towers. Others were tortured for several days and then burned with flames… It was a just and marvelous judgment of God, that this place should be filled with the blood of unbelievers since it had suffered so long from their blasphemies. At nightfall their hands were still bloody when they folded them in prayer and knelt at the church of the Holy Sepulchre sobbing with excess joy. (quote from a chronicler of the 1st crusade)

The Inquisition (13th-19th centuries)
The Inquisition is a label for the church’s attempt to maintain orthodoxy among its members by subjecting suspected heretics to a board of inquiry. Officials often utilized torture to provoke confession. This concept led to the other ‘witch-hunts’ by Catholics/Protestants.

Bodily torture has been found the most salutary and efficient means of leading to spiritual repentance. (Pope Innocent IV)

Besides, any man against whom it can be proved that he is a maker of sedition is outside the law of God and Empire, so that the first who can slay him is doing right and well. (Martin Luther)

Return to “Ethics”