1Thessalonian Hapaxes

dizerner

Re: 1Thessalonian Hapaxes

Post by dizerner » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:35 pm

Do you have a link of where to obtain the Dabar translation. Also, it might be nice to share your own translations with us—

Are you specifically looking for help with understanding the meaning of the hapexes?

robinriley

Post by robinriley » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:12 pm

dizerner wrote:Do you have a link of where to obtain the Dabar translation. Also, it might be nice to share your own translations with us—

Are you specifically looking for help with understanding the meaning of the hapexes?
(robin)
Odd ... sorry dizerner, but I can not find any outlet, website for the purchase of this translation ... it's out there, and I got mine, personally, but for the life of me, I ... now ... dont see where you or others might obtain such a good scriptural tool ... life's a bitch, aint she ... OK, here's an option, a limited one, that's for sure, but it's an interesting, and valuable option ... "Bible Student's Press" out of Winder Pennesylvania ... something called the "Parallel Literal NT" (Concordant, Dabhar, Rotherham, Young") ... but it just contains Acts, and the epistles of Paul.
Sorry, I didn't realize that this helpful resource was so limited in publication ... sighhhh, there's a method to the Adversary's doings, and he is a powerful foe!

(dizerner)

(robin)
Do you usually ask teachers, if they need your help!

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:12 pm

(robin)
All you said so far is you're making a list of some hapaxes, and hapax is relative to whatever you define the source material as. Is that all you came to share? I thought you said something about "discussion," so my bad.

robinriley

Post by robinriley » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:08 pm

~
Last edited by robinriley on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:32 pm

robinriley wrote:
dizerner wrote:
(robin)
All you said so far is you're making a list of some hapaxes, and hapax is relative to whatever you define the source material as. Is that all you came to share? I thought you said something about "discussion," so my bad.
((robin)
Interesting .... that's ALL that you have perceived, so far ... oh well, it's a long journey we be in together.
Surely, dear dizzinesr, you must have perceived, that there be more fountiers to explore, than just these, my introductory hapaxes ... it's a touch and feel, blindman's attempt to fellowship, today, dont you know ... if you want to "one up," I'll give you that, you win, I lose, and off we both go, into the night ... it's fellowship I yearn for, thinking, and talking, and sharing, together.
Hapaxes be damned, if that's all you perceive that this attempt, at give and take discussion, is aimed at. So then, dizerner, just what did you come here for, what did you come here to share?
Okay, I think you misunderstood me maybe.... when I asked about the "meaning" of hapaxes, I didn't mean what hapax means, which you did a great job explaining. I meant the individual words and what they might mean. Maybe you got that, idk.

I'm willing to leave this behind us if you are....

robinriley

Post by robinriley » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:57 pm

(robin)
Here is my listiing of the 1Thessalonian Hapaxes ... being unique words, we have to be careful with how we might read them from the Greek to English;
hence my hesitatation in being adament about the suggested reading that I've assigned to each of these ... I've included an applicable verse with each
one, so that you, the reader, can look them up for yourself ... and assign your own English reading, if you're of a mind to. And, if you do, please don't
hesitate to tell me why your reading is better than mine ... because that's exactly what I'm looking for.

In 1Thessalonians there are 583 different words (different declensions, parsings, and spellings);
17 of these are unique (~p1~) within the New Testament; referred to as hapax legomenons (hapaxes).

