Multiple Fulfilments of Bible Prophecy

End Times
bibleprotector

Multiple Fulfilments of Bible Prophecy

Post by bibleprotector » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Very often, different views on Bible prophecy, even within one School of interpretation, are very divided and divergent. Or at least, considering the amount of debate, appear to be irreconcilable. However, it has been suggested by some that there are correct elements in a number of different approaches. But, if only they could be brought together, and if only the brethren could agree!

There's been a few different approaches. Some have come up with a model of double fulfilments. Some have advocated germinant (recurring) fulfilments. Others in more recent times has suggested eclectic models. The most comprehensive approach that I know of is "Multiple Fulfilments of Bible Prophecy". You can freely get the book I have written here: http://www.bibleprotector.com/prophecy

Multiple Fulfilments, says, very basically, that there is a first (Preterist), long-term (Historicist) and final (Futurist) fulfilments of certain prophecies, that Daniel divides between this pattern in both the Eastern and Western spheres, and that Revelation also has an additional spiritual/idealist/symbolical fulfilment.
[url]http://www.bibleprotector.com[/url]

Duncan

Re: Multiple Fulfilments of Bible Prophecy

Post by Duncan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:01 am

In Daniel 7 there is no evocation. It shows four kingdoms and then the kingdom of God. Either that has happened or it hasn't. Don't try to sell me on multiple fulfillments of it.
Similarly, in Revelation 11:15-18 the kingdom of this world becomes the kingdom of God. Either that has happened or we are still waiting for it. Again, I don't see multiple fulfillments on this. How many times does this world become the kingdom of God?

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:22 am

Not only that, regarding Duncan's reply, but it contradicts the purpose of the anti type fulfillment in the N.T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robby Young
U.S. Army Retired

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:01 am

BP I will get your book, hopefully you have saved me a lot of copying and pasting time :)

I don't know exactly what BP's view on this are, but my understanding (to which I have tried to get across here before) is that the Judgments are written in a way that they are often for Israel (or a particular person, time, or group) or to both Israel and the rest of the Gentile world, which was held in mystery until Christs incarnation and resurrection, but always in Gods mind.

Malachi 4:5 and Micah 4:7 being prime examples:
"Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD"
"I will make the lame a remnant And the outcasts a strong nation, And the LORD will reign over them in Mount Zion From now on and forever"

Both Elijah and Their King came to Israel, but they rejected them both. The curses and judgment came upon them, but since they rejected the words of The Lord, the Judgment (and the blessings also) will be reloaded and given to the whole (Gentile) world. And in a other applications, I see the warnings as description's of God's Judgments upon all sin, all men, and eventually the whole world (not only the Israel of that time).

bibleprotector

Post by bibleprotector » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Duncan wrote:In Daniel 7 there is no evocation. It shows four kingdoms and then the kingdom of God. Either that has happened or it hasn't. Don't try to sell me on multiple fulfillments of it.
I am not sure you actually read it, because you would see in discussing Daniel 7 (cf Dan. 2) that I am not trying to sell you multiple fulfilments of four kingdoms, nor of multiple fulfilments of the Kingdom of God. What you would find is that only portions of the prophecy, e.g. specifically within the fourth kingdom, are there multiple fulfilments.
Duncan wrote:Similarly, in Revelation 11:15-18 the kingdom of this world becomes the kingdom of God. Either that has happened or we are still waiting for it. Again, I don't see multiple fulfillments on this.
As for Revelation 11:15-18, this in the actual "literal" reading must be of John seeing a vision of 24 elders before the throne, and we know that John saw that vision in the past, and then wrote it down in the Book of Revelation. As for fulfilments of the PROMISE in Revelation 11:15-18, we see the kingdoms of this world being converted to Christianity in the fourth century (Preterist), we see it happening from the Reformation onward and particularly in the Evangelical movement (Historicist), we see it before the coming of Christ with the affects of the Gospel (Idealist/Symbolic Word) and we see it with the Second Coming and the Millennium as the ultimate fulfilment (Futurist).
Duncan wrote:How many times does this world become the kingdom of God?
To answer the question, the literal, ultimate (what some call the "germinant", or others call the "anagogical") fulfilment is only once in the future.

The point is that "multiple fulfilments" does not mean that every scripture has two or more or unlimited interpretations. Nor does it mean two or more different actual, literal, final fulfilments (e.g. the actual Second Coming of Christ at the end is once).

bibleprotector

Post by bibleprotector » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:26 pm

robbyyoung wrote:Not only that, regarding Duncan's reply, but it contradicts the purpose of the anti type fulfillment in the N.T.
See my reply to Duncan. As for types, these are not based on actual prophecies, but on events or ceremonies of the OT. Types are only twofold: the type and the anti-type. "Multiple fulfilments" is quite limited only to certain prophecies.

Some say that Daniel 8 has Antiochus Epiphanes as a type of Antichrist. This is not strictly correct. It is actually a multiple fulfilment prophecy. Types would be more like Cain, Balaam, Sodom, Egypt, Babylon or something like that as a type for its counterpart antitype. Whereas, reference to Antiochus in Daniel 8 is actually an INTERPRETATION of symbolism, not a historical narrative (i.e. types are something literally described in the OT).

bibleprotector

Post by bibleprotector » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:39 pm

jriccitelli wrote:the Judgments are written in a way that they are often for Israel (or a particular person, time, or group) or to both Israel and the rest of the Gentile world, which was held in mystery until Christs incarnation and resurrection, but always in Gods mind.
This is a form of Double Fulfilment. That view says that a prophecy or statement concerning Israel in the OT, can also have a fulfilment with the Church in the NT. This is how the NT interprets the OT.

Examples include the blessing of Abraham's seed. OT = literal. NT = Christians. This debate usually centres on what place the Jews have in the plan of God, which leads to three main options:

1. None, Christians intended with reference to nationality (e.g. some Replacement Theology).
2. Christian Jews along with Gentile Christians (e.g. most Historicism, Historic Premillenialism).
3. Separate stream of Jewish practice parallel to Gentile Christians (e.g. most Dispensationalism).

Return to “Eschatology”