Does a Christian have to be in a Church

The Church
MsCread

Does a Christian have to be in a Church

Post by MsCread » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:54 am

Hello,

my question basically is do I have to be a member of a bricks and mortar church? I don't believe I do. I have been considering checking out a Baptist church but now I am not sure it's for me. I am not a dispensationalist and upon further reading on this churches website not only are they dispensationalist but the deny amillennial and postmillennial views. They don't say they are dispensationalist but they are.

I emailed the pastor and told him I am not dispensationalist and my eschatology differs. He still said I am welcome along. I don't know what the point would be if I am going to have to listen to pre trib rapture theory and all that. I just don't think there's any point when straight from the word go, we differ.

I don't think I need fellowship so much that I would do that.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this or if they were in the same situation

TIA

steve7150

Re: Does a Christian have to be in a Church

Post by steve7150 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:46 am

Maybe you can listen to a sermon online and see if this is a major topic. Also maybe you can find out in advance what the topic of the upcoming sermons will be and then decide if you want to attend.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:03 am

MsCread wrote: I emailed the pastor and told him I am not dispensationalist and my eschatology differs. He still said I am welcome along. I don't know what the point would be if I am going to have to listen to pre trib rapture theory and all that. I just don't think there's any point when straight from the word go, we differ.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this or if they were in the same situation

TIA
So the pastor/church is welcoming toward you even though you have a different view on end-times than they do, but you won't join them. It sounds to me like they have taken the healthier stance (not making secondary doctrines like particular eschatological views the main thing).

It also sounds to me like you've got a mistaken notion on what the assembly of believers is supposed to be about in the first place. Gathering together with believers is not, mainly, for the purpose of hearing sound teaching on your favorite doctrines. Gathering together is an opportunity to serve/worship God.

If you're looking for a group of believers with whom you will have no differences, you aren't really looking at all (since you'll never find that). Fellowship is not about making a few Christian friends, it is about being the body of Christ together. If you don't think you NEED fellowship that much, you don't really understand what fellowship is according to the Bible.

I don't mean to sound harsh... nor would I insist you give this particular baptist church an attendance commitment. But I would say that you should pick a gathering of believers (whether it be a local institutional church or a home group) and stick with it whether you discover differences (maybe BECAUSE you notice some differences!) or not.

MsCread

Post by MsCread » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:58 am

mattrose wrote:
MsCread wrote: I emailed the pastor and told him I am not dispensationalist and my eschatology differs. He still said I am welcome along. I don't know what the point would be if I am going to have to listen to pre trib rapture theory and all that. I just don't think there's any point when straight from the word go, we differ.

TIA
So the pastor/church is welcoming toward you even though you have a different view on end-times than they do, but you won't join them. It sounds to me like they have taken the healthier stance (not making secondary doctrines like particular eschatological views the main thing).

I have not made my mind up yet. They very clearly state that they find amillennialism and postmillennialism unscriptural. I am amillennial. If they are clearing stating that then they are only catering to certain Christians are they not?

It also sounds to me like you've got a mistaken notion on what the assembly of believers is supposed to be about in the first place. Gathering together with believers is not, mainly, for the purpose of hearing sound teaching on your favorite doctrines. Gathering together is an opportunity to serve/worship God.

I know what they assembly of believers is, it includes all Christians and not a few. I don't have a problem with hearing doctrines I don't agree with but will I be expected to be quiet on my differing views?

If you're looking for a group of believers with whom you will have no differences, you aren't really looking at all (since you'll never find that). Fellowship is not about making a few Christian friends, it is about being the body of Christ together. If you don't think you NEED fellowship that much, you don't really understand what fellowship is according to the Bible.

I understand fellowship what I don't understand is a brick church calling themselves a church but only catering to certain Christians.

I don't mean to sound harsh... nor would I insist you give this particular baptist church an attendance commitment. But I would say that you should pick a gathering of believers (whether it be a local institutional church or a home group) and stick with it whether you discover differences (maybe BECAUSE you notice some differences!) or not.
Yes I agree with you on this but to what extent should a Christian accept a particular churches doctrine in order to fellowship. I think there is a difference between fellowship within a brick church and fellowship within the true Church.

Thanks for replying

MsCread

Post by MsCread » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:13 am

sorry I forgot to highlight my replies, sorry about that.

I guess I really would rather have fellowship outside a brick church rather than in one that may impose things that I don't believe belong in the true Church. Maybe I have my answer already?

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:38 pm

MsCread wrote:sorry I forgot to highlight my replies, sorry about that.

I guess I really would rather have fellowship outside a brick church rather than in one that may impose things that I don't believe belong in the true Church. Maybe I have my answer already?
If you've found a really good home group to be part of, by all means...

But it doesn't sound, to me, like the 'brick' church is attempting to impose anything on you. They just happen to have a different belief about end-times. If you're wondering where to draw the line, I'd say as long as a church believes in a loving/active God that sent Jesus Christ who lived, died, rose, sent the Spirit and is coming again... there's no reason for dis-fellowship. Deciding to align yourself with people who disagree over secondary issues is not only a mark of maturity (in my opinion) but also a good example to the world about what true unity is about (not uniformity, but shared focus on Jesus).

MsCread

Post by MsCread » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:12 pm

Well I have had another email chat with the pastor and he has clarified a few things for me so I am going to attend the service on Sunday and see how it goes, I am really looking forward to it.

It's a big step for somebody whose only experience of church has been the RCC. I have not been in a church in years and have never experienced a Baptist church.

Thank you for your replies, they did help me see things from a different perspective :)

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:33 am

What led you away from the Catholic Church?

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:44 am

mattrose wrote:

Matt,

Where is it written in the Bible what a secondary doctrine is?

I agree that gathering together is an opportunity to serve/worship God, but do not agree that it is ok to gather with believers who have an incorrect version of the Truth. If you privately interpret the Bible, yes you will never agree with others, because everyone has the capability to interpret the Bible to suit their own comfort level with the Truth. The Truth does not change based on your view of it. It is your duty to seek the Truth, whether you like to agree with it all or not. There is one Church where you can find people with no differences. It's the Catholic Church.

It is bad advice to tell someone to stick with a social church outlet that has potentially flawed theology. I'd be happy to discuss this further in PM so as not to derail the thread, but thought it warranted at least one response here. If others are interested in discussing it, I can start a new thread.

Jon

MsCread

Post by MsCread » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:02 am

Jon wrote:What led you away from the Catholic Church?

I was "incubated" in the RCC as a child by my family.
When I was old enough to refuse to go, I stopped going and never returned.
I wouldn't even consider it now for many personal reasons, it's just not right for me, too materialistic apart from anything else, infant baptism lots of things really.
I can't sit and be surrounded by all the iconology.
It's more the institution I have a problem with than doctrinal issues although I wouldn't be up to speed on all their doctrine either, it just does nothing for me.
There are a couple of guys on youtube I think they call themselves sedavacantists (totally spelled wrong) brother Peter Diamond is one, they maintian the Popes are really rotten and apostate, all to do with Vatican 2.
Popes entertaining no Christians all that kind of stuff. The list is endless.
Many RC I know are worshiping Mary, yet Mary was a sinner just like the rest of us, paid her sacrifice in the temple.

Return to “Ecclesiology”