Bad Example of Church Discipline

The Church
Kerri

Re: Bad Example of Church Discipline

Post by Kerri » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks for your kind words Darin. I'm sorry if I seem to be ranting. The OP kind of struck a nerve. Really it's not always so bad. :/ I probably am focusing too much on the negative. For now, it's where the Lord has me, so I have to figure out how to make the best of it. :)

But I wonder that you all seem to attribute it to Calvinism? But it seems like any church could get hyper authoritarian. Mennonites are pretty authoritarian, but they are Armenian... I think of it mainly stemming from fear, that there will be trouble in the church, maybe even a split at some point, and any sign of trouble needs to be stamped out and rigidly controlled. At least that's the feeling I came away with when I was involved in a situation. Now I really try to steer clear. Very clear.

christopher

Post by christopher » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:42 am

It's funny (and sad) the things people find themselves "in trouble" over. I was threatened with discipline for promoting Steve's show to my friends when it first came on in Portland 6 years ago because the denomination disagrees with his eschatology.

Although it didn't feel like it at the time, it was the best thing that could have happened to me (as absurd and silly as it was).

1. It was a test. My resolve was tested to see how much I would stand by "whatever things" i thought were true, noble, just and pure...and my graciousness was tested toward those who "stand before" me in the faith (which I both passed and failed)

2. It quickly revealed who my true friends were in the church...it turns out there were very few. I was thankful for that revelation.

3. It tested (and proved) my relationship with my wonderful wife (who lost a great deal more than I did). We grew so much closer in that ordeal and I was so blessed that she stood by me.

4. It sent me into the wilderness to be tested, with only the Holy Spirit to guide me.

5. It ultimately led me to the wonderful community I'm in now, where freedom of thought and expression is a core value (which is pretty important for a heretic like me ;) )

So, although some of these unfortunate things happen in the church and certainly bring reproach to the body, I'm continually amazed to see how God redeems them. These things are not outside His control.

To be fair, I have to believe that in most of these situations, the leaders are acting in accordance with their conscience ( misguided as it may be) rather than power trips. There are pressures from the outside and from within to "shepherd" the flock well, and it's impossible not to make misjudgments.

Kerri, I share Darin's sentiment. My heart goes out to you. May the Lord redeem your situation as He has mine.

Lord bless

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:43 am

Christopher,

Your story could be a great example of what's not a primary doctrine on the other thread!

christopher

Post by christopher » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Yeah, but the guy who started that thread is my pastor and I'm trying not to get kicked out of another church so.....shhhhhh :lol:

Return to “Ecclesiology”