Paul's thorn wasn't sickness.

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
Aaron

Re: Paul's thorn wasn't sickness.

Post by Aaron » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:01 am

mattrose wrote: If we can still feel the negative effects of other people's sinfulness... why not Adam's sinfulness which brought sickness into the world?
We do feel the negative effects of Adam's sinfulness - but we have power to overcome those effects because we are no longer Adam's seed but Jesus' seed.
What's more, I doubt food poisening feels distinctly different just because in one case you had a bad burger and in another case an enemy purposefully put something in your drink.
Very true - you'll get equally sick in both cases. I'm not saying we are immune to sickness, I'm saying we have been given the treasure that overcomes sickness, no matter what the source. However, as I responded in another post, we can rebuke Satan, but we can't rebuke someone who throws us in jail. We have authority over Satan, not over people.
The cross/atonement DOES cover physical sicknesses, but there is no promise that its affects in that area are immediate. Indeed, there is every reason to believe t hey are not. The resurrection is our physical hope. The cross is our spiritual hope.
Yet, Jesus demonstrated immediate deliverance from the bondage of sickness. The resurrection was Adam's hope too - even before he sinned. The resurrection will result in a new type of body that Adam would have died for (literally/figuratively). The resurrection doesn't return us to a state Adam enjoyed before he sinned - that's not the hope of resurrection. It is a progression to something better where sickness can't occur in the first place - to a state of complete wholeness we can't even imagine. Thus, the resurrection does not discount the notion that the cross can presently restore us to a level of physical well-being that Adam enjoyed before he sinned.
[url]http://spiritualseeds.weebly.com[/url]

steve

Post by steve » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:34 am

I am not sure why anyone would object to the use of the English "infirmities," and favor, in its place, the English word "weaknesses", since they are synonyms. Infirm means "not firm" ("firm" means "strong"). If one is not strong, that is the same as being weak. Therefore, "infirmities" and "weaknesses" would be equally acceptable translations, since their meanings are the same. Paul did say that his "infirmity" (or "weakness") was "in the flesh", which certainly favors the idea of physical, rather than other kinds of weakness. I agree with Rich that Paul sees the source of the trouble as demonic. I tend to think that this demonic attack, like many in the gospels, took the form of physical ailment. In at least one known case, a demon was the mediate cause of impaired vision—Matt.12:22).

It seems strange to argue against the use of "infirmity" to mean sickness in 2 Corinthians 12, when those who make this argument insist on the same word meaning physical sicknesses, in Matthew 8:17. Convenience, I suppose. I have never cared to prove that Paul did or did not have a physical illness, because I have no doctrinal preference about it to defend. Whether he was sick or not, we know well enough that he had plenty of mature and spiritual friends who undoubtedly were (e.g., 1 Tim.5:23 / 2 Tim.4:20 / Phil.2:25-27), so it would not seem strange for Paul to similarly experience sickness. The only reasons I have for my conclusions about Paul's "thorn" are exegetical—not idealogical. I do not have the impression that the same applies to those who deny this thesis.

I agree with Matt that persecution and sickness are equally results of the fall, and that there is nothing about the one that would be any more or less desirable to eliminate than the other. Of course, people living where there has never been any significant persecution have the luxury of only fearing sickness, and thinking that God's goodness would certainly have removed this danger at the cross, without requiring that the other (which has never touched our lives) be removed as well. I think those who have been fed to lions would have preferred for such things to have been eliminated in the atonement, more than the common cold.

It is also hard for me to follow the logic of saying that sickness would not as quickly reduce a man to humility as would persecution or other forms of suffering. How is it that one constant reminder of one's own mortality and helplessness would serve any better than another to keep a man humble? I believe that, if the theoreticians were to experience real physical affliction sometime, they would have no difficulty discovering its ability to humble.

It also seems strange to say that Paul would have preached in Galatia "because of" a physical beating he had received in Lystra, but that it would not be equally likely that he had done so "because of" sickness, or a physical disability. How does one of these options fit his terminology better than the other?

There are many assumptions being made in the original post's thesis, which I am not able to find in scripture. One of them is that which Homer also challenged. Where in scripture do we learn that Jesus never experienced sickness Himself? He was tested in all ways like as we are. Is the testing of sickness somehow in a different category from other kinds of testing that are common to men?

Also to say that sickness is the result of the fall may be true, though we could not demonstrate this, as far as I know, from scripture. Even if we acknowledge that sickness probably would not have existed without the fall, it does not follow that it is necessarily an evil result. For all we know, it could be a corrective and disciplinary necessity, which God Himself introduced (like pain in childbirth, and laborious cultivation of the soil), which would not have been needed (as corrective spankings for children would not be needed) where no misstep has occurred.