0362 GK0388 anamenein (~p1~) to up-abide V-PAN.5721 [Verse 1:10]
0642 GK0682 aporphanisthentes (~p1~) having been away-orphaned V-APP-NPM.5685 [Verse 2:17]
0813 GK0863 ataktous (~p1~) to disarranged [ones] A-APM.08 [Verse 5:14]
1559 GK1691 ekdiOxantOn (~p1~) of having out-pursued V-AAP-GPM.5660 [Verse 2:15]
1837 GK2010 exEchEtai (~p1~) there has had been out-resounded V-RPI-3S.5769 [Verse 1:8]
2312 GK2532 theodidaktoi (~p1~) God-taught [ones] A-NPM.05 [Verse 4:9]
2752 GK3026 keleusmati (~p1~) unto a proclamation N-DSN.19 [Verse 4:16]
2850 GK3135 kolakeias (~p1~) of a flattery N-GSF.10 [Verse 2:5]
3642 GK3901 oligopsuchous (~p1~) to wee-souled [ones] [diminutive] A-APM.08 [Verse 5:14]
3651 GK3911 holoteleis (~p1~) to wholly-finished [ones] A-APM.08 [Verse 5:23]
3655a GK3916 homeiromenoi (~p1~) was 2442 being flowingly-attached V-PNP-NPM.5740 [Verse 2:8]
3743 GK4010 hosiOs (~p1~) benignly ADV [Verse 2:10]
4310 GK4634 propathontes (~p1~) having before-suffered V-2AAP-NPM.5631 [Verse 2:2]
4525 GK4883 sainesthai (~p1~) to be swayed V-PPN.5745 [Verse 3:3]
4853 GK5128 sumphuletOn (~p1~) of together-tribesmen N-GPM.06 [Verse 2:14]
5162 GK5577 trophos (~p1~) a wet-nurse/ a nanny N-NSF.09 [Verse 2:7]
5233 GK5648 huperbainein (~p1~) to over-step V-PAN.5721 [Verse 4:6]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Layman’s Companion (TLC) June 2016 Marlon and Robin

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
To view a copy of this license, visit http:65/creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:32 pm

robinriley wrote:(robin)
Here is my listiing of the 1Thessalonian Hapaxes ... being unique words, we have to be careful with how we might read them from the Greek to English;
hence my hesitatation in being adament about the suggested reading that I've assigned to each of these ... I've included an applicable verse with each
one, so that you, the reader, can look them up for yourself ... and assign your own English reading, if you're of a mind to. And, if you do, please don't
hesitate to tell me why your reading is better than mine ... because that's exactly what I'm looking for.

In 1Thessalonians there are 583 different words (different declensions, parsings, and spellings);
17 of these are unique (~p1~) within the New Testament; referred to as hapax legomenons (hapaxes).

0362 GK0388 anamenein (~p1~) to up-abide V-PAN.5721 [Verse 1:10]
0642 GK0682 aporphanisthentes (~p1~) having been away-orphaned V-APP-NPM.5685 [Verse 2:17]
0813 GK0863 ataktous (~p1~) to disarranged [ones] A-APM.08 [Verse 5:14]
1559 GK1691 ekdiOxantOn (~p1~) of having out-pursued V-AAP-GPM.5660 [Verse 2:15]
1837 GK2010 exEchEtai (~p1~) there has had been out-resounded V-RPI-3S.5769 [Verse 1:8]
2312 GK2532 theodidaktoi (~p1~) God-taught [ones] A-NPM.05 [Verse 4:9]
2752 GK3026 keleusmati (~p1~) unto a proclamation N-DSN.19 [Verse 4:16]
2850 GK3135 kolakeias (~p1~) of a flattery N-GSF.10 [Verse 2:5]
3642 GK3901 oligopsuchous (~p1~) to wee-souled [ones] [diminutive] A-APM.08 [Verse 5:14]
3651 GK3911 holoteleis (~p1~) to wholly-finished [ones] A-APM.08 [Verse 5:23]
3655a GK3916 homeiromenoi (~p1~) was 2442 being flowingly-attached V-PNP-NPM.5740 [Verse 2:8]
3743 GK4010 hosiOs (~p1~) benignly ADV [Verse 2:10]
4310 GK4634 propathontes (~p1~) having before-suffered V-2AAP-NPM.5631 [Verse 2:2]
4525 GK4883 sainesthai (~p1~) to be swayed V-PPN.5745 [Verse 3:3]
4853 GK5128 sumphuletOn (~p1~) of together-tribesmen N-GPM.06 [Verse 2:14]
5162 GK5577 trophos (~p1~) a wet-nurse/ a nanny N-NSF.09 [Verse 2:7]
5233 GK5648 huperbainein (~p1~) to over-step V-PAN.5721 [Verse 4:6]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Layman’s Companion (TLC) June 2016 Marlon and Robin

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
To view a copy of this license, visit http:65/creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.
Hey, I have a question. Does any suffix/prefix on a known word make a hapax? I've been discussing the meaning of ἀνακεφαλαιώσασθαι with someone, so it makes me curious. He was insisting it would mean the same thing as the base κεφαλή.

robinriley

Post by robinriley » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:40 am

(dizerner)
Does any suffix/prefix on a known word make a hapax?

