Partial Preterist Passages on The End of the World?

End Times
remade

Partial Preterist Passages on The End of the World?

Post by remade » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, please point me to it if it has - but what are some passages on the end of the world for a partial preterist, (not 70AD, but the Lord's visible return at the end of the world)?

Thanks for any help.
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- II CORINTHIANS 5:21 ESV

steve

Re: Partial Preterist Passages on The End of the World?

Post by steve » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 am

I posted the following on Facebook, answering essentially the same question:

The first reason I reject full-preterism is that the following things cannot credibly be said to have happened in AD70:

—There was no “appearing of the glory of Christ” in the Church (Tit.2:13; Rom.8:18)

—The Church did not see Jesus “face-to-face” nor come to “know as we are known” (1 Cor.13:12)

—The Church did not become “like Him” (1 John 3:2)

—Neither the Church nor the Christians individually had their bodies glorified (Phil.3:21)

—The Church did not become “a mature man” (Eph.4:13)

—God’s will is not yet being done on earth as it is in heaven (Matt.6:10)

—The devil was not permanently removed from the earth (Matt.25:41; Rev.20:10)

—The creation was not delivered from the bondage of decay (Rom.8:21)

—There did not come a new heavens and new earth in which righteousness dwells (2 Pet.3:13)

—There came no era in which death, or sorrow, or crying, or pain ceased to exist (Rev.21:4)

—There came no end of marriage (Luke 20:35)

—The groaning of the Christians in their bodies did not end (Rom.8:23)

—There was no final conquest of all Christ’s enemies (1 Cor.15:24-25)

—There was no final conquest of death (1 Cor.15:26)

—The living saints were not caught up to meet the Lord in the air (1 Thess.4:17)

---------------
The second reason is that there is predicted to be a very long time (symbolized as 1000 years) between the binding of Satan, on the one hand, and the resurrection and creation of New Heavens and New Earth, on the other (Rev.20). Even J. Stuart Russell (mostly regarded as a full-preterist) could not get over this point, and said that the last part of Revelation 20 could not be reconciled with full-preterism.

remade

Re: Partial Preterist Passages on The End of the World?

Post by remade » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Steve,

Thanks. This is solid stuff. Putting these passages down in the front of my Bible under "LAST COMING." (:

God bless
Kev
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- II CORINTHIANS 5:21 ESV

Return to “Eschatology”