I find no evidence in scripture, nor in history, that God has done anything yet to eliminate sickness from the earth. Perhaps it still serves a good purpose.

So why did Jesus and the apostles heal?

I would say that the purpose of Jesus' physical healings of sickness (and those performed by others later) was not that He would at that time bring a permanent end to sickness among those whom he healed. They may well have experienced additional sicknesses subsequently, just as Lazarus experienced another death, subsequent to his being raised. The permanent and final elimination of sickness and physical death do not seem to have been on Christ's immediate agenda. If they were, His mission certainly failed to accomplish His goals! Godly men and women of faith have gotten sick and died, as an unbroken trend, without interruption, for the past 2000 years. This has not only been the case among those whose faith is weak (and many who have, in fact, been healed have been people with little or no faith that it would happen).

According to His own statements, Jesus' healings were intended to graphically demonstrate spiritual lessons pertaining to the kingdom of God. Thus, the cure of a paralyzed man was done in order "that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins" (Matt.9:6). His healing of every diseased person in Capernaum is said to illustrate that Jesus is the Servant of Isaiah 53, of whom it is said, "With His stripes we are healed"—that is, "relationally healed" as in "reconciled to God" (see Matt.8:17; Isa.53:4-5 and 1 Pet.2:24-25).

Likewise, in John's Gospel, the healing of a blind man, the raising of Lazarus, the turning of water to wine, the feeding of the multitude, etc. were illustrations of the fact that Jesus is the Light of the World, the Resurrection and the Life, the True Vine, and the Bread of Life, etc. Miracles in the physical realm mirrored realities in the spiritual. Christ's specific acts of healing, in fact, were events as individual and unique as were the other miracles. Perhaps they may be duplicated, whenever He sees fit, but no one believes that Christians can regularly turn water into wine or walk on water. Jesus did not turn water into wine in order to demonstrate that the age of water was now ended by His atonement and only wine should now be drunk. So why would His healing of a blind man suggest that His ministry was intending to end all visual impairments (which God Himself is claimed to have caused— Ex.4:11)?

So, if God is not intolerant of sickness, why will there be "no more sickness" in the perfect world?

Perhaps it will serve no further purpose there, just as corrective shoes on a baby are no longer needed when the feet have grown straight. In any case, we are told, in the same place that, not only will there be no sickness, but also no pain, sorrow or death. Is anyone prepared to argue, then, that there is no longer any place for these things in the experience of Christians, during their mortal lives?

I do not really care whether the thorn in Paul's flesh was an eye ailment, a persecutor, a demon, or a stubborn habit. I am not concerned with the outcome of the inquiry—only that sound arguments be used in its pursuit.

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Aaron wrote:I agree that I don't think Paul was disheartened by the physical pain he endured - but I can see him being frustrated if the beatings and imprisonments hindered Paul's progress in preaching the gospel. I'm sure he would much rather be out amongst the Christians then chained up.

I don't want this to sound like an oversimplistic solution to some of the demonic suffering you endured - but I think Paul would be humbled/frustrated by the persecutions of men (inspired by a demon) then by a personal demonic attack. For one, as a believer, Paul had authority over demons in Christ. He had the power to resist demonic attacks and send them fleeing. On the other hand, we don't have the same authority over people. We can't command persecutions to cease and send our persecutor fleeing. People are not spiritually subject to us.
As I've been thinking a little more about this... I'm finding a logical obstacle to your presentation. Paul said that he prayed three times for this buffeting 'messenger of Satan' to depart from him. If Paul was merely attributing this messenger to all the persecutions he endured... why would he have prayed for God to have the messenger depart from him? It seemed to be something that was very close to Paul. I believe it is something he must have carried around wherever he went. I believe it was a demon harassing him, but a sickness could also fit this category.

Also, if Paul asked God to have all of his persecutors stop hindering him from preaching the gospel, why would Paul pray at all? Paul surely believed in the free will of mankind, and that God would not violate evil men's free will. How could God have answered his prayer if it was merely the persecutions he was enduring? How could persecution stop if Paul prayed for it three times? Paul seemed to have known that persecutions would await him everywhere he went. The Holy Spirit actually told him this (Acts 20:22-23). Why would he pray for the opposite of what the Holy Spirit revealed to him?

