Is there such a thing as a "spirit of...."

Angels & Demons
Ian

Is there such a thing as a "spirit of...."

Post by Ian » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:04 am

I have been watching youtube videos by Doug Perry and the late Derek Prince. Both (and I assume others too) name demons after ailments of one kind or another. So there is a "spirit of loneliness" or a "spirit of disappointment" for example. They don`t mean "spirit" as in "air of". They mean real demons with that ailment as their defining personality trait. I had never heard this. Is this Biblical or just experience-based assumption on their part? If the latter, is it going too far?
Is there such a thing for example as a "spirit of death" (an in-dwelling or oppressing demon that will bring about your premature end unless you nip it in the bud and expel it)? Or how about a "spirit of fear", one that specializes in making you anxious and causing you nightmares?

steve

Re: Is there such a thing as a "spirit of...."

Post by steve » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:45 am

Though the Bible uses terms like "spirit of bondage," "spirit of fear," "spirit of harlotry," "spirit of infirmity", etc., it is not obvious that these terms refer to actual demons, in their respective contexts. It cannot be ruled out, though, in such cases, "spirit" seems to carry the idea of "character" or "condition."

This doesn't mean that there can't be demons associated with specific sins or afflictions. There are demons that cause physical blindness and muteness (Matt.9:32; 12:22). In scripture, we are given very little specific information about the demons. I would not rule-out the possibility that some demons may specialize in the promotion of specific sins.

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:36 pm

If I recall correctly the ancient Jews had quite an elaborate demonolgy. They assigned spirits to just about everything. This was probably for the most part superstition. But I think the preacher you mentioned is quite Judaistic in his thinking. Maybe they have borrowed these ideas from the ancient Jews?

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

Ian

Post by Ian » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:45 am

Doug Perry, seeing in the spirit, would see these demons as different shapes, for example the spirit of loneliness as a "sad-looking blue puffball hiding behind the heart":

7.40 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgu6dua ... QA&index=2

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:04 am

Hi Ian,

My mistake. I was thinking of someone else, who's name is "Perry Stone", that is the pro-Israel preacher. This fellow I am not familiar with. Unfortunately, I think this fellow is a little troubled if he sees demons around every corner. Frankly, from my perspective, demons and Satan (the real deal) are a very serious business, and I feel this kind of thing gives them more credit then they are due, as well as trivializes the real thing.

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

steve

Post by steve » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:12 am

In any case, Derek Prince was very strongly pro-Israel.

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Post by backwoodsman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:37 pm

That kind of demonology and the "spiritual warfare" (note the quotes) that goes with it are a lot closer to witchcraft and a gnostic way of thinking, than to anything Jesus or the apostles taught.

Return to “Angelology & Demonology”