How should we interact with the culture?

Right & Wrong
mattrose

How should we interact with the culture?

Post by mattrose » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:48 am

As Christians, we are called to 'come out of' the worldly system, but go into the world (to make disciples). There is a tension here. Some put too much emphasis on 'coming out' and therefore never make an impact. Others over-emphasize 'going in' and therefore water down their faith in hopes of reaching more people. It seems to me we navigate this tension by interacting with the culture in various ways. I came up with a little 'ABCD' formula that helps me think through the issue of how to relate to the culture:

Adapt
Boycott
Cultivate
Destroy

Each of these, I feel, is appropriate in different cases. Each can be used rightly or wrongly. If a culture is the beliefs, practices and productions of a certain group of people, then we can take any individual belief, practice, or production and analyze which of the 4 options (ABC or D) is appropriate in that specific case. Here are 3 examples:

Cultural BELIEF: People need more SELF-ESTEEM
Should we adapt to this belief (start teaching and preaching about the need for self-esteem)? Should we boycott the whole discussion since it's not really a biblical concept? Should we cultivate it in the sense that we recognize the sense in which it is true and encourage that while, at the same time, weeding out the parts of it that are not true? Or should we start a campaign which attacks the worldly teachings about self-esteem?

Culture PRACTICE: People have SHORT-ATTENTION-SPANS
Should we adapt to this practice (ie, aim for shorter services, create visually stimulating kids' ministries, etc)? Should we boycott/ignore the issue and keep doing things the way we've done them? Should we attempt to cultivate what we can in the person in the short amount of time we have their attention? Or should we try to cultivate a longer attention span (thus destroying the short attention span)?

Cultural PRODUCTION: People were very interested in THE-DA-VINCI-CODE
Should we choose to be entertained by this movie? Should we also speak against religious institutions? Should we boycott Hollywood until they start making movies more favorable to Christianity? Should we be glad that, at least, Jesus is being talked about in the media and cultivate the discussion for good (write response books)? Should we blow up the studio (obviously not)?

Of course, any cultural belief, practice, or production can be put through this ABCD system. And I think it would create helpful discussion.

Murf

Re: How should we interact with the culture?

Post by Murf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:19 am

This is a great question and I like your formula, but I think your accromym as you presented it only applys internally. That is intra-Christian.

When dealing with nonChristians I'm thinking of a formula like this:

F - Find out what the Bible actually teaches first
L - Love nonChristians
E - Engage them on common ground to build a relationship
E - Endeavor to not conform to the culture you are in currently

tim

mattrose

Re: How should we interact with the culture?

Post by mattrose » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:22 am

Thanks for the feedback Tim :)

Yes, my thinking in this area is to help the Christian know how to interact with cultural beliefs, practices & productions in regards to their own spiritual formation. I think your acrostic is a helpful reminder about how to relate with the people within the culture. Thanks again!

Return to “Ethics”