Can God Spare the Believer from Sinning, Period, for Good?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
remade

Can God Spare the Believer from Sinning, Period, for Good?

Post by remade » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:48 pm

IF God is all together good, and He is.
If we are altogether sinful.
Yet if God saves the elect through Christ's atonement, and gives us desires for Him.
And if we are a new creation in Him, empowered to not sin or as the Bible says, "present our members for instruments of righteousness"

What is the purpose of sin in a believer's life? If I believe God hates sin so much He had to expiate His wrath on Jesus Christ, why in the world would God want any of His children ever to sin again?

And when we sin again, is there a purpose for it?

Why isn't it just as easy as, "Father, forgive me, and save me from sinning." or as Jesus says, "Forgive me of my trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil," and boom: that's exactly what happens?

How is it can a believer pray and believe in those words, only to be before the throne later on asking for forgiveness of sins, and pleading to not be tempted or to give into temptation? Did the believer not ask God loud enough? Was the believer not genuine enough? Did / does God have reasons to not save someone from sin completely (ie. save a believer from the desires / acts of sinning)? Is the believer not a believer if this is not what's happening in his life?
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- II CORINTHIANS 5:21 ESV

Paidion

Re: Can God Spare the Believer from Sinning, Period, for Goo

Post by Paidion » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Greetings Remade!

The verse immediately after your signature verse is:
Working together with him, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain. (2Cor 6:1- ESV)
So in order to "become the righteousness of God" we need to coöperate with the enabling grace of God. It's synergy, not monergy.
Christ has offered Himself as a sacrifice on our behalf in order to deliver us from sin, but we must give our consent to be so delivered. We cannot overcome by self-effort alone, and God won't deliver us unilaterally.

God's grace is for the purpose of enablement:

For the grace of God has appeared for the salvation of all people, training us to renounce impiety and worldly passions, and to live sensible, righteous, and devout lives in the present age, expecting the blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of the great God and of our Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own who are zealous for good works. Declare these things; encourage and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you. (Titus 2:11-15)

If we are not sin free, it is not because of any lack on Christ's part or on God's part. Rather we have failed to appropriate His enabling grace through faith.

God has no "purpose" in not preventing sin in our life. Rather, respecting our ability to choose, He does not prevent us through force from sinning.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Seballius

Re: Can God Spare the Believer from Sinning, Period, for Goo

Post by Seballius » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:11 am

Good point sir,

I agree with you and find it a compelling fact to why it is synergy. If God did do it all, even the belief, then one would expect the believers to be like ‘humanoids or robots of sinlessness’ after the belief was placed in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”