Hebrews 8

richardruiter

Hebrews 8

Post by richardruiter » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:12 am

Hi,

A while back Steve was explaining on the radio about the new covenant and that the old one is obsolete.
13 When the Lord talks about a new agreement, he means that the first one is out of date. And anything that is old and useless will soon disappear.

This really made me understand more what God did by making a new covenant.
The one thing i don't really get is the following in verse 8:
I tell you the time will come, when I will make a new agreement with the people of Israel and the people of Judah.
Why does is say Israel & Juda and not the Church of God?

Regards,
Richard
Last edited by richardruiter on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve

Re: Hebrews 8

Post by steve » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:35 pm

The church is Israel. As the verse says, the name Israel belongs to the people with whom the New Covenant is enacted. Those who enter the new covenant are Israel, regardless of their race, just as those who adopted the first covenant (the one made at Sinai) were Israel, regardless of their race. At Sinai, there were ethnic Israelites as well as people of other races who joined them during or after the Exodus. Anyone who would be circumcised and keep the Jewish Sabbath and festivals (that is, to meet the covenant requirements) was entitled to be included in Israel. This was true when the first covenant was in force, and it remains true now that there is a new covenant.

The initial participants in the new covenant were ethic Judeans and Israelites (i.e., the disciples—Matt.26:28). This continued to be true long after Pentecost. This remnant of believing Jews comprised the true Israel (Rom.9:6). Eventually, many Gentiles willingly embraced the new covenant and became a part of the new covenant Israel as well (Romans 11:16-20). That would be us...also called "the Church."

richardruiter

Post by richardruiter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:38 am

That makes sense. Thank you.
I will study the verses you provided.

richardruiter

Post by richardruiter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:43 am

as well as people of other races who joined them during or after the Exodus.
Can you tell me where that is written? I know some places but is it thru the whole old testament?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:51 am

Can you tell me where that is written? I know some places but is it thru the whole old testament?richardruiter

Anyone could chose to follow the Old Covenant like Ruth or Rahab and some Egyptians who also left Egypt with the Iraelites.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:01 am

Exodus 12:38 says that those who left Egypt under Moses' leadership were a "mixed multitude" (a term which speaks of a racially and culturally mixed group in Nehemiah 13:3). Exodus 12:33-34 says that a foreign servant of an Israelite, once he has been circumcised, can participate in the religious life of Israel. As Steve said above, there we a number of known Gentile converts who became part of Israel, including Rahab and Ruth. Esther 8:17 tells us that, in Esther's time, "many of the people of the land [Persian Gentiles] became Jews; for the fear of the Jews fell upon them."

richardruiter

Post by richardruiter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks, Steve & Steve :P

Steve (Gregg) i don't know if you remember, but i send you an e-mail before in which i talked about the hostility towards people that question the people of Israel.
The hostility is really great in The Netherlands when you talked to Christians. I'm only searching for the truth and my goal is not to be right for argument sake. Love for the brethren is more important.
But i see now that believing in the old covenant can block the spiritual growth. At least it did with me. God has written the law in my heart. Praise Him.

How to deal with the hostility? Do i need to press on about this? Or is it better to keep the peace an swallow the Israel praises (which is hard)?
My feeling says the last, but i don't trust my feelings. Any advice?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:31 am

How to deal with the hostility? Do i need to press on about this? Or is it better to keep the peace an swallow the Israel praises (which is hard)?
My feeling says the last, but i don't trust my feelings. Any advice?

Jesus said what he had to say and if necessary explained himself but did'nt argue or try to convince people.They either had a heart to receive or not and then he moved on. If necessary hopefully you can agree to disagree on this matter.

Return to “Acts & Epistles”