I agree that Paul had authority over demons. He also had authority over many sicknesses as well. He was a very gifted man. Don't you think it would be humbling if God purposefully took away his giftings in this area when it was in regard to his own problems? Perhaps God allowed demons to harass Paul, without giving him the power or gifting to overcome them. This surely would be humbling to a man who almost at the snap of his fingers could heal and deliver people from demons. It would teach him that he was nothing, and that he was who he was by the grace of God only. Whether it was a demon or a sickness, I do not know for sure... and like Steve said, it's not a doctrinal hill to die on. But I do not think your logic makes complete sense based upon what I have just mentioned.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:04 am

Aaron, it is indeed odd to affirm that ασθενεια always means "weakness" and that "ασθενεω" always means "to be weak". In the following passages, I translated these words as "weakness" and "weak". Do you think they make sense in these contexts with those meanings? Or do you think they could refer to some physical ailment or sickness?

Luke 5:15 However, the report went around concerning him all the more; and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by him of their weaknesses.

Luke 13:11 ...and behold, there was a woman who had a spirit of weakness for eighteen years, and was bent over and could in no way raise herself up.

John 11:1-4 Now a certain man was weak, Lazarus of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. It was that Mary who anointed the Lord with fragrant oil and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was weak. Therefore the sisters sent to him, saying, "Lord, behold, he whom you love is weak." When Jesus heard that, he said, "This weakness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the son of God may be glorified through it."

My opinion is that Paul's "thorn in the flesh" was impaired vision. Well, come to think of it, I suppose one could say that Paul had "weak eyes." :lol:
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:51 am

RICHinCHRIST wrote: I agree that Paul had authority over demons. He also had authority over many sicknesses as well. He was a very gifted man. Don't you think it would be humbling if God purposefully took away his giftings in this area when it was in regard to his own problems? Perhaps God allowed demons to harass Paul, without giving him the power or gifting to overcome them. This surely would be humbling to a man who almost at the snap of his fingers could heal and deliver people from demons. It would teach him that he was nothing, and that he was who he was by the grace of God only. Whether it was a demon or a sickness, I do not know for sure... and like Steve said, it's not a doctrinal hill to die on. But I do not think your logic makes complete sense based upon what I have just mentioned.
You have made some very valid points. No doubt the harrasment/opposition was demonically influenced - whether it was directly from a demon or people under the influence of demons. There isn't enough information in the text.

I don't think it is unreasonable for Paul to pray for the removal of someone who was demonically influenced. We can pray for circumstances that involve other people's free will. In Col. 4:3 Paul asked for prayers for open doors to preach the gospel - certainly these open doors must have involved people in charge of things.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:59 am

Paidion wrote:Aaron, it is indeed odd to affirm that ασθενεια always means "weakness" and that "ασθενεω" always means "to be weak". In the following passages, I translated these words as "weakness" and "weak". Do you think they make sense in these contexts with those meanings? Or do you think they could refer to some physical ailment or sickness?
I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I don't think ασθενεια always means "weakness." The word is translated in various ways. I think context informs it. For some reason, NKJV and KJV go back and forth between weakness and infirmity in the passage in question - in the same verse they translate one incidence as weakness and one as infirmity.

Again, I don't think it is impossible for a faith-filled Christian to become sick, just as it is not impossible for a faith-filled Christian to be tempted.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:36 am

I am not sure why anyone would object to the use of the English "infirmities," and favor, in its place, the English word "weaknesses", since they are synonyms. Infirm means "not firm" ("firm" means "strong"). If one is not strong, that is the same as being weak. Therefore, "infirmities" and "weaknesses" would be equally acceptable translations, since their meanings are the same.
I wouldn't appeal to how we break down our English words in order to make your point. (Admittedly, I don't know how the Greek equivalents break down either - but even that isn't always a trustworthy way of determining truth.)

The words are certainly not synonyms in the way they are translated in the Bible.

Luke 5:15 "and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by Him of their infirmities (astheneia)."
Romans 8:26 "Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses (astheneia). For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

Surely you recognize that the sicknesses in Luke are in a different category then the human limitations in Romans. There is a difference between having a virus and having a limitation where you don't always know what to do or have the ability to do it. Having limitations that Christ fills is what the Christian life is all about. Our righteous attempts are like filthy rags. Christ's righteousness fills us up. Human limitations will follow us into the new creation - unlike sickness - which should give some hints as to their purpose. In heaven we will not be self sufficient - we will still rely on God. That's why Paul said he would boast in his weakness - because his inability was a doorway for God's ability.
Paul did say that his "infirmity" (or "weakness") was "in the flesh", which certainly favors the idea of physical, rather than other kinds of weakness.
I read that "thorn in the flesh" is a Hebraic idiom stemming back to the pagan nations surrounding Israel and their ungodly influence. "Therefore I also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side,[a] and their gods shall be a snare to you.’” (Judges 2:3)

