Christ & Boaz

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
jaydam

Christ & Boaz

Post by jaydam » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:56 pm

I know it is the very popular opinion to see Boaz as a type of Christ through kinsman redeemership. However, I am not seeing this connection as anything more than speculation.

The situation with Boaz and Ruth does not seem to parallel Christ and the believing Jews or all believers.

Is the Boaz-to-Christ comparison just more of people wanting to read more into the Bible than is there, or am I missing something?

Michelle

Re: Christ & Boaz

Post by Michelle » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi, jaydam. Mind if I ask a few of questions?
jaydam wrote:I know it is the very popular opinion to see Boaz as a type of Christ through kinsman redeemership. However, I am not seeing this connection as anything more than speculation.
Your statement seems to be disapproving. Since the typology of Boaz is not mentioned by the New Testament authors, is speculation prohibited, in your opinion?
The situation with Boaz and Ruth does not seem to parallel Christ and the believing Jews or all believers.
I disagree. Ruth and Naomi were a Jew and a Gentile who came out of the wilderness, bereft and desperately in need of a redeemer. The church is made up of Jews and Gentiles coming out of the world, bereft and desperately in need of the Redeemer. Galatians 4:3-5 and Romans 11:17 Boaz performed a legal transaction which resulted in his marriage to Ruth, and also a redemption for Naomi. Christ loved the Church and gave himself for his Bride. (Okay, Naomi is not quite the bride of Boaz, but she was blessed and Obed was considered her offspring...) Ephesians 5:25

How do you see things differently? How is it that, "the situation with Boaz and Ruth does not seem to parallel Christ and the believing Jews or all believers"?
Is the Boaz-to-Christ comparison just more of people wanting to read more into the Bible than is there, or am I missing something?
I'm not sure I understand the context here. What is the "people wanting to read more into the Bible than is there" that this might be more of?

Thanks,
Michelle

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:03 pm

I also have a question to Steve Gregg about the story of Ruth and the verse-by-verse teaching about it. In your introduction, you spoke sort of disparagingly about Naomi, saying, in effect, that you could not understand Ruth's devotion to her. You said you find her rather unappealing as a character, but you never expounded on that as you went through the story. Do you still dismiss her as a bitter, meddlesome old widow? It was surprising to me because I kind of like Naomi.

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:54 pm

Michelle wrote: Your statement seems to be disapproving. Since the typology of Boaz is not mentioned by the New Testament authors, is speculation prohibited, in your opinion?
Speculation is not prohibited, but should also not be taught as fact in my opinion. The Boaz typology for Christ is written of time and again as a sure thing, but the Bible does not seem to offer such certainty. I admit a degree of cynicism born from coming out of a Pentecostal church background that sought all kinds of "deeper" meaning in the scripture than could be supported.
I disagree. Ruth and Naomi were a Jew and a Gentile who came out of the wilderness, bereft and desperately in need of a redeemer. The church is made up of Jews and Gentiles coming out of the world, bereft and desperately in need of the Redeemer. Galatians 4:3-5 and Romans 11:17 Boaz performed a legal transaction which resulted in his marriage to Ruth, and also a redemption for Naomi. Christ loved the Church and gave himself for his Bride. (Okay, Naomi is not quite the bride of Boaz, but she was blessed and Obed was considered her offspring...) Ephesians 5:25

How do you see things differently? How is it that, "the situation with Boaz and Ruth does not seem to parallel Christ and the believing Jews or all believers"?
I suppose I read the story of Boaz, more as a manipulation or seduction orchestrated by Naomi, beneficial to Ruth, and happily accepted by Boaz who is seems glad for a young wife who could be his daughter's age.

An older man sees an attractive young woman, is pleased when she comes to him (out of a desire for security more than attraction it seems) for marriage, and even seems to somewhat play the nearer relative to get him to hand over his right of redeemership.

I have not considered this topic fully, thus my interest in hearing discussion, so I am not fully ready to come to a decision, I simply struggle to see the typology at this time. I felt that the book of Ruth is present to tell of David's and Christ's lineage, rather than present a type of Christ.

In the absence of scripture to make the typology clear, I see another story in the Old Testament of people acting based upon their own desires, but used by God to bring about the Christ through the unlikely choices man, and especially Jew, would not expect. I don't know as I feel more can be read into the story.

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks, jaydam! I appreciate the caution your approach to scripture.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:47 pm

jaydam wrote:I felt that the book of Ruth is present to tell of David's and Christ's lineage, rather than present a type of Christ.
Hi Jaydam,

I agree, but I would also emphasize "The Gentile" aspect of God's salvation plan as well. Matthew's genealogy list several gentiles in the lineage, Ruth being one of them, to maybe call attention to the inclusiveness of all mankind. After all, the Apostles were astutely reminded of God's promise to the gentiles during the Jerusalem Council found in Acts 15:12-18 with Amos 9:11-12 being applied, as fulfilled in the 1st Century!

God Bless.

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:56 pm

robbyyoung wrote:
jaydam wrote:I felt that the book of Ruth is present to tell of David's and Christ's lineage, rather than present a type of Christ.
Hi Jaydam,

I agree, but I would also emphasize "The Gentile" aspect of God's salvation plan as well. Matthew's genealogy list several gentiles in the lineage, Ruth being one of them, to maybe call attention to the inclusiveness of all mankind. After all, the Apostles were astutely reminded of God's promise to the gentiles during the Jerusalem Council found in Acts 15:12-18 with Amos 9:11-12 being applied, as fulfilled in the 1st Century!

God Bless.
That is my belief, the book is one more time that Gentiles are shown to be included in Christ's lineage. Thus, it teaches God's plan for Gentile inclusion through demonstrating genealogy, not typology.

BTW Robby, I've made the move from partial preterist to full. I am working on compiling my thoughts into what will likely become my thesis for seminary.

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi Jaydam,

Well I pray that your pursuits bring you closer to our risen Lord and Father. I'm sure your FP position is in the minority amongst those attending seminary, therefore I'm always encouraged to see another theologian help explain and validate the belief.

God bless and keep us updated on your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robby Young
U.S. Army Retired

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”