My Preterist Journey (so far + video)

End Times
RickC

Re: My Preterist Journey (so far + video)

Post by RickC » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:01 pm

VERY briefly & I'll be back in a day or so.

The pre-ascension resurrected body of the Lord was, indeed, quite special: appearing in a room not walking through a door, face unrecognizable, road to Emmaus, etc.

The post-ascension body of Jesus was a blinding light!!!! (Paul, road to Damascus).

1Co 15:42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable.
1Co 15:43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power.
1Co 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
1Co 15:45 Thus it is written, "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
1Co 15:46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual.
1Co 15:47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven.
1Co 15:48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven.
1Co 15:49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.

My emphases in bold are there to ask questions:
1) Is the Lord's ascended body now transformed fully into pure spirit? It surely seems so; it's what the text says.
2) Our post mortem bodies will bear/become his same 'glorified pneuma image'. Correct? Again, it seems so to me.

Great convo, but I have to go for now.
Last edited by RickC on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:06 pm

Did Jesus had an earthly body, a resurrected body, and an ascended body. I'm not sure Peter or Paul saw it this way. I tend to agree with Hurtado and Zwiep that there is no reason to differentiate between the last two.

Doug, I did think of the angels, and I suspect Jesus did become like them and we will too.
Last edited by psimmond on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

RickC

Post by RickC » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:14 pm

psimmond wrote:Now we're assuming Jesus had an earthly body, a resurrected body, and an ascended body. I see no reason to differentiate between the last two.
If that was directed to me, that wouldn't be how I see things at all. Jesus had and will always have one body, which has undergone great transformations that no other person ever has, or ever will, experience!

I'd like for someone to answer my question(s). Especially on Christ becoming a life-giving spirit.

I have more I could add to this particular topic & may later. It could turn out to be a lot of info (including stuff gathered from Engberg-Pedersen's book). Otherwise, I want to get back with Doug on some of his earlier posts.

Lastly for now, like Doug --- and I thought of this earlier but didn't say it --- I came to accept preterism primarily through The Olivet Discourse and certain immanence statements in the epistles. The book of Revelation didn't factor into my becoming a preterist. As a preterist (now) I'm trying to unravel the book. No one on earth claims to know-it-all on the book, as Doug pointed out earlier.

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:00 pm

Hi RickC,
You commented while I was editing my comment, but I just added that my view on Jesus' resurrected body is shaped by the work of Hurtado and Zwiep.

It seems we see things differently because you believe Jesus "has undergone great transformations that no other person ever has," and I believe his transformation is likely the same transformation we will all experience.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:24 pm

RickC wrote: I'd like for someone to answer my question(s). Especially on Christ becoming a life-giving spirit.
It seems to me this is just Paul's way of identifying the exalted Jesus with God's Spirit/the Holy Spirit. We know that Paul sometimes refers to the Spirit as the "Spirit of Christ" (Rom. 8:9). In other words, Jesus now works in this world through the Spirit in the same way his Father did before him.
RickC wrote: I came to accept preterism primarily through The Olivet Discourse and certain immanence statements in the epistles. The book of Revelation didn't factor into my becoming a preterist. As a preterist (now) I'm trying to unravel the book.
Same here :)
~Garry Friesen

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:38 am

The following link is a very good explanation of what a resurrection body might be made from in 1st Cor. 15. My only criticism is that when you hear him scramble to say "spirit, but not disembodied spirit" I wish he's pointed out that the only reason modern people are confused is that they are coming at this from a Platonist cosmology, which doesn't mesh with the ancient one. But, I'm 95%+ on board.

http://www.nakedbiblepodcast.com/naked- ... -1-cor-15/

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks for the link, dwilkins. I've been impressed with some of Litwa's work and I like Heiser's work on the Divine council. But I've never been that impressed with Heiser's views when it comes to the NT, especially Christology. He seems to see a unified Christology throughout the NT (John agrees with Mark who agrees with Paul). I think this harmonization leads to wrong conclusions.
~Garry Friesen

RickC

Post by RickC » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Old Thread & I've been posting on preterism mostly on Facebook (even in The Narrow Path Group).

I want to add one more thing.

I have an 'insider's scoop' that, before he died, R.C. Sproul had become a full preterist. He didn't go public with it because he said he felt it would let too many people down. I'm sure he must have at least considered that this would put him in a 'heretic' category to many, and that it might mess with his credibility.

A fairly aged man, I feel he probably just didn't want to make waves, so to speak. RIP, R.C. Sproul

Return to “Eschatology”