I think you are taking this idiom too literally if you think "thorn in the flesh" literally means the thorn (sickness) is in his flesh.
It seems strange to argue against the use of "infirmity" to mean sickness in 2 Corinthians 12, when those who make this argument insist on the same word meaning physical sicknesses, in Matthew 8:17. Convenience, I suppose.
Context informs meaning - that's the basis of translating. Many Greek words have more than one meaning - some of which are not closely related.
I agree with Matt that persecution and sickness are equally results of the fall, and that there is nothing about the one that would be any more or less desirable to eliminate than the other.
Certainly both are unpleasant - but at their most basic level, I hope you see the distinction between being free in your own person from the affects of the fall since you are a new creation - and the inability to completely escape the world and the evil will of unregenerate men while we are still living in it. We will face tribulations because we are in the middle of a war zone of evil - but we don't have to have that evil working within us.
It is also hard for me to follow the logic of saying that sickness would not as quickly reduce a man to humility as would persecution or other forms of suffering. How is it that one constant reminder of one's own mortality and helplessness would serve any better than another to keep a man humble?
Paul knew he would expire - he knew his life wouldn't go on forever - and he was not shaken by this. He said "to die is gain." He was eager to depart and go to see God. I don't think Paul's mortality bothered him one bit - just as I don't think a sickness would have bothered him very much either. Despite Paul's eagerness to be with the Lord, he knew that his work on earth was very important. With this in mind, I can see him becoming very frustrated if the one thing on earth he was focused on was being hindered.
It also seems strange to say that Paul would have preached in Galatia "because of" a physical beating he had received in Lystra, but that it would not be equally likely that he had done so "because of" sickness, or a physical disability. How does one of these options fit his terminology better than the other?
Perhaps I didn't make my position clear enough. I don't think the "because of" translation works in either case. The root word dia can also be translated "through" - which makes more sense in this case. Paul ministered "through" or "with" physical pains.
There are many assumptions being made in the original post's thesis, which I am not able to find in scripture. One of them is that which Homer also challenged. Where in scripture do we learn that Jesus never experienced sickness Himself? He was tested in all ways like as we are. Is the testing of sickness somehow in a different category from other kinds of testing that are common to men?
That's if you assume sickness is a testing that God places on new covenant believers. The Bible specifically mentions temptations as the type of testing Jesus went through. Jesus could sympathize with our weaknesses because he too had limitations - just like Adam did before the fall, just like we still do after the cross. Jesus didn't go around doing miracles in his own fleshly abilities - he did it through the power of the Holy Spirit.

If testing is supposed to bring maturity and completion to our faith here on earth, what sort of testing is it that takes people out of the earth? A person won't have the opportunity to apply the lessons they've learned from a terminal cancer if they die in 3 months.

At the least, it might be helpful to lay out what sicknesses you think are the ones God would use to test us and which ones are just demonic and oppressive. Even if we believe sickness can be a test from God, we ought to try and discern the difference. And if it is a test - as it was with Job - the example is that the testing ends and Job is healed. If sickness is a testing for our betterment - why does anyone go to a doctor, or take medicine to relieve the pain?

I'm sure you don't believe every sickness is a test from God - but only certain sicknesses, and only sometimes. Even if that is the case, do you agree that we should address all sickness as if it was a plot of the enemy to harm us and come against it with the same mindset and authority that Jesus had when he was healing the sick?
I find no evidence in scripture, nor in history, that God has done anything yet to eliminate sickness from the earth. Perhaps it still serves a good purpose.
In order to completely eliminate sickness, He'd have to eliminate all sick agents - destroy all demons and create a new world without any contagions. That is his plan, but until he does that - sickness is a possible threat, just as sin is. God hasn't eliminated sin from the earth - and not because it serves a good purpose - it just requires a new creation to completely remove. But, God has eliminated the effects of sin from the believer.
According to His own statements, Jesus' healings were intended to graphically demonstrate spiritual lessons pertaining to the kingdom of God. Thus, the cure of a paralyzed man was done in order "that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins" (Matt.9:6). His healing of every diseased person in Capernaum is said to illustrate that Jesus is the Servant of Isaiah 53.
I agree with the double purpose of some of Jesus' miracles - but people weren't simply sermon illustrations to Jesus.

Matthew 14:14 "And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick."
Jesus healed people simply because he loved them - not always because we wanted to prove a point or teach a lesson. Out of compassion, Jesus healed sickness. I can't get away from this illustration of Jesus' attitude toward sickness. His desire was to remove what was causing needless suffering. On the other hand, Jesus said his disciples would face tribulations in the world. He didn't tell these people their sickness was unavoidable like he told his disciples tribulations were unavoidable.
So why would His healing of a blind man suggest that His ministry was intending to end all visual impairments (which God Himself is claimed to have caused— Ex.4:11)?

