Paul's Wishful Thinking?

TK

Paul's Wishful Thinking?

Post by TK » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:19 pm

2Timothy 4:16-18

At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
I came across these verses this morning, and in particular noted the underlined portion. A plain reading seems to suggest that Paul thought that he would escape martyrdom. I am not sure how else to take this statement. We know, of course, that this did not happen.

I think this is important because it demonstrates that Paul wasn't right about everything because in some instances he is expressing an opinion or a hope. In the Preterism debates here, I have argued that Paul's statements that seem to stress a "soon return" of the Lord may have been wishful thinking, while some of the FP's felt that such a position undermined the doctrine of inspiration and the authority of the scriptures because it implies that Paul was wrong.

What do y'all think?

TK

darinhouston

Re: Paul's Wishful Thinking?

Post by darinhouston » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:44 pm

I would suggest that Paul had a different perspective. I think his "escape" here was as it related to the freedom to proclaim the gospel, etc., and that death through martyrdom might well have been in mind by Paul as consistent with being brought safely home and another sort of rescue from evil attack.

TK

Post by TK » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks Darin--

But I think it is twisting Paul's plain statement somewhat to suggest he is REALLY saying.. "I am sure that God will rescue me from further evil attacks by seeing to it that I am beheaded or chewed up by wild animals." To me, he really seems to be expressing a hope or an expectation that God was going to deliver him "safely home."

of course you might be right.

TK

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:37 pm

At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Well Paul did end up home in heaven and was rescued from or through many evil attacks yet i think in other writings by him he said he would gladly suffer whatever sufferings that still needed to happen beyond Jesus sufferings, so i don't think he really expected to quietly die in his sleep if you read all his writings.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:16 pm

First, Paul certainly didn't expect the Lord to preserve him from death. For in the same letter, he indicates that he indicates that the time of his departure has come, and that he will receive the crown of righteousness on that Day (The Day of Christ in the resurrection):

2 Timothy 4:6-8 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

Secondly, Paul didn't declare that the Lord would rescue him from every evil "attack" but from every evil work. Both Barnes and Calvin indicate in their commentaries that it is any evil work which Paul himself might be tempted to do, from which the Lord will rescue him. However, this does not seem to fit with the verses which precede it. Personally, I have been persuaded that Adam Clarke had it right:
And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work. None of the evil designs formed against me to make me unfaithful or unsteady, to cause me to save my life at the expense of faith and a good conscience, shall succeed; my life may go, but he will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom. A continuance on earth the apostle expects not; but he has glory full in view, and therefore he gives God glory for what he had done, and for what he had promised to do.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Paidion wrote:First, Paul certainly didn't expect the Lord to preserve him from death. For in the same letter, he indicates that he indicates that the time of his departure has come, and that he will receive the crown of righteousness on that Day (The Day of Christ in the resurrection):

2 Timothy 4:6-8 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

Secondly, Paul didn't declare that the Lord would rescue him from every evil "attack" but from every evil work. Both Barnes and Calvin indicate in their commentaries that it is any evil work which Paul himself might be tempted to do, from which the Lord will rescue him. However, this does not seem to fit with the verses which precede it. Personally, I have been persuaded that Adam Clarke had it right:
And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work. None of the evil designs formed against me to make me unfaithful or unsteady, to cause me to save my life at the expense of faith and a good conscience, shall succeed; my life may go, but he will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom. A continuance on earth the apostle expects not; but he has glory full in view, and therefore he gives God glory for what he had done, and for what he had promised to do.
I think that's what I'm saying -- it was that the Lord's plans would not be thwarted, and that his own work would be done without interference until He went to be with the Lord.

TK

Post by TK » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks for posting that Paidion.

That does seem to make sense.

See Darin- you were right!

TK

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:28 pm

TK wrote:Thanks for posting that Paidion.

That does seem to make sense.

See Darin- you were right!

TK
If Paidion agrees with me, then it must be so...

Return to “Acts & Epistles”