Is God Completely Other?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
morbo3000

Re: Is God Completely Other?

Post by morbo3000 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:26 pm

dizerner wrote: Well I mean a part of God. Isn't there really a part of each of us that no one else truly knows?
Indeed. Paul said as much.
For who knows a person's thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 1Corinthians 2:11
I approached this thread by speaking of God as wholly outside of creation. Panentheism places God inside creation, rather than out. But does not place him *as* creation, as the pantheists do.

I certainly agree that he is wholly other than human being. And that his ways are not our ways.

I don't believe he is unknowable. That's part of him being *in* creation and not out.

Lots of different ways to talk about God's wholly other-ness.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:30 pm

Theism never denied God interacted and upheld creation. A new term seems completely unnecessary and confusing.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:53 pm

It's not semantics.

In general:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism

In Christianity:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism#Christianity

Some names to throw around, Meister Eckhart, Matthew Fox, Process theology, Creation Spirituality, Thomas Berry, Walt Wink. Charlene Spretnak.

This isn't your daddy's theism.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”