Preferred Bible Translation

remade

Preferred Bible Translation

Post by remade » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:43 am

I've been reading articles on Bible translation philosophy, and what most consider the "most accurate word-for-word" translation is. Much to my surprise, according to two sources so far, the "BEST" word-for-word is deemed the

New American Standard Bible

followed closely by, wait for it, the AMPLIFIED BIBLE (?!?!?)

and then usually listed 3rd down is what I read, the English Standard Version, and then between "Word for Word" and "Thought for thought" is the almightily revered King Jimmy and his newer counterpart.

Do any of you agree or disagree with these claims? What translations do you read and/or prefer, and why?
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- II CORINTHIANS 5:21 ESV

SteveF

Re: Preferred Bible Translation

Post by SteveF » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:30 pm

Rather than pointing to a particular translation I simply recommend making sure you read more than one. If you find a significant variance in the translation of a particular verse or word, this would be a good indicator it's time do some digging and find out why.

In this way, multiple translations can be a tool to highlight translation issues and biases.

Timios

Post by Timios » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:44 pm

As I understand it, when translating from one language to another, there is no such thing as a "word for word" translation. For some words must be translated into several words in the other language and vice versa.

remade

Post by remade » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:26 pm

Timios wrote:As I understand it, when translating from one language to another, there is no such thing as a "word for word" translation. For some words must be translated into several words in the other language and vice versa.
"Word for Word" translation philosophy, also known as "Literal translation," seeks to translate EACH word from the Greek / Hebrew to English. As you said, some original words need a few or more English words to get the point across. "Word-for-word" is an actual translation philosophy title, and really isn't misleading. NASB, ESV, (N)KJV are all examples of word-for-word. Obviously the interlinear Bible is probably the most literal, word-for-word translation out there.

Word-for-word is different than "thought-for-thought" also known as dynamic/functional equivalence. As the idea suggests, this latter philosophy seeks to get the thoughts of the verses across, but takes liberty sometimes with more words. It hopes to interpret the Scripture / verse's entire meaning across, and the philosophy is, sometimes thought-for-thought does a better job rather than possibly losing contemporary meaning by erring through particularly trying to get every word across. Examples are NIV, NLT, etc.

Lastly there are paraphrases such as the Message, or the Living Bible, which takes the most liberty, and instead seeks to poetically capture the narrative essence of a given chunk of Scripture. In doing this, it even departs from word-for-word, or thought-for-thought, and really just probably is idea-for-idea. The reasoning behind these sorts of translations are usually listed in the preface, for example Peterson in his Message translation actually warns against his readers to not use his paraphrase as a Study Bible, as that was not his intent. He merely states for basic understanding purposes of the Bible's story, was the reason he paraphrased it.
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:56 pm

I prefer dynamic (thought-for-thought) translations as I actually think the best of them do a better job of communicating the intention of the biblical author. I actually like the NLT best. But I do agree that Bible students should utilize both word-for-word and thought-for-thought translations in their study. I have a 8-translation parallel New Testament that I use frequently (especially NASB, ESV, NKJV, NIV, NLT, MESSAGE)

Timios

Post by Timios » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:54 pm

I have heard that there are case endings in Greek and also in Latin. So for example, a single word in Greek or Latin with a certain case ending might mean "of the man". So there's no way of translating that Greek or Latin word with a single English word. It takes three English words to translate it. So how can there be a "word for word" translation? Or is "word for word" not meant literally?
'

NebraskaMike

Post by NebraskaMike » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:39 pm

mattrose wrote:I prefer dynamic (thought-for-thought) translations as I actually think the best of them do a better job of communicating the intention of the biblical author. I actually like the NLT best. But I do agree that Bible students should utilize both word-for-word and thought-for-thought translations in their study. I have a 8-translation parallel New Testament that I use frequently (especially NASB, ESV, NKJV, NIV, NLT, MESSAGE)
An 8-translation New Testament. That's impressive! I didnt know there was such a thing. :-) For anyone who likes to do parallel study, I like to use biblegateway.com. I think 5 translations is the max (depending on the device you are using I suppose). My preferences for the thought-for-thought translations are the Amplified and the NLT. Although I have not looked at them all.

TruthInLove

Post by TruthInLove » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:56 pm

If you'd like to study the Scriptures in their original languages as well as multiple modern translations, I've found blueletterbible.org to be a very helpful site. Once you look up a chapter, clicking the "Tools" button on the left of each verse presents an inline box showing both the original Greek and/or Hebrew version of the complete verse as well as a reverse inter-linear mapping of the English words to the originals. You can also search the less ancient manuscripts like the Latin Vulgate, Textus Receptus, and Septuagint. Each word or phrase has links to the complete Strong's and Gesenius lexicon entries as well. It's free, easy to use, and very efficient.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:09 pm

NebraskaMike wrote:An 8-translation New Testament. That's impressive! I didnt know there was such a thing. :-)
Here's a link to the one I have... It's handy :)
https://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-Par ... +testament

remade

Re TIMIOS - Word for Word Description

Post by remade » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Timios wrote:I have heard that there are case endings in Greek and also in Latin. So for example, a single word in Greek or Latin with a certain case ending might mean "of the man". So there's no way of translating that Greek or Latin word with a single English word. It takes three English words to translate it. So how can there be a "word for word" translation? Or is "word for word" not meant literally?
'
Is "word-for-word" not meant literally? I guess I'll put it this way:

I have an Old Spice Hair Shower Wash. It has both English and French on there, however to say "hair wash" is like four French words. Something "pour de le courps" or something. Don't quote me. The point being, is that that is a word-for-word translation, but it took five french words to say two English words.

Similarly to say "Cheese Dip" in Spanish, it's "salsa de queso". I just did a word-for-word translation, and it ended up in 3 words in Spanish, because literally what's being said is "dip of cheese." The mechanics of the Spanish language just makes a word-for-word translation of 2 English words into 3.

The same is being done for the Hebrew / Greek into English. Simply because it takes more English words to say Greek words, doesn't mean it's not WORD for WORD anymore.. it just means the language mechanics demands it.

If you're hung up on the SINGULAR 'word" for SINGULAR 'word," all that that philosophy is describing, is that unlike thought for thought, the translators are interested in translating every single word, some Greek words demand two (or more) english words, and others do not. Thought for thought doesn't get hung up on translating every single word, just every thought. So for example for the words, "God atones for our sin," might be, "God dies and pays the price for our sins," in a thought for thought translation. It's the same thought, but just not a word-for-word translation, why? Because they extracted the thought of "atones" into more contemporary words.

Does that all make sense?

Return to “General Bible Discussion”