Why did God choose words...

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
jaydam

Re: Why did God choose words...

Post by jaydam » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:02 pm

morbo3000 wrote:My belief is that the authors of the Gospels, and letters of the New Testament did not believe they were writing inspired, inerrant, miraculous letters/books. And defending it is as such is an unnecessary burden when trying to share the gospel with post-secular people. They use arguments that there are errors and pull Davinci Code nonsense to insulate themselves from taking Jesus seriously. Your friends are actually doing the same thing. They are being post-modern relativists. They are just Christian ones.
So do you believe the OT is different in inspiration than the NT?

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:14 pm

I would say the same I'm saying about the New Testament. It is our authority about Gods revelation through his people Israel, prior to Jesus.

I am deeply grounded in the psalms as the prayer/worship book of both the Jews and Christians. I believe that the prophets were foretelling the Messiah and kingdom of god, fulfilled in Jesus. I believe that the history of Abraham, moses, David, Israel, et al is the best we can expect for the eras they were written. Archaeology, and contemporary writings seem to support that. Because I don't study that era, I'm not able to say that they were wrong about anything.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

robbyyoung

Post by robbyyoung » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:30 pm

jaydam wrote:
robbyyoung wrote:Hi Jaydam,

Can you give an example of your frustration in scripture?
Well, I'll stick with the justice analogy since I opened that door, and hell is a popular topic.

If I begin to question something that tradition says God does (eternal hell), and I question if it is really meets the meaning of just, then the response is to say something like, "Well, its so far outside our understanding that we can't question it or hope to understand it, but we must accept it." In their response, they seem to take any description of God, and when called on it, they resort to, "It really can't be understood anyway."
Hi Jaydam,

Well brother you would have to first define your terms using scripture, not Websters. For example, take God's justice:

1. How does God define His Justice? Give the scripture reference.
2. If it cannot be found, then it is unknown and beyond our necessity to function and please God.
3. If it is revealed and known, then it's constant against other known and unknown subjects.

Can you locate God's own definition of His justice?

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”