Romans audience (historic question)

darinhouston

Romans audience (historic question)

Post by darinhouston » Sun May 03, 2009 8:45 am

It is generally understood, I believe, that Romans was written to Jews and Gentiles, but I'm confused -- weren't the jews expelled? Can someone clear this historic point up for me?

steve

Re: Romans audience (historic question)

Post by steve » Sun May 03, 2009 10:15 am

The details of this expulsion are not known. Both Suetonius and Act 18 mention the event, but Josephus does not, which has led some skeptics to think it never happened. Since Claudius died in AD54 the assumption is that the Jews who had been expelled were permitted to return to Rome after that. We know of at least on case of expelled Jews returning to Rome prior to the writing of Romans, namely, Priscilla and Aquila (Rom.16:3). If Romans was written in 57 or 58, this would allow for many Jews to have returned to Rome after the death of Claudius.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Sun May 03, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks -- that is very helpful -- I have trouble reading things without historic context, and I have trouble "picturing" the historic context without narrative, so that makes it very difficult for me to read the bible, in general. The narrative of your lectures have been really helpful for me in this regard.

Thanks Steve.

mikew

Post by mikew » Sun May 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Is this on the extreme end of skepticism or pretty normal? I found one article that said " Dio Cassius' comment that Claudius “did not drive them out [i.e., because there were so many] . . .but ordered them not to hold meetings" probably refers to the beginning of his reign when he showed tolerance to the Jews. Reposting of: Criswell Theological Review 5.1 (1990) 69-82.
http://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/Ted_Hil ... ts-CTR.htm

So how did the Church change during this period?
Were the Jews readily welcomed back into fellowship?
Please visit my youtube channel -- http://youtube.com/@thebibledialogues
Also visit parablesofthemysteries.com

Return to “Acts & Epistles”