I don't think Ex. 4:11 is written to suggest that all cases of blind or deaf people are caused by God. Certainly the Bible shows these same conditions were brought by demons. Jesus rebuked the deaf and mute spirits. If he was rebuking God, he would be providing an example of a kingdom divided against itself. I don't deny that Ex. 4:11 is a challenging passage - but if we look for examples, we see that God made Paul temporarily blind and Zechariah temporarily mute. There was some judgement involved in these cases. Whether or not these temporary conditions served any great purpose, we know they were removed. So, if these inform our understanding of God's character and purposes, God would have them be temporary and removed.

In Moses case, I think God was informing him that He made the mouth - that He can turn it on and turn if off if He chooses.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:50 pm

Aaron wrote:Perhaps I didn't make my position clear enough. I don't think the "because of" translation works in either case. The root word dia can also be translated "through" - which makes more sense in this case. Paul ministered "through" or "with" physical pains.
The preposition "δια" means "through" with the genitive case, and "because of" with the accusative case. In this instance the word "ασθενειαν" which follows it is in the accusative case. Thus in this sentence "δια" means "because of".
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi Aaron,

I have considered your last post, and have some point to which I wish to respond:

The words ["infirmities" and "weaknesses"] are certainly not synonyms in the way they are translated in the Bible.
Your discussion of the words “infirmity” and “weakness” misses my point. I am not arguing for the use of one of these English words or the other in any given verse. I am saying the words are interchangeable in the English language. Perhaps, in your thinking, "infirmity" has more the meaning of "sickness" than does the word "weakness," but that is not necessarily the case. It doesn’t matter which English synonym is used. Infirmity means weakness, and vice versa. This is not an opinion but a lexical fact. Of course, this does not mean that they cannot be used to describe more than one kind of weakness—physical, spiritual, moral, etc. (which seems to be your point).
Human limitations will follow us into the new creation - unlike sickness - which should give some hints as to their purpose.
I do not think astheneia is correctly translated “human limitations.” We both agree that “weakness” is a good translation, so we had best stick with this word in our dialogue. Now, the resurrected bodies will have neither “pains” nor “weaknesses” (Rev.21:4 /1 Cor.15:43). I agree that they will have some "limitations", but that has nothing to do with our subject or the Greek word under consideration.
I read that "thorn in the flesh" is a Hebraic idiom stemming back to the pagan nations surrounding Israel and their ungodly influence. "Therefore I also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side,[a] and their gods shall be a snare to you.’” (Judges 2:3)
Are you saying that Paul's "thorn" was that he was being led into apostasy by the influence of some ungodly person? If so, then I guess I could see the connection to the Old Testament expression, which meant just that.

I am aware of the Old Testament idiom "thorns in your side." It is clear, and perhaps significant, that Paul never used this expression (though he could easily have done so, had he wished to). I do not think Paul had this Old Testament text in mind. If he had, he probably would have used the same idiom as that found in the text to indicate that he was speaking of a similar thing. Instead, he used a different idiom, which is nowhere found in the Old Testament. I think it was original with him.

Some might say: “A thorn in the side and a thorn in the flesh are similar phrases.”

To this, a reasonable response would be: “The expressions are different—and unnecessarily so, if Paul intended to quote or duplicate the Old Testament idea. The word ‘flesh’ has a much wider range of meaning, in scripture, than does the word ‘side,’ so that the expressions are in no sense synonyms" (The expression "thorns in your side" actually is not found in the Hebrew text of Judges 2:3, but is found in Numbers 33:55).

As I said earlier, I have nothing at stake here, since we would not need for Paul to be sick in order to make the otherwise well-established point, from scripture and experience, that believers are often sick. It is the Word of Faith folks that are arguing counterintuitively against the seeming meanings of verses, and desperately trying to expunge any evidence that Paul might have been sick. They may continue their attempt, but no one can convince me that they are conducting disinterested exegesis. Exegesis with an agenda is easy to spot.
We will face tribulations because we are in the middle of a war zone of evil - but we don't have to have that evil working within us.

You refer to persecution and other environmental sufferings as being understandable and inevitable because of our being in a war zone. You allow this, apparently, because these things are external to us. Then you suggest that sickness is “evil working within us.” Doesn't this seem, to you, like you are making a category error?

Sickness is not "evil" working within us. Lust, greed, pride, hatred, ingratitude, disloyalty, etc. are evil working within us (and remain within us, apparently, until death). These are the evils in us that we would anticipate the Gospel addressing. But sickness?

