God raised God from the dead?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
Jill

Re: God raised God from the dead?

Post by Jill » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:39 pm

Last edited by Jill on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierac

Post by Pierac » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:41 pm

dean198 wrote:
karenprtlnd wrote:I do not believe that Jesus Christ is God the Father, and I also believe that it was God the Father who raised up Jesus Christ from the dead by the power of the Holy ghost.

In a small group one sunday I mentioned that I believed that it was God the Father who had raised up His only begotten Son from the dead. Another member in the group disagreed and said that he believed that Jesus Christ had raised himself from the dead, to then ascended to the Father. I just do not read it that way. I still believe that God the Father raised up Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son (in the flesh) from the dead.
The Bible always says the Father did it, except in one place where Jesus says "destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up'. But in light of the very many other passages that say the Father did it, I take Jesus' words to mean he would raise up his body when the Father gives him life - in other words, he didn't say he would raise himself from the dead.
Joh 12:49 "For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.

Maybe it was the Father speaking...?

RND

Post by RND » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:14 pm

Pierac wrote:
dean198 wrote:
karenprtlnd wrote:I do not believe that Jesus Christ is God the Father, and I also believe that it was God the Father who raised up Jesus Christ from the dead by the power of the Holy ghost.

In a small group one sunday I mentioned that I believed that it was God the Father who had raised up His only begotten Son from the dead. Another member in the group disagreed and said that he believed that Jesus Christ had raised himself from the dead, to then ascended to the Father. I just do not read it that way. I still believe that God the Father raised up Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son (in the flesh) from the dead.
The Bible always says the Father did it, except in one place where Jesus says "destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up'. But in light of the very many other passages that say the Father did it, I take Jesus' words to mean he would raise up his body when the Father gives him life - in other words, he didn't say he would raise himself from the dead.
Joh 12:49 "For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.

Through Christ.

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

dean198

Post by dean198 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:36 pm

Pierac wrote:
dean198 wrote:
karenprtlnd wrote:
No, Christ never spoke for the Father in the first person.

Jill

Post by Jill » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:14 pm

pierac wrote- "Maybe it was the Father speaking...?"
karenprtlnd had written just before that- "I do not believe that Jesus Christ is God the Father, and I also believe that it was God the Father who raised up Jesus from the dead by the power of the Holy Ghost."
dean198 wrote- "No, Christ never spoke for the Father in the first person."
I say, that Jesus Christ can speak for/in the name of... God. God the Father.
And that it was God the Father who ordained Jesus Christ approved, raised, and ascended.
(Probably by the Holy Ghost, since of the Holy Ghost Mary was found with child.)

Pierac

Post by Pierac » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:01 pm

dean198 wrote:
Pierac wrote:
dean198 wrote:
No, Christ never spoke for the Father in the first person.
Scripture, teaches differently...

Act 2:22 "Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know--

Joh 14:10 "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works. ( Miracles )

You still don't see it do you? I'm so sorry as I can not make the blind to see....

John 8:40 "But as it is, you are seeking to kill Me, a man who has told you the truth, which I heard from God; this Abraham did not do.

Paul

dean198

Post by dean198 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:48 am

God gave Christ the words to say - that doesn't mean he spoke first person as the Father, because you can't find that in Scripture. I'm sorry you think you've stumbled on some great profound truth so that you think anyone disagreeing with you is 'blind'. I think you're best left alone. Nevertheless, so that 'every mouth might be stopped', here is what it actually says:

Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? But he spake of the temple of his body.

Who? The Father has a body?
Last edited by dean198 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

RND

Post by RND » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:56 am

dean198 wrote:God gave Christ the words to say - that doesn't mean he spoke first person as the Father, because you can't find that in Scripture. I'm sorry you think you've stumbled on some great profound truth so that you think anyone disagreeing with you is 'blind'. I think you're best left alone. Nevertheless, so that 'every mouth might be stopped', here is what it actually says:

Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? But he spake of the temple of his body.

Great points to ponder Dean. Very nice. This is the huge problem caused by the view that the scriptures must always be read "literally" as the rule.

"I and my Father are one." One what? The "literal" same thing or of one accord?
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

You Are Israel
Sabbath Truth
Heavenly Sanctuary

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:26 pm

Dean you wrote:Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? But he spake of the temple of his body.

Dean, God often spoke through the ancient Israeli prophets in the first person, though the words emerged from the prophets' mouths. This may have also been the case with the prophets of the early church.

Indeed, I think Jesus was prophesying when He spoke these words. But since the words came out of His mouth, John the writer commented, "But He (Jesus) spoke of the temple of His body."
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dean198

Post by dean198 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:43 pm

I think the straight forward reading is that Jesus was speaking. He never prophesies from the Father in the first person. I agree that God rose Jesus from the dead - he didn't do it himself, but I think your explanation is too much of a stretch. Jesus isn't saying he will raise himself from the dead, only that he will rise from the grave.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”