Preterist question on Olivet Discourse, Matthew 24

End Times
_Rae

Post by _Rae » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:08 am

Dee Dee,
Did you call in to BAM a couple of weeks ago and mention your web sites?
HA! That's a great way to advertise! I wonder why more people haven't thought of that?!
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:16 am

Dee Dee Warren wrote:Sean, I am doing some cleaning up of that commentary and posting it as a coherent whole over time at www.preteristlist.com/docs/warrenend.html

I did finish up on that thread

I finally learnt myself some html and CSS
Is there anywhere that you explain what postmillennialism (your postmillennialism, that is) means. I lean more Amil but am currently eager to learn more about the postmillennial view. I know less about it than any other view. It's always nice to learn a "view" from someone what actually holds that view, if you know what I mean. HELP! :)
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Dee Dee Warren

Post by _Dee Dee Warren » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:32 am

Sean if you go to the PreteristList - there is a page on A- and Post-Millennial resources. Here is the link but unframed

http://www.preteristlist.com/millstuff.html

Some of the postmill stuff though on that page is somewhat vitriolic towards a-mill, such as Gary North, though I make it clear on that page that I DO NOT share that antagonism.

I would recommend the online articles by Greg Strawbridge, Kenneth Gentry, Greg Bahsen as a start to my flavour of postmill. Be aware that the newer postmill authors differ considerably from the older ones such as Boettner in that the older works see a future literal one thousand years of gospel prosperity. Postmills like me, maybe more properlycalled Neo-Postmills, do not see things that way.

The Amill resource I have listed by Glenn Peoples is very good (he knows that I consider him a postmill but respect his wish to be considered amill) - he is a good example that the two views overlap considerably - which is why I think antagonism towards amill is misplaced.

The difference between preteristic amills and postmills is slight. The antagonism comes in when an amill is historicist, then I say the disagreement is not so much a mill disagreement but a preterism versus historicism disagreement

That's my two cents anyway.

If you prefer a book I hear (I have not read it yet) that the new book edited by Gentry, For Thine is the Kingdom, is excellent.

As a side note, Strawbridge's article above on 1 Cor 15, heck here is the link

http://www.wordmp3.com/gs/postmill.htm

is excellent as contra premill. It is that passage that kicked me squarely out of premill forever and got me right on the road to postmill. That and Daniel 2. If it were not for those passages I would likely be amill.
Reason:
I am an orthodox postmillennial molinist preterist. Yep.

_Tim

Post by _Tim » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:47 am

Dee Dee:

Couldn't agree more! I Cor 15 and Dan 2 are the pasages that knocked me out of the A-Mil camp forever. Keith Mathison has recently written a book (Postmillennialism: An Eschatology of Hope) on Post-Mil which is very good. He goes through all of the pasages in both the Old and New Test.

Kim Riddlebarger has written a book on Amillennialism that is quite good as well. I don't agree with Ridd. on all points, but there is, as you say, a lot of overlap between the two camps, especially in respect to partial-preterism.

Keep up the good work as we all fight against the present day silliness in the field of eschatology!

In His Love,

Tim
Reason:
He that is sent by God, speaks the words of God.

_Dee Dee Warren

Post by _Dee Dee Warren » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:04 am

Hey Tim - I do have Matthison's book - it actually has been out for quite some time. If you have not read that Strawbridge article do so right now!~ It is a gem.
Reason:

_Tim

Post by _Tim » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:17 pm

Dee Dee:

Thanks for the article suggestion. Fantastic! NIcely done with a beautiful closing paragraph/summary.

Have you read Ralph Bass' new commentary on Revelation? Mine is on back order and haven't read it as such. Getting good reviews, though.

In His Love,

Tim
Reason:
He that is sent by God, speaks the words of God.

_Dee Dee Warren

Post by _Dee Dee Warren » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:04 pm

I just love that article. I am glad you found it edifying. I think Strawbridge is an often over-looked jewel. No, I have not yet read that commentary yet, I am very behind in my reading and writing. I wish I could just quit my job and write and read all day!
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:32 pm

Thanks for the info!
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:27 am

Dee Dee, Do you have anything written on 2 Thessalonians 1 & 2? I'm looking at how these passages relate to the coming in Matthew 24.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:04 am

No Sean at this time I do not - sorry about that. I have commented on it briefly over the years but do not have anything systematic written up.
Reason:

Return to “Eschatology”