Jesus had Incorrect Opinions?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Is there any objection, biblical or otherwise, to the assertion that the Earth-bound Jesus had incorrect opinions?

I think most would agree that Jesus was not omnipresent and omniscient while He was a baby, child, teenager, etc. But I suspect that some would balk at the statement that He had any wrong or inaccurate opinions. Why?

It is not a sin or a lack of character to have a wrong opinion. It's a part of our humanity (I doubt that we'll ever be omniscient) and often a source of temptation, and Jesus was tempted in every way that we are.

Follow-up: How would Jesus have dealt with having incomplete knowledge or finding out that one of His opinions was wrong?

I hope you're all well. Thanks!
Last edited by Singalphile on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi Singalphile,

I think it would be helpful if we had an example to the thought presented. If Jesus is God, He cannot deny Himself or can He? If not, He was no more ignorant of Himself than The Father. Therefore, whatever limitations He had they cannot deny or contradict His oneness with The Father. Shedding Himself of His magnificent glory/appearance doesn't conflate with Him compromising His absolute deity as The Son, incarnate or not. Nonetheless, we need to present the claim of Jesus' incorrect opinion(s) in order to move forward to investigate this proposed doctrinal dilemma.

Blessings.
Last edited by robbyyoung on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Singalphile

Re: Jesus had Incorrect Opinions?

Post by Singalphile » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:46 pm

Hey, robbyyoung.

I dont actually have any example. I appreciate your thoughts about the question. Interesting.

willowtree

Post by willowtree » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:32 am

Singalphile wrote:Hey, robbyyoung.

I dont actually have any example. I appreciate your thoughts about the question. Interesting.
My pastor once asked rhetorically whether Jesus cut any boards too short in the carpentry shop.

Graeme
If you find yourself between a rock and a hard place, always head for the rock. Ps 62..

TK

Post by TK » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Jesus was human so I’m my opinion he made mistakes that did not amount to sin.

I think he may have missed a cut or two in the wood shop.

He may have made a mistake in his school work.

Some people freak out about such thoughts but it doesn’t bother me at all.

I have often questioned his judgment in not telling his parents he was staying behind in Jerusalem to argue with the priests. I don’t think it amounted to sin but perhaps rather a case where he should have known that his parents would worry about him missing for a couple of days.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:26 pm

Good comments.

I did once hear Larry King ask, "Did Christ think the world was flat?" (It's in the last seconds of this short clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_i0uvsyTPg)

Edit: And also, Steve G. did mention on the show today that Jesus was not omniscient while on Earth. So we would all agree to that, I think. But it's a little more of a jump to conclude that He therefore had a wrong opinion about something (even if just some mundane thing).

crgfstr1

Post by crgfstr1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:09 am

TK wrote:...
I have often questioned his judgment in not telling his parents he was staying behind in Jerusalem to argue with the priests. I don’t think it amounted to sin but perhaps rather a case where he should have known that his parents would worry about him missing for a couple of days.
I think there was a reason for this. I am not sure I can put my finger on all of what we are to get out of it there are several things that are interesting. It was 3 days they were away from Him. His questions seem and answer to it as well seem interesting. We seek Him. How are we to know where to find Him.

TK

Post by TK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:50 pm

I wonder if he would hear “laurel” or “yanny?” That would solve the debate. But, it is “laurel.”

https://youtu.be/1mes0WCHG3c

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:38 pm

His disciples said, "Ah, now you are speaking plainly and not using figurative speech! Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God." (John 16:29, 30)
If Jesus knew all things, could he have held incorrect opinions?

Of course, doubtless some would say that His disciples held an incorrect opinion by affirming the above.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Paidion wrote:
His disciples said, "Ah, now you are speaking plainly and not using figurative speech! Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God." (John 16:29, 30)
If Jesus knew all things, could he have held incorrect opinions?

Of course, doubtless some would say that His disciples held an incorrect opinion by affirming the above.
A good point to raise. 1. Did they mean "all things" literally? 2. If they did, were they correct about that? 3. Did He know "all things" during His entire time here? I would say, no, to the first question.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”