Sickness is not "in me" in the same sense that evil is "in me." The latter inheres in my heart, whereas sickness is only "in me" in the same sense that my last meal is "in me"—and does not defile me. Sickness is no more an "evil" in me than is torture at the hands of man. Both are "afflictions," or "trials," to be endured, and have nothing to do with evil in the sufferer. If sickness were an evil in me, then being sick would be something for which I should repent. The fact that the one who suffers illness and the one who suffers persecution may be equally innocent and righteous before God means that neither condition is to be objected to by the Christian more than the other.
Paul knew he would expire - he knew his life wouldn't go on forever - and he was not shaken by this. He said "to die is gain." He was eager to depart and go to see God. I don't think Paul's mortality bothered him one bit - just as I don't think a sickness would have bothered him very much either.
There is a non-sequitur here: Paul did not object to dying, so he would not object to being sick either. Really? Then, it seems, he would have no reason to object to torture or the mortal danger posed by persecution either. This does not follow.

I, too, am not afraid to die. I actually long for it. However, physical pain is a real drag—and no more or less so whether inflicted by an inquisitor or by a bacterium.
Despite Paul's eagerness to be with the Lord, he knew that his work on earth was very important. With this in mind, I can see him becoming very frustrated if the one thing on earth he was focused on was being hindered.
True, but not any more relevant to the subject of persecution than of sickness.
Paul ministered "through" or "with" physical pains.
You allow that Paul was afflicted with physical pains. Yet, one of the key verses that is used to prove healing in the atonement is Isaiah 53:4, which, in Young’s Literal Translation (and the NASB footnote)—

“Surely our sicknesses he hath borne,
And our pains -- he hath carried them.”

If this is describing the effects of the atonement, then it seems that not only sicknesses, but also “pains” should have been eliminated (Of course, according to Matthew 8:17, this is not talking about the atonement, but about Jesus’ earthly healing ministry).

Why would one kind of physical pain be protected, and one abolished, in the atonement? Is there anything about sickness that is more hurtful, more a result of the fall, or more worthy of instant abolition than there is about persecution? Why is this distinction being made? Pain is pain, and suffering is suffering.
If testing is supposed to bring maturity and completion to our faith here on earth, what sort of testing is it that takes people out of the earth? A person won't have the opportunity to apply the lessons they've learned from a terminal cancer if they die in 3 months.
Likewise, James did not have time to learn, after he was beheaded, what lessons might have been learned through such an experience. It is true of all affliction—whether sickness or persecution—that there will eventually be one test that will be the final one. After finals, the studies are completed.

What we are being tested about is whether our faith and loyalty to God will endure adverse circumstances. The person who dies of cancer, and has remained faithful unto death, has passed with flying colors (Rev.2:10; 12:11)!
At the least, it might be helpful to lay out what sicknesses you think are the ones God would use to test us and which ones are just demonic and oppressive. Even if we believe sickness can be a test from God, we ought to try and discern the difference.
There is not one kind of sickness that is demonic, and another that is organic, and yet another that is divinely-imposed. Any sickness might fall into any of these categories. Boils were inflicted upon Job by Satan, but upon Egypt by God. Similarly, the blind condition of men whom Jesus healed was sometimes caused by demons and sometimes not. On some occasions, God Himself has struck men blind (Gen.19:11; 2 Kings 6:18; Acts 13:11), or withered their limbs (Gen.32:25 / 1 Kings 13:4).

In our sickness, the important question we need to resolve is not that of identifying its immediate source (Job never figured out the respective roles of God and the devil in his afflictions), but by what response we can best glorify God through it? Every affliction tests us—regardless of its immediate source—and has potential to improve us. Our response to any sickness will determine whether we are ultimately improved by it or not.
If sickness is a testing for our betterment - why does anyone go to a doctor, or take medicine to relieve the pain?

We might as reasonably ask, “If persecution is a refining experience for believers (1 Peter 1:7), why would Paul appeal to Caesar in order to escape further persecution from the Jews?”

What seems to be lacking among Christians is a scripturally-nuanced theology of suffering, its purposes and its causes. If one wishes to understand one of the key elements in God’s governance of the fallen world, then the phenomenon of suffering presents one of the most urgent subjects to master. It is also one of the most-discussed in scripture.

Your question is not about sickness, but about suffering. Why should we do anything to prevent or remedy human suffering, if it is a test to be endured? One part of a very complex answer is certainly the fact that the suffering of one person, which can be remedied by the intervention of another, is also a test of that second person. Will he act in compassion?

Free will being what it is, there is always the possibility that those who should relieve the suffering of others may fail to step-up to this responsibility, in which case, the suffering continues longer than it otherwise would have. Yet, the believer does not look to man, but to God, for succor.

