The Reliability of the New Testament

Chip

Re: The Reliability of the New Testament

Post by Chip » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:32 pm

All also wonder sometimes why didn't Jesus sat to the disciples. ( Look guys all this stuff Iam doing is real important when to get somebody who can write and wright all this stuff Iam saying and doing . And make lots of copies.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:39 pm

Your last point is a good one. I have often thought this when going round in circles with respects theological discussion.

My wife said something to me once that was probably the biggest slap in the face (no doubt needed) that she could have given me. We were talking about the angry atheist crowd that has become increasingly vocal in the last decade. We were generally in agreement about it, but she smiled a bit and looked at me and asked “What makes you any different?” She paused, and then went on “Think about it. You intellectualize the Scriptures. You can run rings around me and anyone I know when it comes to those matters. But where is your joy? What are you giving back? What are you doing to recommend your world view?” It stung, but I took it to heart.

I too reflect now on certain words of Jesus in a way that I never did before, for instance:

"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life. -- John 5:40

In fact, it doesn't appear that being well-versed was necessarily a plus for the first century Jews:

"The officers answered, "No one ever spoke like this man!" The Pharisees answered them, "Have you also been deceived? Have any of the authorities or the Pharisees believed in him? But this crowd that does not know the law is accursed." Nicodemus, who had gone to him before, and who was one of them, said to them, "Does our law judge a man without first giving him a hearing and learning what he does?" They replied, "Are you from Galilee too? Search and see that no prophet arises from Galilee." John 7:46-52

I can say that having alot of head knowledge of the Scriptures hasn't added to the sum total of my walk, nearly as much as reflecting on the example of Christ and seeing whether or not my life measures up. Of course, as most here know, I do enjoy the academic process, and I doubt I could be any different about it, or force my mind to give way to another pattern of behavior. But I have no illusions about the limits of academic exercise and believe in the final analysis, we will be judged based more upon what we did with what we knew, versus what we knew in itself.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:14 pm

I appreciate the direction in which this thread is going.

Knowledge is good, but relationship is everything.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

SteveF

Post by SteveF » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:55 am

How about this passage that i once heard a pastor point out in a sermon. It contrasts head knowledge vs. a heart after Jesus.

1 Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the east came to Jerusalem,
2 saying, "Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him."
3 When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him;
4 and assembling all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born.
5 They told him, "In Bethlehem of Judea, for so it is written by the prophet:

6 "'And you, O Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for from you shall come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel.'"
7 Then Herod summoned the wise men secretly and ascertained from them what time the star had appeared.
8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, "Go and search diligently for the child, and when you have found him, bring me word, that I too may come and worship him."
9 After listening to the king, they went on their way. And behold, the star that they had seen when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was.
10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy.
11 And going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him
. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. - Matthew 2:1-11

The priests and scribes had the bible knowledge about where the Messiah was to be born but didn't seem to bother to search out where he was. The wise men, without the bible knowledge of the scribes and priests, travelled a great distance and "rejoiced exceedingly with great joy" when they realized they had found him and they worshipped him. Where were the people who had all the bible knowledge?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:54 pm

The priests and scribes had the bible knowledge about where the Messiah was to be born but didn't seem to bother to search out where he was. The wise men, without the bible knowledge of the scribes and priests, travelled a great distance and "rejoiced exceedingly with great joy" when they realized they had found him and they worshipped him. Where were the people who had all the bible knowledge?

SteveF

Great observation. :!:

Chip

Post by Chip » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:24 am

I forget the Chinese guys name he became a Christian and had only a couple of pages of the bible and the holy spirt worked wonders in him. One thing I have learned is everybody has a different opinion of what this means or that means and the bible is no exception. People just try to find people who agree with them. The bible might be without error but people are not. Faith that Gods in charge and he redeems is the overall premise. But then again someone might argue that. Stay in in the house more that's my plan for now.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”