Jesus has a God?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
Paidion

Re: Jesus has a God?

Post by Paidion » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:17 pm

So Dizerner, do you yourself believe in an infinite regression of time into the past?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:14 pm

No, I wouldn't see it like that. I believe God is something (fundamentally) that I literally can't think. But it does say he put eternity in our hearts, so we can know him in some way. It might make me sad to think there's a part of God I can never know, but is probably for my own benefit—and he's promised there's so much of him we can know. Now that I think of it, even Scripture says heaven holds a promise of something we can't even imagine now.

BrotherAlan

Post by BrotherAlan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:05 am

Jesus has two natures, a divine and a human; He is God and Man. So, as a man, He, like all men, has a God.

Merry Christmas!

In Christ, the God-Baby Boy of Mary in Bethlehem,
BrotherAlan
"Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and always, and unto the ages of ages. Amen."

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:40 am

Yes, He HAS two natures, human and divine. But while He walked this earth He was fully human and possessed only a human nature. In becoming man He emptied Himself of all of His divine attributes (Philippians 2:7) and retained only his identity as the Son of God. He got hungry and thirsty like any other man. Like any other man, He could not perform miracles. He said, "I can do NOTHING of myself." It was the Father who dwelt within Him who performed the miracles THROUGH Him.

If only we could submit to the Father's will as Jesus did, perhaps God could work miracles through us also.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

BrotherAlan

Post by BrotherAlan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:40 am

Paidion wrote:
Yes, He HAS two natures, human and divine. But while He walked this earth He was fully human and possessed only a human nature. In becoming man He emptied Himself of all of His divine attributes (Philippians 2:7) and retained only his identity as the Son of God. He got hungry and thirsty like any other man. Like any other man, He could not perform miracles. He said, "I can do NOTHING of myself." It was the Father who dwelt within Him who performed the miracles THROUGH Him.
No, Jesus did not lose His divine nature when He took to Himself a human nature; rather, He retained His divine nature, while taking to Himself a human nature (and, in so doing, He became fully human). The whole reason why He became Man was so that He could communicate a share in His very divine nature to us; "The Son of God became man so that we might become God," i.e., that we might have a "participation in the divine nature" (1 Pet.), to quote the great Augustine. Were Christ to cease to hold onto His divine nature-- something which is metaphysically impossible (that which is divine can never cease to be divine)-- He would have no ability to be our savior, to elevate us to the divine nature (for nothing can give what it does not have, and so if Christ is to give us a share in His divine nature, He Himself must retain possession of that divine nature). The fact that Christ said that He can do nothing of Himself does not contradict any of this; in speaking thus, Christ is communicating to us that He eternally receives the divine nature from the Father, the One Who, from all eternity, begets Christ, the Son, communicating to Christ, as God, His divine nature. And, so, it is true that the Son can do nothing of Himself apart from the Father, for the Son, from all eternity, receives His very being as God from the Father.

In Christ, the Eternally-Begotten Son of the Father,
BrotherAlan
"Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and always, and unto the ages of ages. Amen."

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:55 am

No, Jesus did not lose His divine nature when He took to Himself a human nature; rather, He retained His divine nature, while taking to Himself a human nature (and, in so doing, He became fully human).
You are affirming this, but the Philippians passage asserts the contrary.

Also, your signature "In Christ, the Eternally-Begotten Son of the Father" contains the "eternally-begotten" Catholic nonsense.
What does it mean to be "eternally-begotten". The original Nicene Creed said "begotten before all ages" and the early Trinitarians in the catholic church in 325 A.D. accepted that creed. But later Catholics realized that "begotten before all ages" was not consistent with their more carefully-defined Trinitarian thought and so they changed "begotten before all ages" in the original Nicene Creed to "eternally begotten" in their revision of the creed.
Paidion

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”