"New" evidence regarding Sabbath & church fathers

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
hiddenshapes

"New" evidence regarding Sabbath & church fathers

Post by hiddenshapes » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:03 pm

I gave my Grandfather (a Seventh Day Adventist) this Justin Martyr quote posted by some one else in this forum;

http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3903

He passed it on to his Pastor to see his response..

His Pastor sent this link to refute the idea that the church fathers didn't believe the Sabbath commandment was relevent to Christians..

http://www.pickle-publishing.com/papers ... -fraud.htm

What are your thoughts?

MMathis

Re: "New" evidence regarding Sabbath & church fathers

Post by MMathis » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:03 pm

First of all, "new evidence" would indicate we have discovered something heretofore unknown.

I grew up in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Some of their doctrine I agree with and some I don't.
I now attend a Lutheran (Missouri Synod) and some of their doctrine is different from the Seventh Day Adventist.

As I've said before. All churches think they are correct and that their doctrine is solid and bulletproof.

But here is the thing. If a church believes in salavtion through grace thru Jesus Christ, then I think the rest is just
a waste of brainpower. Worship on Saturday or Sunday all gets to the Addressee just fine.

I'm sure we will get pages of learned reasons as to why everyone thinks they are right.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

hiddenshapes

Post by hiddenshapes » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:00 am

Hi.. thanks for the response..

I agree with the principle;

"If a church believes in salavtion through grace thru Jesus Chris tthen I think the rest is just
a waste of brainpower. Worship on Saturday or Sunday all gets to the Addressee just fine."

I do believe the SDA denomination believes in salvation through grace.. at least they say they do..

I also agree it is arrogant to assume your denomination has all the right answers.. however they are one denomination that does. They believe they are the 'remnant' church spoken of in Revelation and this excludes all other's out of the Kingdom of God..

and

Regarding the church fathers' quotes..
Is no one else bothered by the way this 'Evidence' is being treated?

Is it at all valid?

MMathis

Post by MMathis » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Yes the SDA do. That's why they say it.

I know of no church that doesn't think they are the true church. Catholics at the top. I had dinner with a Catholic friend and he said he could prove it...it says in....
I stopped him and told him I was pretty sure most religions think they can prove it.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:07 pm

MMathis wrote:I know of no church that doesn't think they are the true church.
You don't think there are any denominations within Christianity that realize that they aren't to be equated with the 'true church'?

I don't think that mindset is common at all in my own denomination. Nor do I imagine it is common in most denominations.

hiddenshapes

Post by hiddenshapes » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:05 pm

They say 'salvation by grace'... however they also say in the near future any Christians not following the Sabbath commandment will receive the mark of the beast and be disqualified as saved.. This is what Ellen White taught... this is what their pastors teach..

I was seduced by these teachings. I came back to faith in Christ listening to preachers like Doug Bachelor and I will be forever grateful for that resource that reached me..

People are allowed to believe as they wish.. however I'm concerned my relatives are being brainwashed by this system.. It is not only unnecessary but it takes focus away from the true light of the gospel..

MMathis

Post by MMathis » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:11 pm

@mattrose

Maybe we are on a different wave length. When you add "true church" into the mix I don't know. What I do know is, that any church leader I ever met thought the doctrine they were teaching to be the correct version.

@hiddenshapes

Sorry you don't like the SDA. I don't belong any longer either. Most other preachers I listen to, agree that the mark of the beast is a bad deal if you take it. I'm not sure any of them have ever consulted the SDA. So, if they don't read SDA brochures, where are they getting that?

The point is that most religions think they have the correct version of the truth and I think you illustrate that well.
Last edited by MMathis on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MMathis
Las Vegas NV

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:20 pm

any church leader I ever met thought the doctrine they were teaching to be the correct version
We would hope so. Heard of an interview of a pastor candidate who, when asked his position on the doctrine of "eternal security", replied "I can teach it either way".

Ambidextrous. Or something.

hiddenshapes

Post by hiddenshapes » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:52 am

Thats a great attitude.. ambidextrous teaching on non-essential doctrines..

It reminds me of a certain radio host :)

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:52 am

Thats a great attitude.. ambidextrous teaching on non-essential doctrines..
But what if they are ambidextrous on essential doctrines - or are there any? In certain circles "eternal security" is the heart of the gospel.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”