Repentance Required ~ Video

Man, Sin, & Salvation
Soulsnaxx

Repentance Required ~ Video

Post by Soulsnaxx » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:44 pm

"What is repentance, and how essential is it to salvation?" That's the question a listener asked Steve Gregg, host of The Narrow Path Radio Program. Steve's answer should be heard by Christians, and by folks who assume they are.

To view the latest Soulsnaxx, click here https://youtu.be/ZByLEY0o3YY

Paidion

Re: Repentance Required ~ Video

Post by Paidion » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:40 pm

I watched the video, Soulsnaxx. I think Steve is right in indicating the necessity of repentance in order to become a Christian.

When those who had put Jesus to death were "cut to the heart" at the words of Peter, they cried out to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?"

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Both John the Baptizer and Jesus proclaimed the gospel of the Kingdom by saying,"Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!"

As Steve said, the word translated as "repentance" is "μετανοια" (metanoia) and means "change of mind". It is derived from "μετα" and "νους" (mind). When "μετα" stands alone as a preposition, it means "with" when its object is a noun in the genitive case and "after" when it object is in the accusative case. But when it is a prefix in a word, it seems to have a meaning that involves change.

Here are some other examples of its use as a prefix.
μεταβαινω — This word means "I depart."
"βαινω" means "I walk" and so if I walk in such a way to change my present location to another, that means "I depart."

μεταδιδωμι — This word means "I impart."
"διδωμι" means "I give" and so if I give in such a way that something I possess changes to the possession of another, "I impart."

μεταγω — this word means "I guide."
"αγω" means "I join together."
If I am joined together with something or someone in such a way that I change it or him in some way, it's or his position or disposition, then I guide it or him.
An example is found in James 3:4 where he speaks of a rudder being a small thing, and yet it guides a large ship. The rudder is joined to the ship, and yet it is able to change the position of the ship (when a person moves it, of course).
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Soulsnaxx

Re: Repentance Required ~ Video

Post by Soulsnaxx » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:37 pm

Paidion wrote:I watched the video, Soulsnaxx. I think Steve is right in indicating the necessity of repentance in order to become a Christian.
Thank you for your informative and interesting post, Paidion.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”