Morning Star?

Angels & Demons
_Anonymous

Morning Star?

Post by _Anonymous » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:42 pm

What exactly is the morning star? I know specifically that Jesus calls himself the morning star but what of the negative implications in Isaiah? I've just been having problems putting what it says in the New Testament together with the thing in the Old Testament. And Yes I know that the Morning Star is Venus. I just want to know what to make of the differences.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Some Partial-Pret guy

Post by _Some Partial-Pret guy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:53 pm

Hello my friend, God bless.
Welcome to the board.

Steve's MP3,

http://www.thenarrowpath.com/mp3s/spi/spi02.mp3

tells the Origin of Satan and the whole Morning Star thing.

It is good and I enjoyed the stuffin's out of it.

Peace and Chicken grease.
Take care.
:D :D :D

P.S. -Very wise to put this in both "Demonology" and "Eschatology" sections.
It was sure to get picked up by someone. lol

P.S.S- See also:
http://www.thenarrowpath.com/mp3s/spi/spi01.mp3
http://www.thenarrowpath.com/mp3s/spi/spi03.mp3
Futher info on this
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:18 pm

It seems obvious that the term "morning star" is used figuratively in scripture (that is, none of the references seem to be speaking about the literal planet Venus), and the various passages that employ the terminology do not always use it in the same manner.

The confusion over the use of the term in Isaiah 14:12 (where some translations render the term as "Lucifer") is compounded by the different notions of who it is that is addressed in the passage. An extremely common view is that this verse is addressed to Satan, prior to his fall. There is certainly nothing in the context or in an exegetical approach to this verse that would justify this popular identification, but it has been the "standard view" for many centuries. Some of us believe that the addressee in the passage is the king of Babylon, a human ruler who is addressed (as rulers often are in scripture) as the personification or the representative of his empire. This is the impression given in the context (verse 4), and everything that is said about the addressee is applicable to the king of Babylon, so there seems no reason to look further for clues. Since "Morning Star" was not the actual name of any of the kings of Babylon, it is probable that we should view it as a regal title or a term of esteem and respect.

This would help us to see why Jesus is also called by that title in Revelation 22:16. Other terms associated with royalty are attributed to Christ elsewhere. He is called "the blessed and only Potentate" as well as "King of kings" and "Lord of lords"(1 Tim.6:15). All of these are terms that the subjects of any king might have used in addressing their sovereign. In fact, Daniel, in addressing Nebuchadnezzar, called him "king of kings" (Dan.2:37). That Christian writers would apply such titles to Christ is natural and appropriate enough to require no extensive justification.

Then there are the rather "strange" occurrences of the expression, which seem to be necessary to take as unique cases. Though commentators often say that the term "morning star" refers to Venus, there are certainly cases in scripture where this is not so, because the term is found in the plural: "morning stars" (Job.3:9; 38:7). Here, I suppose, the term just refers to stars that are visible in the early part of the day, since there is only one planet Venus.

In Revelation 2:28, Jesus promises to give the morning star to those who overcome. At first, we might assume that this simply means that Christ will give Himself (since He is later called the Morning Star) to the believer who endures to the end. However, Christ has already given Himself to every believer, and most of the promises to the overcomers seem to be related to the glory of the future, eternal state. I am inclined to think this reference is like that in 2 Peter 1:19--

"And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts."

Though this statement is very cryptic, and its meaning is debated by the scholars, it would seem that it is related to the glory of Christ, who is the Morning Star, arising, or being manifested in the believer at the end of time (cf. Rom.8:18/ Col.3:4).

Not all is clear, but the one thing that does seem clear enough is that the term "morning star" is used a variety of ways in different contexts.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:46 pm

I listened to the preaching about the Morning Star and the origin of Satan. It answered many questions I had about the whole origin of Satan thing. I have actually heard the Devil created as a tester thing before. Near the end of the message you touched on my major question. Doesn't the Bible say that Hell was created for the Devil and his demons? Or is this another assumption that we have all been taught? And in the light of Rev.20:10, where it says that the Devil will be tormented day and night forever and ever, how can God hold him responsible for something he was created to do? I know you answered this question a bit but do you have any further insight?

Thanks, by the way, for the insight on the Morning Star thing. Most of the confusion is gone now.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:47 pm

I listened to the preaching about the Morning Star and the origin of Satan. It answered many questions I had about the whole origin of Satan thing. I have actually heard the Devil created as a tester thing before. Near the end of the message you touched on my major question. Doesn't the Bible say that Hell was created for the Devil and his demons? Or is this another assumption that we have all been taught? And in the light of Rev.20:10, where it says that the Devil will be tormented day and night forever and ever, how can God hold him responsible for something he was created to do? I know you answered this question a bit but do you have any further insight?

Thanks, by the way, for the insight on the Morning Star thing. Most of the confusion is gone now.
Reason:

_Some Partial-Pret guy

Post by _Some Partial-Pret guy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:22 am

Yeah, like you, I've listen to that on back and I'd like to hear more insight into that as well. :D :D :D
Reason:

Return to “Angelology & Demonology”