Every sufferer anticipates an end to his suffering, and God eventually brings about the end—sometimes through temporal relief, and sometimes through death. Paul longed for relief through the latter (Phil.1:21-23), though he often intervened to bring relief in the former manner to others. God chooses, and the believer trusts Him to do so. However, the believer knows that God might bring relief through intervention of others—police, surgeons, the Marines, etc.—and does not refuse such interventions, but sees in them the hand of God bringing relief.

All suffering is potentially redemptive to the believer (see Rom.8:28), but all suffering is also temporal for the believer—and the believer eagerly awaits the end of the ordeal. It is not inconsistent for one to use medicines when sick (Matt.9:12), and yet to be resigned to suffer patiently what cannot be cured in that way.

If a man finds himself standing in a fire, it is wise for him to step out of it, if he can. On the other hand, if he finds himself tied to a stake in the midst of the fire, he might well accept his fate as from God. Sufferings that can be remedied should be. However, not all of them can be, by human endeavor. Those who suffer these things must leave their case in the hand of God, and someday say, “It is good for me that I have been afflicted” (Ps.119:71).

One thing that cannot, on the basis of either scripture nor reason, be done, is to separate organic sickness into a category separate from other kinds of suffering, and say that Jesus ended one kind, but not another. James said to count it all joy when experiencing various “trials” (James 1:2). The same word “trial” is used of Paul’s physical condition from which his friends would have delivered him (had they been able) by donating their own eyes (Gal.4:14 and context). Your suggestion that his problem was that his eyes were swollen shut from a beating is just possible, but not particularly likely. Even if true, why would the impairment of vision from a beating (swelling is an inflammation—a “sickness) be in a category different from the same symptoms caused by a viral infection?
I'm sure you don't believe every sickness is a test from God - but only certain sicknesses, and only sometimes. Even if that is the case, do you agree that we should address all sickness as if it was a plot of the enemy to harm us and come against it with the same mindset and authority that Jesus had when he was healing the sick?
I think all suffering, for the believer, is a test from God. Many times God uses Satan and/or microbes, injury, etc., as the means of bringing the test, but no trial in the life of the believer is meaningless, as it would be if it did not serve either to improve or prove the faith of the sufferer.

How should we approach sickness? We should fight it as effectively as possible, just as we would intervene to stop a criminal attack, if possible. This fight can include both human interventions and divine interventions (i.e., prayer).

However, it is not taught in scripture that we will see as great success in our efforts to heal as Jesus did. Even the apostles were not as successful as He was (2 Tim.4:20).
In order to completely eliminate sickness, He'd have to eliminate all sick agents - destroy all demons and create a new world without any contagions. That is his plan, but until he does that - sickness is a possible threat, just as sin is. God hasn't eliminated sin from the earth - and not because it serves a good purpose - it just requires a new creation to completely remove. But, God has eliminated the effects of sin from the believer.
I would like to see scripture in support of some of these propositions. Particularly:

1. That God tolerates sickness (without good purpose) just because it would require a new creation to remove it all. Does this mean that, if God wished to do so, He would not be able to kill every germ on the planet, and incarcerate every demon—even prior to creating the New Heavens and New Earth? Since God can wipe out whole populations of people at will (e.g., Sodom and Gomorrah), how is it that germs could resist His determination to destroy them all, if He wished to do so (Only cockroaches could do that!)?

If God could, in fact, eliminate sickness, but does not do so, then we are left with only two possibilities: 1) He has a good reason for allowing sickness to continue, or 2) He has no good reason for allowing it, but is powerless to get rid of it. I hold the first view, and you hold the second. Logically, one other alternative theory would be that He is malevolent, and allows sickness for evil purposes—but neither of us would go that far.

The God revealed in scripture is neither powerless nor purposeless. My God can in fact heal sickness—all sickness—at will. He also can make His children immune to sickness, allow them to escape persecutors, preserve them unharmed in the midst of a hurricane, etc. When He chooses not to intervene with such deliverances, it is not because He lacks power. In such cases, His children are expected to trust His wisdom and goodness, just as a child must do when his father’s loving choices bring hardship or pain upon the child.

Do you see where your beliefs bring you? By saying that God has no good purpose in sickness (though you allow that He may have good purposes in other—even more torturous—sufferings, so long as they come from evil people, not germs), you have created an artificial limitation upon God. He would like to destroy all sickness (since He can find no good purpose in its existence), but He is helpless to do so!

If we were to say, “God would like to end persecution, but cannot do so prior to judging the whole world,” we might have a scriptural case, since persecution springs from man’s free will, which God might have a policy against thwarting prematurely. But sickness, in most cases, is not produced by human free will or agency, and would not seem to have any innate claim on special amnesty against being annihilated by God at His pleasure.

