The last will be first. How do you see it?

Ian

The last will be first. How do you see it?

Post by Ian » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:32 pm

I drive a 10-seater bus for handicapped children, some with "mere" learning difficulties (but on initial glance normal kids), others quite clearly visibly so.
I have one who is especially pitiful to look at and my heart goes out to her - and to her mum to be honest. Also she cannot speak. She is now 26, way overweight from lack of physical movement, and there`s an air of resigned sadness to her. She cast me not a single glance in the 45 minute journey today, but stared out of the window at who knows what.

Then this evening I joined my wife in watching Wimbledon tennis on tv. Two bronzed, sinewy and substantially rich and talented heroes slugged it out in front of an enthralled, nail-biting crowd of 15,000, two being stunning girlfriends sharing space in the respective player`s boxes with the likes of Ivan Lendl etc.

It got me to thinking again about Jesus` words the first will be last and the last will be first.

Jesus stressed the need to be born again to see the kingdom of heaven. Here in Switzerland many, even most people have never even heard of the concept of being born again, let alone sought it, and that goes for close to all of the children I`ve ever driven. Many of the latter are among the last in the world`s eyes. How though can they be first if they are not born again? I have never figured it out.

Which leads me to my question - how do you see this prophecy working out ultimately?

steve7150

Re: The last will be first. How do you see it?

Post by steve7150 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Which leads me to my question - how do you see this prophecy working out ultimately?
Ian

Well i have thought that in the context Jesus spoke it, he meant the Jews who received God's word first would be last generally speaking to enter the kingdom of God and the gentiles who received God's word last would grasp it first (generally speaking)and so enter the kingdom of God first.

Ian

Post by Ian » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:41 am

Hi Steve

In Matthew 20 where Jesus says this, there is indeed a succession of time at work, implying that he could, at least in part, have been talking about the Jews and Gentiles there.

But he also says the same or similar in Mark 10 in the passage about the rich young man. There he appears to be talking about individuals not groups of people. Admittedly he says "many", perhaps implying not all who are last will be first.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:06 am

But he also says the same or similar in Mark 10 in the passage about the rich young man. There he appears to be talking about individuals not groups of people. Admittedly he says "many", perhaps implying not all who are last will be first.
Ian

Yes and Mark 9.35 speaking to his disciples re anyone of you who desires to be first shall be last a servant to all. It sounds like God lifts the humble and resists the proud.

Return to “The Gospels”