John 20:17

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
Paidion

Re: John 20:17

Post by Paidion » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:21 pm

I don't think Jesus was concerned about the "ceremonial uncleaness" of the ancient Israelites under Mosaic law. The Pharisees were concerned about it. That's why they condemned Him for having meals with tax collectors and prostitutes. Also, Jesus touched a leper prior to healing him (Matt 8:2,3)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:50 am

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Do not touch me because I have not yet ascended.
All of Jesus' bodily appearences to his disciples took place before He ascended. There is no record that He asked anyone else not to touch Him. Indeed, He requested Thomas to place his finger in a wound, and his hand in His wounded side. (John 20:27)

Some try to solve the problem by translating "απτομαι" as "cling to". But that won't do. For the word clearly means "touch" in many other passages. For example in Luke 8:45 where it is recorded that Jesus asked, "Who touched me?" Then Peter and others asked Him, ""Master, the multitudes throng and press You, and You say, ‘Who touched Me?’"

So I think the question in the original post is a good one, and I am not sure that anyone so far has satisfactorily answered that question (although I think Brenden's idea was rather ingenious).
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:25 pm

Jepne wrote:Thanks, Paidion. It's always good to go directly to the scriptures. I love Christianity, it is so direct and simple!

I wish there was a 'like' button on here - I would 'like' all the other input on this thread. Thank you!
Well actually you can post your own like button!

Paidion

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”