A theological supposition that requires secondary and tertiary theories as outrageous as these to prop it up, ought to cause those promoting that thesis to take a second look.

2. I would also like to see the scripture that supports the point, very central to your argument above, that “God has eliminated the effects of sin from the believer.” Is this written somewhere? Is there no lasting effect of sin which has not yet been eliminated—like, say, “death”?
I agree with the double purpose of some of Jesus' miracles - but people weren't simply sermon illustrations to Jesus....Jesus healed people simply because he loved them - not always because we wanted to prove a point or teach a lesson. Out of compassion, Jesus healed sickness.

This may be true (though the phrase "simply because" may be unduly reductionistic), but did He not love the sick people in India? How about those in Africa? Why didn't everybody get healed? God can heal at will. The compassion demonstrated in Christ's healings was definitely an aspect of God’s character that was illustrated in them, but it must not have been God's intention to heal ALL the sick permanently, or else He would certainly have done it.

To say (as some inadvisedly do) that God cannot heal where there is inadequate faith is neither scriptural, nor true to life. I have known a number of people who were healed (even of terminal cancer, in one case close to me) without their expecting to be healed at all. Their faith had nothing to do with it. God heals when He wants to. He apparently does not heal when there is good reason not to. It is that simple.
I can't get away from this illustration of Jesus' attitude toward sickness. His desire was to remove what was causing needless suffering.
Right. No doubt the people whom Jesus healed were experiencing needless suffering—that is, suffering that served no purpose other than providing an opportunity to show His power and compassion in healing them. So, it would follow that those whom Christ did not heal must not have been suffering needlessly. As Peter wrote: “If need be, you are in various trials” (1 Peter 1:7).
On the other hand, Jesus said his disciples would face tribulations in the world. He didn't tell these people their sickness was unavoidable like he told his disciples tribulations were unavoidable.
In arriving at a biblical theology of suffering, it is not my policy to place too much weight on what is not recorded—i.e., any record of Jesus making particular statements to sufferers. Too much of what Jesus said and did is left unrecorded (in a ministry of over three years, we have samples from only 39 days!). The really significant thing that Jesus did not say was that the word “tribulations” does not include sicknesses. On what basis would we exclude so common a form of human suffering from that generic category?
I don't deny that Ex. 4:11 is a challenging passage - but if we look for examples, we see that God made Paul temporarily blind and Zechariah temporarily mute. There was some judgement involved in these cases. Whether or not these temporary conditions served any great purpose, we know they were removed. So, if these inform our understanding of God's character and purposes, God would have them be temporary and removed.
We agree, at least, on this point: that sufferings are temporary and will end. This is true, both of sickness and of all other forms of suffering.

We have examples, in scripture, of God removing the suffering of sicknesses by miraculous interventions, but also of His allowing the man of faith to die sick (2 Kings 13:14).

Similarly, we have cases, in scripture, of God delivering His people miraculously from death at the hands of persecutors, but also of His allowing faithful men to die at the hands of persecutors.

So what is the difference? In either case, the sufferings have an end. “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but [whether in life or by death] the Lord delivers him out of them all” (Psalm 34:19).

Homer

Post by Homer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Aaron,

You have written:
I agree with the double purpose of some of Jesus' miracles - but people weren't simply sermon illustrations to Jesus....Jesus healed people simply because he loved them - not always because we wanted to prove a point or teach a lesson. Out of compassion, Jesus healed sickness.
Jesus healed people simply because he loved them - not always because we wanted to prove a point or teach a lesson. Out of compassion, Jesus healed sickness. I can't get away from this illustration of Jesus' attitude toward sickness. His desire was to remove what was causing needless suffering.
Certainly Jesus was moved by compassion to heal people at times. At other times He would heal only one or even pass by without healing.

In John 5 we read of Jesus healing an invalid at the Bethesda pool where many disabled people gathered. And Jesus slipped away into the crowd before the healed man had a chance to find out who He was. He does not appear to have healed anyone else on this occasion.

And consider this story:

Acts 3 (NKJV)
1. Now Peter and John went up together to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour. 2. And a certain man lame from his mother’s womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms from those who entered the temple; 3. who, seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, asked for alms. 4. And fixing his eyes on him, with John, Peter said, “Look at us.” 5. So he gave them his attention, expecting to receive something from them. 6. Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” 7. And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8. So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them—walking, leaping, and praising God.

So here we have a man, lame for many years, who was laid daily at the temple gate. How many times Jesus must have passed this man and never healed him. It might be argued that the man was placed at a gate that Jesus never happened to enter. That seems very unlikely; since the man was there to beg he was likely placed at the gate most often used.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”