Practice Regarding Baptism & Communion

The Church
Homer

Practice Regarding Baptism & Communion

Post by Homer » Mon May 31, 2010 10:32 pm

Many churches practice baptism by immersion and insist that sprinkling and pouring are not actually baptism, but are no more than a token. A person who has been sprinkled will not be considered for membership unless they are first immersed. Yet these same churches observe the Lord's supper in a manner almost nothing like the earliest Christians, passing tiny pieces of bread, to people in the pews, not much bigger than a crumb, that were never part of a loaf. And the fruit of the vine is prepared in a tray (or trays) of thimble sized cups. Is this hypocrisy to be strict about the method of baptism and not communion?

Comments anyone?

For Postpre:

Have you been to Oasis Christian Church and, if so, could you describe their communion practice?

steve

Re: Practice Regarding Baptism & Communion

Post by steve » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:13 am

Good observations, Homer!

postpre

Post by postpre » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi Homer, yes I have been to Oasis. I actually preached when I attended in November of 2008. :-)

Regarding communion, Tim's church website describes their practice/beliefs concerning communion.
At Oasis Christian Church, communion is one of the most important things we do. We believe Christians should obey the Lord's command, "do this in remembrance of Me," every week, following the example set by the Apostles. Communion is the central part of our worship on Sundays.

The communion cups are all filled from the large glass on the communion table. We break a single loaf of bread, as Jesus did, and He told His disciples to do the same. "And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." (Luke 22:19). Paul acknowledged that breaking the loaf was the practice of early Church communion, and explained its significance. "Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf." (1 Cor 10:16-17). The single loaf represents the one body of Christ offered for the sins of all. It also represents our unity as believers in "the body of Christ." Breaking the loaf as part of the communion symbolizes the broken body of Jesus Christ and our being part of Him and one another. All this symbolism is lost when individual wafers are used.

As the loaf is broken each Sunday in the presence of the congregation, it reminds us that we are the cause of Christ's body being broken. Our sins put Him on the cross. Paul also wrote that each time we do this we "proclaim the Lord's death until He comes." We are preaching the Gospel every time we celebrate communion!

The article below answers most common questions about communion.
http://www.oasischristianchurch.org/communion.html

If you continue to read at the link, you'll see that Tim answers those particular questions in more detail.

Let me know if this helps.

Brian

anochria

Post by anochria » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Is this hypocrisy to be strict about the method of baptism and not communion?
yes
Pastor Josh Coles, Aletheia Christian Fellowship
Visit the Aletheia Discussion Forums

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Anochria Wrote:
Is this hypocrisy to be strict about the method of baptism and not communion?

yes
But this would only be true, in many cases, where there was an understanding that the practice of the Lord's supper was inappropriate. And it does take some study to determine this. Baptism, it seems to me, is a much simpler ritual.

Viola, et al, seem to believe the only proper setting for communion is a communal meal such as was practiced at a love feast. However, there is strong evidence that the love feast and Lord's Supper became separated even during the time of the apostles. It does seem evident that the bread used in communion was originally one loaf that was broken ("as we all partake of the one bread") but others argue that the "one bread" is a reference to Jesus.

Interestingly, Both Joachim Jeremias and Wily Rordorf take the phrase "breaking bread" as a reference to communion rather than a meal. Rordorf points out that the phrase was unknown among the Jews; it origin was in the earliest Christian community, apparently going back to Jesus. Today, there is not much "breaking bread".

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Another interesting hypocrisy is participation.

Paedobaptists extend the "sacrament" of baptism to children but normally won't provide communion to them. So, are kids a part of the covenant or not?

brody196

Post by brody196 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:07 am

darinhouston wrote:Another interesting hypocrisy is participation.

Paedobaptists extend the "sacrament" of baptism to children but normally won't provide communion to them. So, are kids a part of the covenant or not?
If that is true...and I am not doubting you, that is indeed crazy!

Return to “Ecclesiology”