Do you obey Jesus?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
dizerner

Re: Do you obey Jesus?

Post by dizerner » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:42 am

JacobMartinMertens wrote:
morbo3000 wrote:You're fishing again Jacob.

Just tell us your opinion.
What is fishing? What do you mean here? Why do people have difficulty with this question?

Obeying Jesus is not up to anyone's opinion. Sorry.
Looks like you know something about fishing. :P By the way, I was just quoting Philippians 3.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:46 am

Paidion posted a list from the SOM One example:
2.Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.
I would ask this: Is this a new law as in the Ten Commandments? Or is this really about the kind of person you are? There are many people out panhandling. Is it a command from Jesus that we give money to every one of them we encounter? If it is that is what we must do.

A man at church is about 60 years old. He is single, and has not been employed for about 30 years since he inherited a large sum that he lives off of to this day. For many years his lifestyle was that of a drunk. Then he became a Christian and sober. He works with the poor as a volunteer at the "soup kitchen". He volunteers at school reading to children. He serves on the church benevolent committee. He voluntarily drives the church bus. He is a friend of the poor and looks after their needs and helps them. From his work at the soup kitchen he knows the beggars and their habits. He says never give the people holding signs on the street corner any money. Is he disobeying Jesus command? Taken at face value it seems he is sinning.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:10 am

dizerner wrote:
morbo3000 wrote:You're fishing again Jacob.

Just tell us your opinion.
What is fishing? What do you mean here? Why do people have difficulty with this question?

Obeying Jesus is not up to anyone's opinion. Sorry.
Looks like you know something about fishing. :P By the way, I was just quoting Philippians 3.
Regarding Philippians 3, yes I have done the same before.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Homer wrote:He says never give the people holding signs on the street corner any money. Is he disobeying Jesus command? Taken at face value it seems he is sinning.
I don't think so. I think the man is right. There are other ways of giving to the person on the street corner without giving him money (if you suspect he wants it only for booze). Indeed, in that case if you give him money, knowing he will injure himself further with booze, you may be sinning. If he claims to want the money for food, take him to a restaurant and buy him a meal, and sit and talk to him during his meal—maybe have a cup of coffee and a donut while you're visiting him.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:45 pm

JacobMartinMertens wrote:Do you obey Jesus?
Yes.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:29 pm

morbo3000 wrote:
Yes.
Amen!

What does Jesus teach for us to obey?
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:42 pm

morbo3000 wrote:
Yes.
Amen!

| Matthew | Mark | Luke | John |
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:58 pm

morbo3000 wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:Amen!

Yes, and Acts plus the red letters (Jesus' words) are not just in these.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:07 am

morbo3000 wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:Amen!

Yes, and Acts plus the red letters (Jesus' words) are not just in these.
Just come out and tell us what you think. "What does Jesus teach for us to obey" fills up these volumes. We can't guess which one you are talking about. Image
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:16 am

morbo3000 wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:Yes, and Acts plus the red letters (Jesus' words) are not just in these.
Just come out and tell us what you think. "What does Jesus teach for us to obey" fills up these volumes. We can't guess which one you are talking about. Image
It's not what I think or what commands of His I remember, think, or talk about. It is what His commands are. We ought to learn them.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”