(robin)
I'm thinking that if some base word/ stem had an added prefix or suffix, that it wouldn't still be that base word ... it would be a different word,
and if there were only one such combination word, then it would, indeed, be a hapaxe ... but then, I've been wrong before 8>

(dizerner)
I've been discussing the meaning of ἀνακεφαλαιώσασθαι with someone ...

(robin)
One of Pauls verbs, occures only twice: Rom 13:9 (V-ADN), and Eph 1:10 (V-PPI-3S) ...
a combination word, different parsings (and declination), but it's still the same word, used twice, not a hapaxe

0346 GK0368 anakephalaiOsasthai (p1/1) to up-sum V-ADN.5664
0346 GK0368 anakephalaioutai (p1/1) she be up-summed V-PPI-3S.5743
combinaton of the preposition #0303 (up, away, again, prefix re-) + #2775 (head, sum, gather)

"...in this, the word be up-summed in: TO THE [ONE] NIGH-TO OF YOU, AS YOURSELF YOU WILL LOVE."
(I read the third person as feminine, here, because it's referring back to a "command" which is feminine)

"...the fulfillment of the seasons to up-sum"

(dizerner)
... so it makes me curious. He was insisting it would mean the same thing as the base κεφαλή.

(robin)
Pauls uses the noun "head" 18 times ... is your friend suggesting that it somehow be used as a verb,
as in "Rawhide" where Roddie Yates says, "Head um up ..."

(robin)
They are differnet words, different means different ...
God's words are like pure silver, refined seven times;
God aint no hack, He knows His words, and how to use them;
and has different words to say differnt things.
God's not confused, like your friend is...
Last edited by robinriley on Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:43 am

robinriley wrote:(dizerner)
Does any suffix/prefix on a known word make a hapax?

(robin)
I'm thinking that if some base word/ stem had an added prefix or suffix, that it wouldn't still be that base word ... it would be a different word,
and if there were only one such combination word, then it would, indeed, be a hapaxe ... but then, I've been wrong before 8>

(dizerner)
I've been discussing the meaning of ἀνακεφαλαιώσασθαι with someone ...

(robin)
One of Pauls verbs, occures only twice: Rom 13:9 (V-ADN), and Eph 1:10 (V-PPI-3S) ...
a combination word, different parsings (and declination), but it's still the same word, used twice, not a hapaxe

(dizerner)
... so it makes me curious. He was insisting it would mean the same thing as the base κεφαλή.

(robin)
They are differnet words, different means different ...
God's words are like pure silver, refined seven times;
God aint no hack, He knows His words, and how to use them;
and has different words to say differnt things.
God's not confused, like your friend is...
Lol, yea a prefix can change a word a lot, but not necessarily I guess. Thanks for you help.

Btw, what do you think about pronunciation. Do you prefer Erasmian or Modern?

robinriley

Post by robinriley » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:06 am

(dizerner)
Lol, yea a prefix can change a word a lot, but not necessarily I guess.

(robin)
...seems that sometimes certain prepositions are added just to make the base word more emphatic,
or so I've been told; I dont always see it that way, but then some of my combination word readings
are terribly awkward ...

(dizerner)
Btw, what do you think about pronunciation. Do you prefer Erasmian or Modern?

(robin)
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king ... I'm almost deaf, fruits of my submarine service ... I have trouble saying English words correctly.
In the kingdom of the deaf, a one eared man can babble and get away with it.

Return to “Acts & Epistles”