Did Christ REALLY make a big sacrifice?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
steve7150

Re: Did Christ REALLY make a big sacrifice?

Post by steve7150 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:24 am

I'm just guessing but i think the spiritual separation from his Father "why have you forsaken me" was the greatest pain and fear he had even though he probably knew it was temporary from Psalm 22 and from faith.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm convinced, Steve, that the Father didn't forsake Him. But being a true human being He felt forsaken as He suffered and knew He wasn't going to be delivered from death. Notwithstanding, Steve, I think you are right in that this sense of being forsaken by His Father was the source of His greatest pain and fear.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

DanielGracely

Post by DanielGracely » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:13 pm

First, Paul tells us that while one might perchance die for a good man, only God committed his love toward us as sinners, even committing Christ to die for us. So, no, it wasn't a big sacrifice. It was the BIGGEST sacrificie!

Second, None of the persons of the Godhead follow a ‘Give to Get’ philosophy. The Son did not really even want to come, but submitted Himself to the Father’s plan. “I came not on my own,” He said. Does that sound like someone who's following a ‘Give to Get’ philosophy? Also, after the Last Supper Christ asks his Father to glorify Him so that He (the Son) might glorify the Father. Thus Christ wasn’t motivated by knowing his Father would glorify Him.

Moreover, the Father‘s motivation in sending his Son was so that the Son be glorified. And even the Spirit, we are told, when He would come, would not speak of Himself but of Christ. Such attitudes demonstrate selfLESSness, not selfISHness.

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:13 pm

I think darrin got it right with his hand over a flame analogy. I as a Christian am not afraid to die, but I am not looking forward to dying. I pray it will be quick and painless, even though I know whatever the pain, it will be temporary and will end with me seeing Jesus. I also think Jesus didn't really know what would come of His death, how it would play out. Remember He asked the Father to "take this cup from me, but not My will, but Yours be done." He didn't want to go through it but was willing to.

Would the effects have been any different if He hadn't suffered from it? If they'd nailed His hands and feet and Jesus hasn't felt any pain? Just stayed still, not made any noise or showed any emotion at all?

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:58 am

I don't see the cross as the sole source of his sacrifice. It was the climax, and probably an example of the worst type of ending that you could think of (pain plus injustice, etc.). But, the sacrifice began with having to take on human form to begin with. One of the only clear passages we have on the topic talks about him voluntarily emptying himself of his previous advantage to condescend to live on earth as a man. That's a pretty big sacrifice, even if you end up eating well all of your life and being run over by a chariot. I think he made the ultimate sacrifice by having to become one of us, the cross also being a humiliating punch line to it all.

Doug

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”