Sleep Paralysis

Angels & Demons
Singalphile

Sleep Paralysis

Post by Singalphile » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 am

On the 7/18/2018, a caller mentioned her experience with what is called sleep paralysis. It seems to me like any discussion of that phenomenon should mention the medical descriptions and suggested remedies, which include better sleeping habits and sleeping on your side or stomach. Stress and genetics are also possible factors.

Like nightmares, sleep paralysis could be (and has been) attributed to aliens, monsters, or demons. It is impossible to disprove that, at least currently, but I do not think it is at all necessary or very wise to assume that it is supernatural or alien. We do not know that. I have never experienced it nor do I know anyone who has, but the videos look pretty frightening. The more it is understood as a somewhat common physical abnormality, the less fearful it would be, I think.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

steve

Re: Sleep Paralysis

Post by steve » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:21 pm

I would be less likely to attribute the experience to demons if, in every case reported to me by the sufferer, the problem had not vanished upon the victim's calling out to Jesus. If it was a merely medical issue, I would love to find every medical problem alleviated instantly by such an expedient. Maybe there is a medical condition that has similar symptoms. The cases reported to me do not seem to behave like medical illnesses. Like yourself, I am reluctant to call something demonic which may have a better explanation—but I am also reluctant to discount the demonic where the evidence may point that direction, simply because the discounting of the demonic is a characteristic of our skeptical age.

TK

Post by TK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 am

I have found the phenomenon of sleep paralysis fascinating because of its ability to explain many different allegedly paranormal phenomena (eg alien abduction, ghosts, shadow people, out of body experiences, etc).

I have never personally experienced this and hope I do not.

Steve you mentioned that people have told you that when they called out the name of Jesus the phenomenon stopped. This may be a finer point, but in true sleep paralysis a person is unable to speak so I assume they called out “in their mind.” If they were able to physically call out then it likely was not true sleep paralysis.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:44 pm

I am not prepared to say that what people have described to me would be the same thing that some call "sleep paralysis." I have only heard their testimonies, and they have not generally called it that. Some of them had the experience regularly until they called out on Christ. They usually say they felt actual weight like a body lying on top of them, and felt what seemed like hands around their throats. Their crying out to the Lord seems to have been a whisper or a bare choking out of the Name. I am not making a case about any named phenomenon that might not conform to these phenomena. I am simply repeating what I have been told by (I would estimate) between 12 and 15 different people in various locations, who had never encountered each other.

TK

Post by TK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Well if it ever happens to me I surely know Whose name I’ll be calling out!

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:23 pm

I can recall as a child, having dreams in which I could not move (rather infrequent). I never considered the condition to be demonic. I found that if I gave my body a sudden jerk, I would be able to move again.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:15 pm

I had the same thought as TK. It may be that calling out can only occur just as the paralysis ends naturally, which would seem to coincide with the end of the experience. But I don't know enough about the phenomenon to say one way or another. In any case, those who think that God saved them from a demonic attack - which is certainly possible - would probably be more likely to tell other believers about it, I reckon.

If the experts don't fully understand it, I certainly don't. So, again, I think it's probably a good idea to let people know that it is a known, observable experience with a name (sleep paralysis) that might have natural, medical explanations and has suggested treatments (not necessarily involving drugs).

The experience is reportedly universal, occurring to believers and pagans alike in all cultures. What would demons be trying to achieve with such attacks? I don't know.

I've had a few somewhat similar experiences, Paidion. Never in the least bit scary, though. I always found it interesting and amusing, actually.

Thank you.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

TK

Post by TK » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:56 am

I have several times had an experience they call “exploding head syndrome” (see Wikipedia) where I hear a loud crash like glass breaking just as I’m falling asleep. I have also experience it as someone calling my name loudly. If I ever hear that three times I’ll say “speak Lord for your servant is listening.” :)

Biblegate

Post by Biblegate » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 am

Coincidentally (not consequently) the Narrow Path "Call of the Week" happens to be the call concerning Sleep Paralysis. If you didn't get to hear the call, or would like to hear it again, here it is:

https://youtu.be/rAu58irNKjc

Return to “Angelology & Demonology”