Women in the Church question

The Church
Quilter2

Women in the Church question

Post by Quilter2 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:46 pm

Steve, Brethren,
At the church where we have attended since the mid 1990s, the minister is fond of saying that 1Cor 11:3 about man being the head of woman means that all women submit to all men. This is rather woodenly applied in the minutae of life such that things have happened like I am washing dishes, and somebody else's husband comes over and tells me how I ought to be doing it. I have been tweaked like this in other situations that seem kind of nonsensical except as a method to throw their power around. (most of these are Gothard followers if that tells you anything).
My husband and I have always felt that this verse refers to the wife being under the authority of her husband, and of course in a church situation to the male ministry. The verses above about men being covered speaks of every (each, individual etc. according to Strongs #), and a woman would not dishonor all men in the church since they are not all "her head". It just seems like the common sense is that it refers to the husband or even the father of a single woman.
What say ye?
Thanks
Paula

Homer

Re: Women in the Church question

Post by Homer » Mon May 31, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi Paula,

I say ye are correct.

Blessings, Homer

steve

Re: Women in the Church question

Post by steve » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:10 am

Paula,

Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear that this strange doctrine has popped up to oppress Christian women who already are fighting against the feminist culture just to maintain a godly submission to their own husbands! Women who are submissive to their husbands in our times should be commended for standing against the tide of secular culture, and not have unscriptural burdens added to their lives—as the obligation to submit to every man would certainly do.

Only a commitment to the "King James Only" school of thought could justify interpreting 1 Corinthians 11:3 in that manner. As you probably know, the Greek words "man" and "woman" in this passage are the same words for "husband" and "wife." As you have pointed out, the context itself proves that Paul is talking about roles in married, not gender relations in general.

Return to “Ecclesiology”